Originally Posted by Guruboy
It's a pretty common mistake to use irony as a description for what is really a coincidence. There's this one girl at my school who refuses to believe that saying "it's so ironic that we met here!" isn't ironic.
I may have failed english a few times, but I think my idea of the word irony is correct... Wikipedia:
An example of situational irony - the juxtaposition of the sign and its surroundings are unexpected
Players and events coming together in improbable situations creating a tension between expected and real results. Situational irony occurs when the results of a situation are far different from what was expected. This results in a feeling of surprise and unfairness due to the odd situation.
- A shipboard scene of reconciliation and hope for an estranged couple ends with the camera pulling back to reveal a life preserver stenciled â€œRMS Titanic.â€
- A situation immortalized in O. Henry's story The Gift of the Magi, in which a young couple is too poor to buy each other Christmas gifts. The man finally pawns his heirloom pocket watch to buy his wife a set of combs for her long, prized, beautiful hair. She, meantime, cuts her hair to sell to a wigmaker for money to buy her husband a watch-chain. The irony is twofold: the couple, having parted with their tangible valuables, is caused by the act to discover the richness of the intangible.
- When John Hinckley attempted to assassinate President Ronald Reagan, all of his shots initially missed the President; however a bullet ricocheted off the bullet-proof windows of the Presidential limousine and struck Reagan in the chest. Thus, the windows made to protect the President from gunfire were responsible for his being shot.
- Rock trio ZZ Top are famously associated with the chest-length beards of guitarist Billy Gibbons and bassist Dusty Hill. The group's drummer, who only has a mustache, happens to be named Frank Beard.
- A man goes over a giant waterfall e.g. Niagara Falls in a barrel and survives, only to take a cleanup shower where he slips on the soap and dies from trauma.
- An anti-technology website.
- An anti-capitalist sells anti-capitalism T-shirts for a profit.
Therefor, it was ironic that I got a "flame" while playing with fire
Sort of? lol.