Overclock.net banner

Dying motherboard? What are the signs?

30K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  txtmstrjoe 
#1 ·
Some may know about my rig's recent issues from this thread. Unfortunately, it seems as if my motherboard is showing signs of giving up the ghost.

Aside from the problems described in the thread referenced above, one of the USB ports just died last night. Three of the rear ports (there are four) still work, but it's still mildly distressing that one has died. I'll try a possible fix later, but honestly I'm not optimistic.

Also, the rig has shown a disconcerting tendency to fail on restarts. Like, say, you have to reboot (after a software update, say); it will shutdown, but then the HDD activity LED on the case will stay on; however, the power LED will stay off. But there's still power going through the system, because all the fans are still working. Even when the HDD activity LED winks off, the fan still stays on.

So, please, comments, opinions, suggestions for a possible fix?

I'd be most grateful.

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't really know what to tell you, it looks like the mobo is the problem. Your PSU looks too beast to be the problem (although there is a small possibility, a faulty PSU can basically do anything to your system).

I recommend replacing the motherboard as soon as you can so as to eliminate the risk of damaging other parts in your system.

Hopefully your still in the position to RMA it because the A8N32-SLI DLX is a sweet board.

Good luck with it all.

#4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by killerhz View Post
Did you make sure all the PSU connections are connected? Seems kind of simple but, you never know. IS there anyway you can test your components in another computer to see which hardware fails? That's all I can think of at the moment.
I've pretty much tested everything on another tester rig, except for the PSU.

As far as checking PSU connectors, all the necessary ones are indeed connected.

Thanks for the feedback, though.

Meditate on this problem some more, I will...

#6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by grunion View Post
How old is the OS install?
Hmmm... about a month? Maybe a week less than that? (Three weeks.)

#8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by txtmstrjoe View Post
I've pretty much tested everything on another tester rig, except for the PSU.

As far as checking PSU connectors, all the necessary ones are indeed connected.

Thanks for the feedback, though.

Meditate on this problem some more, I will...

Man this is a tough issue..Your PSU seems to be killer but you haven't tested it so maybe that's it. Have you tried to do a fresh install? Wait are there any errors in the event viewer? Control Panel\\Administrative Tools\\Event Viewer

#9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by grunion View Post
No probs before the install?
Before the reinstallation? The only problem of note was something I'd tolerated forever, which was that the system would revert back to stock settings when emerging from Sleep mode. Other than that, nope. Pretty trouble-free.

#10 ·
Quote:

Man this is a tough issue..Your PSU seems to be killer but you haven't tested it so maybe that's it. Have you tried to do a fresh install? Wait are there any errors in the event viewer? Control Panel\\Administrative Tools\\Event Viewer
The only errors were network settings errors (DHCP, Master Browser, etc.). Other than that, nope.

I'll probably swap out the PSU, just to eliminate that as a possibility.

Thanks again.

#13 ·
I've done some tests with another PSU (a Corsair HX620W, just so we know what we're working with here), and the problems still persist, much to my frustration.

It's looking more and more like the motherboard is indeed the culprit here.

I'm seriously considering an RMA to Asus here, so obviously I'll likely be getting the exact same model motherboard. If this were the strategy I pursue, I'd like to ask the group a question:

If I replace the actual motherboard with another example of the same exact model, will that necessitate a Windows reinsallation?

Thanks again for any and all responses.

#14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by txtmstrjoe View Post

If I replace the actual motherboard with another example of the same exact model, will that necessitate a Windows reinsallation?

Thanks again for any and all responses.

No takers?

(Dials Obi-Wan Kenobi...)

#16 ·
Quote:

If it's the same mobo and HD you shouldn't have to but there has been people that I kno who had to reactivate window.

Dude you have 600 post
I can't wait till I get that many.
Thanks again, KillerHz (love the screen name!), for all the attention.

Am going to RMA my motherboard. Dunno when my sig rig will be up and running again, but it will be.

BTW, been researching this issue. It looks like a failure of the chipset cooling caused some irregularity in the function of the NB. I took the motherboard out, and the cause became immediately obvious: The heatsink (cooled passively by the heatpipe system in the A8N32-SLI Deluxe) wasn't seated properly on the chip. The spring clips that hold it down worked loose (still don't know how that could have happened), so the chip was slow-cooked whilst operating at higher ambient temperatures lately.

Thanks again to everyone who helped me on this!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.