Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › Is X38 worth waiting for?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is X38 worth waiting for? - Page 5

post #41 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xero. View Post
Oh I can have a field day bashing this one. It supports BOTH SLI AND CROSSFIRE! WHAT DONT YOU GET ABOUT THAT NOOB?!

That makes sense, the R600, due to some current driver upgrades, NOW COMPETES WITH AND SOMETIMES OUTPERFORMS AN 8800GTX!

If it overclocks well. EVERYONE who overclocks will be able to take advantage of that because they can have a board with great features, and a good overclock all in one. Even if it outperforms water cooling, try chilled water, push it farther. You see, the point to overclocking, IMO, is it's like a hobby, and you see how far you can push your hardware, and your pocket book. YES, it get's expensive, but you have to admit, a Q6600 at 4ghz with good temps doesn't sound to shabby, no?
I don't know where you get the information that current ATI R600 outperforms 8800gtx. The current highest DX10 ATI card is HD2900, which performance somewhere in the range as 8800GTS 320MB~640MB according to the test done by [H]Enthusiast in June. In addition, AMD has OFFICIALY announced that they will not compete with nVidia at high end video market at the moment and they have nothing matching 8800gtx series. The bottom line is that ATI is focusing more on the mass market now since $400 is what most ppl will pay for a video card.

As of x38 support both crossfire and SLI, that is a speculation. However, nVidia did OFFICIALY denied this possibility. Honestly, I think it is very possible for x38 included SLI in their feature list otherwise there is market room for x38 (if it is 30% more expensive).

Like I said earlier, overclocking is not going to be the main marketing factor for x38. At least not until the new 45nm Penryn core. Why? Because P35 can easily overclock above the thermal dissipation of most air and water cooler. As of Peltier cooler, they are not much better than a good waterblock since you have to cool both the heat from the thermoelectric effect and CPU. Not to mention that it suck a decent amount of wattage from PSU. So, the ability of OC higher than current P35 may only benefit those with phase cooler.
Lian Li v354
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 950 Asus Rampage III Gene GTX 580 Patriot 24GB 1600Mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
RE4 2TB + 7k3000 Raid 5 DVDRW Win 7 x64 (2) 24" Viewsonic LED 
PowerCase
Corsair 850w Lian Li v354 
  hide details  
Reply
Lian Li v354
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 950 Asus Rampage III Gene GTX 580 Patriot 24GB 1600Mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
RE4 2TB + 7k3000 Raid 5 DVDRW Win 7 x64 (2) 24" Viewsonic LED 
PowerCase
Corsair 850w Lian Li v354 
  hide details  
Reply
post #42 of 55
^^^^^^^^^^^
Fanboys XD
Since when do most people spend $400 on a graphics card? LOL at that for sure.
I've read many reviews that show that the 2900XT can perform within %5 of the 8800GTX. Obviously (due to the price) the GTX outperforms the 2900XT, but that gap is quickly closing after driver releases.
Overclocking WILL be one of the main marketing factors of the board, as it contains several things that OCers want:
Intel chipset that OCs well
2 full 16X PCI-E 2.0 (I think even 3 full ones)
Crossfire (and speculated SLI) support
I haven't fully overclocked the potential out of my motherboard/CPU yet, as I've been very busy. However, I'm sure that the X38 will have some improvements regarding OCing. I mean if what you say is true about heat limits on the chipset, then maybe the X38 will require less NBV....
PWNzershreck
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4930K @ 4.6 GHz ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition MSI GTX 1080 FE Heatkiller Acetal 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600C9 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2x Samsung 840 Pro  ASUS DVD-RW SATA Koolance 380i & 2x HW Labs 480GTX Arch Linux x86_64, Windows 7 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG UC88-B Ultrawide, ASUS VS278Q Ducky Corsair AX1200i Caselabs STH10 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G500 Func 1030 ASUS Xonar Essence STX 
  hide details  
Reply
PWNzershreck
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4930K @ 4.6 GHz ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition MSI GTX 1080 FE Heatkiller Acetal 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600C9 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2x Samsung 840 Pro  ASUS DVD-RW SATA Koolance 380i & 2x HW Labs 480GTX Arch Linux x86_64, Windows 7 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG UC88-B Ultrawide, ASUS VS278Q Ducky Corsair AX1200i Caselabs STH10 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G500 Func 1030 ASUS Xonar Essence STX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #43 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by psun786 View Post
There is no reason getting x38 if it doesn't support nVidia SLI and is more expensive than p35.

Crossfire pretty much died when ATI announced that they will not be competing with nVidia at high end video card market. A 8800GTX ultra has better performance than all current crossfire setup. Why would extreme gamer want to go crossfire?

P35 overclock so well that even watercooling seems unable to keep up with the FSB. Even though if the x38 has better potential @ oc, most ppl won't get to experience it (except those with phase change -> population less than 0.05%)
Crossfire does offer similar performance scaling as SLI. Therefore it is completely useful. A 8800GTX Ultra doesn't match the performance of two 2900XT videocards in CrossFire. Quite off topic, but there is no reason to get a 8800GTX Ultra.

The P35 may obtain insanely high FSB. But what you don't realize it that the P35 is trading latencies for those high FSB's. The X38 may likely be able to achieve the same FSB as the P35, but with significantly less latencies.

The X38 also supports 49 lanes of PCI Express 2.0
System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2500k ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen 3 AMD 7970 16GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel 520 256GB SATA DVD Burner Windows 7 64 bit Deal U2410 
KeyboardPowerMouse
Adesso Mechanical Silverstone OP650 Logitech G700 
  hide details  
Reply
System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2500k ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen 3 AMD 7970 16GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel 520 256GB SATA DVD Burner Windows 7 64 bit Deal U2410 
KeyboardPowerMouse
Adesso Mechanical Silverstone OP650 Logitech G700 
  hide details  
Reply
post #44 of 55
So should we wait????

Why wait when you can upgrade
Shop Dog
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 Asus Blitz Formula SE HD3870X2 G Skill 2 x 2GB DDR2 800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Velociraptor 150GB LG DVD Burner Vista Ultimate 64 AOC 21.5" LED 1080p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Deck Legend Silverstone 750 Modular OverClock Edition Lian Li V1100 Logitech Trackball 
Mouse Pad
Nope 
  hide details  
Reply
Shop Dog
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 Asus Blitz Formula SE HD3870X2 G Skill 2 x 2GB DDR2 800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Velociraptor 150GB LG DVD Burner Vista Ultimate 64 AOC 21.5" LED 1080p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Deck Legend Silverstone 750 Modular OverClock Edition Lian Li V1100 Logitech Trackball 
Mouse Pad
Nope 
  hide details  
Reply
post #45 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by binormalkilla View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^
I've read many reviews that show that the 2900XT can perform within %5 of the 8800GTX. Obviously (due to the price) the GTX outperforms the 2900XT, but that gap is quickly closing after driver releases.
The performance difference between 2900xt 512mb and 8800gtx is 25% on average. You see this gap increase when playing game at full AA & AF and higher res, while the difference reduce to 5% at low res without AA & AF. Here is a review done by xtreview.com http://xtreview.com/review196.htm

As of 2900xt 1gb version. They perform similar at low res setting and difference is about 5%~10% at max res and AA/ AF

I don't know why new driver releases would shorten the gap since both ATI and nVidia are currently improving their drivers.
Lian Li v354
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 950 Asus Rampage III Gene GTX 580 Patriot 24GB 1600Mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
RE4 2TB + 7k3000 Raid 5 DVDRW Win 7 x64 (2) 24" Viewsonic LED 
PowerCase
Corsair 850w Lian Li v354 
  hide details  
Reply
Lian Li v354
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 950 Asus Rampage III Gene GTX 580 Patriot 24GB 1600Mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
RE4 2TB + 7k3000 Raid 5 DVDRW Win 7 x64 (2) 24" Viewsonic LED 
PowerCase
Corsair 850w Lian Li v354 
  hide details  
Reply
post #46 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberDruid View Post
So should we wait????

Why wait when you can upgrade
not sure about you, but just for the PCI-e 2.0, im waiting.......

think PCI-e 2.0 = at least 3 years of trouble free (no more slot problems) graphics upgrades
think xfire + SLi ability
think "designed for overclock"


btw, stop with the ATI vs nVidia discussion. this is a motherboard forum section.
post #47 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldovi View Post
Quite off topic, but there is no reason to get a 8800GTX Ultra.
What is a GTX Ultra???
post #48 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by cognoscenti View Post
What is a GTX Ultra???
umm he means Gtx or Ultra
Oh The Glorrryyy
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 630 MSI THANG 2x4830 8gb Gskill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveMonitorPowerCase
2x250gb 1x100gb 1x20gb 1920x1080 23in  500watt Rosewill Open Air 
  hide details  
Reply
Oh The Glorrryyy
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 630 MSI THANG 2x4830 8gb Gskill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveMonitorPowerCase
2x250gb 1x100gb 1x20gb 1920x1080 23in  500watt Rosewill Open Air 
  hide details  
Reply
post #49 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by cognoscenti View Post
What is a GTX Ultra???
A GTX Ultra is the 8800GTX Ultra graphics card... it is basically the 8800GTX but overclocked and therefore a bit over the top and a waste of money for the extra $100 or so it costs.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 Quad Core (G0 Stepping) Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R ATI Radeon Powercolour 4870 1GB 4 x 1GB (4GB's) 800mhz 6400 Geil Ultra Low Latency 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 Windows Vista Home Premium Corsair 620WT SLI Certified Modular ATX Thermaltake Kandalf VA9000BWS (Black) 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech MX Revolution Slicksteel Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 Quad Core (G0 Stepping) Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R ATI Radeon Powercolour 4870 1GB 4 x 1GB (4GB's) 800mhz 6400 Geil Ultra Low Latency 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 Windows Vista Home Premium Corsair 620WT SLI Certified Modular ATX Thermaltake Kandalf VA9000BWS (Black) 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech MX Revolution Slicksteel Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #50 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFatBloke View Post
A GTX Ultra is the 8800GTX Ultra graphics card... it is basically the 8800GTX but overclocked and therefore a bit over the top and a waste of money for the extra $100 or so it costs.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel Motherboards
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › Is X38 worth waiting for?