Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › WEIRD- flashing 7800gt - no more fan control?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

WEIRD- flashing 7800gt - no more fan control?

post #1 of 5
Thread Starter 
Hi all.

After flashing my Gainward glh 7800gt 512mb Pci-e with modified orig. bios (nibitor->nvflash- want to put my oc freq into bios) my fan stopped responding to rivatuner adjustment. It just spins at constant rpms (i think it is at 28% .i.e at 2d speeds) no mater what I do.

I reinstalled, re-flashed with orig. bios, with bios where I put all fan values at 100% - nothing. It is like my 7800 became 7900 - no fan control. All values program ok (checked in nibitor) and work ok (except fan values). RT also reports changing fan duty cycle percentage, but fan remains at 28 (even as RT shows it is running at 100%).

I guess my question would be: Can bios flashing destroy hardware? Is fan regulation done through GPU or is there a separate circuit?

Card otherwise works fine. It just overheats in 3d at stock speeds since fan is always at 28% (silent mode). I tried with other fan...same thing.

Any help/insight will be greatly appreciated.
post #2 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by klanjsek View Post
Hi all.

After flashing my Gainward glh 7800gt 512mb Pci-e with modified orig. bios (nibitor->nvflash- want to put my oc freq into bios) my fan stopped responding to rivatuner adjustment. It just spins at constant rpms (i think it is at 28% .i.e at 2d speeds) no mater what I do.

I reinstalled, re-flashed with orig. bios, with bios where I put all fan values at 100% - nothing. It is like my 7800 became 7900 - no fan control. All values program ok (checked in nibitor) and work ok (except fan values). RT also reports changing fan duty cycle percentage, but fan remains at 28 (even as RT shows it is running at 100%).

I guess my question would be: Can bios flashing destroy hardware? Is fan regulation done through GPU or is there a separate circuit?

Card otherwise works fine. It just overheats in 3d at stock speeds since fan is always at 28% (silent mode). I tried with other fan...same thing.

Any help/insight will be greatly appreciated.
yes if it goes rong ..its as good as a brick...do what iv done,,,



unplug the fan from the bord and link in to the 12v line in your computer {make sure its rated 12v first}...
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700k z 170 pro gameing GTX980 16 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
samsung ssd  SUPER WRITE MASTER. Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo win10 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS VW 199D g510 G7.. BitFenix Merc Beta Mid ATX Case 
MouseAudio
logitech m185 onbord. 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700k z 170 pro gameing GTX980 16 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
samsung ssd  SUPER WRITE MASTER. Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo win10 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS VW 199D g510 G7.. BitFenix Merc Beta Mid ATX Case 
MouseAudio
logitech m185 onbord. 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 5
Thread Starter 
At 100% (12v) fan is loud as hell....(I used to have it at 65% for 3d)

I guess if will not get any solution I will go for zalman, which does not use onborad fan...

ahhh...this is frustrating...:swearing: :swearing: :swearing:
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by klanjsek View Post
At 100% (12v) fan is loud as hell....(I used to have it at 65% for 3d)

I guess if will not get any solution I will go for zalman, which does not use onboard fan...

ahhh...this is frustrating...:swearing: :swearing: :swearing:
or you cud get your hands on a fan speed controller..

or put a variable resistor in Line with the 12v
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700k z 170 pro gameing GTX980 16 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
samsung ssd  SUPER WRITE MASTER. Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo win10 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS VW 199D g510 G7.. BitFenix Merc Beta Mid ATX Case 
MouseAudio
logitech m185 onbord. 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700k z 170 pro gameing GTX980 16 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
samsung ssd  SUPER WRITE MASTER. Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo win10 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS VW 199D g510 G7.. BitFenix Merc Beta Mid ATX Case 
MouseAudio
logitech m185 onbord. 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 5
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel View Post
or you cud get your hands on a fan speed controller..

or put a variable resistor in Line with the 12v
You are right of course, but having automaton was nice...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: NVIDIA
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › WEIRD- flashing 7800gt - no more fan control?