Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › Idle PCs Waste Electricity
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Idle PCs Waste Electricity - Page 6

post #51 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
So am I getting this right...
Don't try to cure cancer because your efforts promote it!
Some one is looking in to to many mirrors at once here!
Folding also researches the likes of Alzheimers, (which perhaps someone who wrote that that garbage of F@H adds to cancer) Huntingtons, Parkinsons and others!
So what I'm saying is NO WAY IN HATIES am I'm stopping folding or should anyone!

Coprorations waste BILLIONS just leaving all those lights on!!!
250,000 Semi tractors idle for 8-10 hours a day to either keep warm or cool while the drivers sleep instead of getting a room causing polution and help to desstroy the ozone!!!
AM I RANTING, DARN RIGHT!
Corprate BS and they want the little guy to recycle while auto comapnies allow billions of pounds of plastics to go in the trash while we return a pop bottle!

GET A CLUE PEOPLE!

I agree with you...

This is all just a bunch of BS as far as I am concerned...If you pay your electric bill who cares wether you leave stuff on or not...you're paying for it...

This is just another reason to try to slide "Supply & Demand" in their favor so they can justify a price increase...

Just like the flourecent twist bulbs that are all the rave...BS...yea they save electric but at 800x's the cost to dispose of...Now who's stupid Idea was that to implement...come on Incandesent cost at a average of .30 each and has a very small cost to recycle due to NOT being hazardous...Now Flourecent twist bulbs are at a average $5.00ea and contain Mercury and cost alot to recycle/dispose of....god forbid should you bust one and have to get EPA cleanup for a single bulb...what a stupid Idea for replacement to save the world...

I agree we can cut cost and help save the planet but it shouldnt be at our cost...

thats like paying for bottled water when you can buy a decent water filter and drink all the water you want basically free...doh
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-860 ECS P55 Black Edition 2-4850X2 (Quadfire) 2x2GB Geil Black Dragon 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x640 Raid 0 DVD-RW XPpro, Vista, Win in x32 and x64 flavors Acer 22in Wide Screen 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
MS Ergonomic Corsair TX-850 Black ATX MS Optical 
Mouse Pad
yea right... 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-860 ECS P55 Black Edition 2-4850X2 (Quadfire) 2x2GB Geil Black Dragon 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x640 Raid 0 DVD-RW XPpro, Vista, Win in x32 and x64 flavors Acer 22in Wide Screen 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
MS Ergonomic Corsair TX-850 Black ATX MS Optical 
Mouse Pad
yea right... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #52 of 123
NOWAY PC's USE ELETRICITY WHEN LEFT ON?

****, how dumb are people that they need research into this.
Vostro 1500
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
C2D T7100 Vostro 1500 8600M GT 3Gb DDR2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
640Gb DVD-RW Windows 7 Premium 64bit 32" LG5700 1080p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Apple Wireless Battery ftw Vostro 1500 IntelliMouse Explorer 
Mouse Pad
Triumph mouse mate 
  hide details  
Reply
Vostro 1500
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
C2D T7100 Vostro 1500 8600M GT 3Gb DDR2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
640Gb DVD-RW Windows 7 Premium 64bit 32" LG5700 1080p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Apple Wireless Battery ftw Vostro 1500 IntelliMouse Explorer 
Mouse Pad
Triumph mouse mate 
  hide details  
Reply
post #53 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldovi View Post
Being responsible for 2% of the emissions per year, does not mean that the emissions are increasing my 2% per year.

Please correct that.
What I meant was part of that 2% remains.

Or better put... the remains of the 2%
Once again...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 [4.28GHz, HT] Asus P6T + Broadcom NetXtreme II VisionTek HD5850 [900/1200] + Galaxy GT240 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaw X [1632 MHz] 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel X25-M 160GB + 3xRAID0 500GB 7200.12 Window 7 Pro 64 Acer H243H + Samsung 226BW XARMOR-U9BL  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Truepower New 750W Li Lian PC-V2100 [10x120mm fans] Logitech G9 X-Trac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
Once again...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 [4.28GHz, HT] Asus P6T + Broadcom NetXtreme II VisionTek HD5850 [900/1200] + Galaxy GT240 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaw X [1632 MHz] 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel X25-M 160GB + 3xRAID0 500GB 7200.12 Window 7 Pro 64 Acer H243H + Samsung 226BW XARMOR-U9BL  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Truepower New 750W Li Lian PC-V2100 [10x120mm fans] Logitech G9 X-Trac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #54 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modki View Post
Yeah but once we cure cancer it won't matter. Duh.


POINT right there! lol
133MHZpow
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel P4 Soyo VIA P4M266  Nvidia 5200FX 1GB 
Optical DriveOSKeyboardPower
LiteOn DVD ROM Antix Linux Xtech Generic generic 400w 
CaseMouse
Compaq  BenQ optical 
  hide details  
Reply
133MHZpow
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel P4 Soyo VIA P4M266  Nvidia 5200FX 1GB 
Optical DriveOSKeyboardPower
LiteOn DVD ROM Antix Linux Xtech Generic generic 400w 
CaseMouse
Compaq  BenQ optical 
  hide details  
Reply
post #55 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by leimrod View Post
Now that the hyped up title has caught your attention. Here's why

Source: The Register



So you see, by folding you are trying to cure cancer by leaving your PC on, when in fact by leaving on your computer you are increasing the CO2 emmisions in the planet, increasing the chances of other forms of cancer such as lung and skin.

You are in fact part of the problem rather than part of the cure.

Think about it!

Theres no perfect world !
post #56 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwIsTeDbOi View Post
I personally think "Global warming" is a complete load of crap. It's just the media's and political power's way to a new found scare. What was our last one? Oh yeah, terrorism, and look what happened.
(I agree on the "terroism argument )

But may I ask you something?

How old are you? - Have you lived in an area for all your life.


Then ask yourself...
TRULY..

Have the .. general years.. gotten hotter?


Because your headstrong in proving your point - you may just jump to say "no".

But think about it....


I for one have seen it - and everyone that I"ve asked about it - say they realize that thier area(s) are getting hotter.

I mean - I dont know why its so hard to believe.

scientists from all over the world (not just affiliated with one group or country like.. say, the US) have observed that this layer of gasses is diminishing / has deminished over the years (observing it)...

TAHTS FACT.

the only thing that can be argued I guess - is if C02 IS really what is causing it.
But to me - regardless of what is, the FACT is.. that it is - and there's no room for comfort there.
133MHZpow
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel P4 Soyo VIA P4M266  Nvidia 5200FX 1GB 
Optical DriveOSKeyboardPower
LiteOn DVD ROM Antix Linux Xtech Generic generic 400w 
CaseMouse
Compaq  BenQ optical 
  hide details  
Reply
133MHZpow
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel P4 Soyo VIA P4M266  Nvidia 5200FX 1GB 
Optical DriveOSKeyboardPower
LiteOn DVD ROM Antix Linux Xtech Generic generic 400w 
CaseMouse
Compaq  BenQ optical 
  hide details  
Reply
post #57 of 123
It would take massively excess amounts of CO2 to affect us much at all. There are probably more plants than humans on this earth, and just so you know, those plants puke out CO2 as well (at nighttime when they're using the food they've made during the day).
post #58 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syrillian View Post
[/B]

there is a great power in pragmatism.

beggin' yer pardon... I think that you preceived my statement to be directed at you...

It was more toward the original post, and as a generalization...

I wasn't directing my comment at you, more towards, as you said, a generalization of what we need to do
Burning Phoenix
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q9550 Gigabyte EP45-UD3P eVGA GTX 260 Core 216 SuperClocked 4GB G.Skill DDR2-1000 5-5-5-15 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
3 WD 80GB RAID0, Seagate 500GB, WD 1TB Caviar BLCK Lite-On LH-20A1S Windoze 7 Professional Dual Dell E207WFP 20.1" Widescreen LCD's 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Silverstone OP750 Lian-Li PC-A10B Logitech G5 
Mouse Pad
Harley Davidson 
  hide details  
Reply
Burning Phoenix
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q9550 Gigabyte EP45-UD3P eVGA GTX 260 Core 216 SuperClocked 4GB G.Skill DDR2-1000 5-5-5-15 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
3 WD 80GB RAID0, Seagate 500GB, WD 1TB Caviar BLCK Lite-On LH-20A1S Windoze 7 Professional Dual Dell E207WFP 20.1" Widescreen LCD's 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Silverstone OP750 Lian-Li PC-A10B Logitech G5 
Mouse Pad
Harley Davidson 
  hide details  
Reply
post #59 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim View Post
(I agree on the "terroism argument )

But may I ask you something?

How old are you? - Have you lived in an area for all your life.


Then ask yourself...
TRULY..

Have the .. general years.. gotten hotter?


Because your headstrong in proving your point - you may just jump to say "no".

But think about it....


I for one have seen it - and everyone that I"ve asked about it - say they realize that thier area(s) are getting hotter.

I mean - I dont know why its so hard to believe.

scientists from all over the world (not just affiliated with one group or country like.. say, the US) have observed that this layer of gasses is diminishing / has deminished over the years (observing it)...

TAHTS FACT.

the only thing that can be argued I guess - is if C02 IS really what is causing it.
But to me - regardless of what is, the FACT is.. that it is - and there's no room for comfort there.
I'm not headstrong to prove my point, but no. I'm 18 and from the past couple years I've seen the complete opposite. Take this year for example, it was snowing in APRIL.

While yes, there have been years where we didn't get snow at all because of unusually high temps, but I've also noticed winter lasting unusually long as well.

Like I said, we all have our opinions and they aren't going to change no matter how much information or facts you throw at people. We believe what we want to believe.
post #60 of 123
I think there is an awful lot of obstinance in this thread. The evidence at this point is ambigious, as it can be used to bolster either side. I am not advocating waffling, but merely suggesting that more time, research and review needs to be committed before either side of this contentious debate can claim victory. In the mean time, foster your beliefs, act accordingly...and try to keep an open mind to all arguments.
Nerd_buckets
(13 items)
 
Stankonia
(15 items)
 
RUBIX n00b
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6700k Asus Z170 Pro Asus gtx1070 OC Strix gskill Trident Z 3000mhz 2*16 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 850 evo 1tb Samsung 960 pro 512gb (waiting on for OS drive) WD RED 4tb Corsair h100i v2 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Win 10 pro (fast ring) Dell u3417w EVGA Super Nova 850 T2 Define R5 
Mouse
MX Master 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-4100 Zambezi Asus M5A97 HIS HD6850 4 x 4GB Patriot DIV 2 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Crucial M4 128GB WD 2 x 300GB caviar in RAID 0 WD 1.0 TB WD 1.5 TB 
Optical DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
SAMSUNG Writemaster  WIN 7 x64 PRO / SLAX 13.37 x64 2 x Samsung LED 24" s24b350hl Logitech Access 
PowerCaseMouse
PPC Silencer 750w Custom Logitech g9 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Opty 175 ccbbe 0617 @ 1.46v DFI NF4 Expert 8800 gts 640 4*1gig Gskill HZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2 x WD cav 320 RAID 0 Samsung SH 183L Vista Ulti x64/ XP pro x 64 ViewSonic 22" 
PowerCaseMouse
PP&C 750w silence CM STACKER RBX edition Logitech g9 
  hide details  
Reply
Nerd_buckets
(13 items)
 
Stankonia
(15 items)
 
RUBIX n00b
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6700k Asus Z170 Pro Asus gtx1070 OC Strix gskill Trident Z 3000mhz 2*16 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 850 evo 1tb Samsung 960 pro 512gb (waiting on for OS drive) WD RED 4tb Corsair h100i v2 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Win 10 pro (fast ring) Dell u3417w EVGA Super Nova 850 T2 Define R5 
Mouse
MX Master 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-4100 Zambezi Asus M5A97 HIS HD6850 4 x 4GB Patriot DIV 2 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Crucial M4 128GB WD 2 x 300GB caviar in RAID 0 WD 1.0 TB WD 1.5 TB 
Optical DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
SAMSUNG Writemaster  WIN 7 x64 PRO / SLAX 13.37 x64 2 x Samsung LED 24" s24b350hl Logitech Access 
PowerCaseMouse
PPC Silencer 750w Custom Logitech g9 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Opty 175 ccbbe 0617 @ 1.46v DFI NF4 Expert 8800 gts 640 4*1gig Gskill HZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2 x WD cav 320 RAID 0 Samsung SH 183L Vista Ulti x64/ XP pro x 64 ViewSonic 22" 
PowerCaseMouse
PP&C 750w silence CM STACKER RBX edition Logitech g9 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › Idle PCs Waste Electricity