Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › Upcoming games are "boring to death" said EA CEO
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Upcoming games are "boring to death" said EA CEO - Page 3

post #21 of 47
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namrac View Post
I would think that HL2 Episode 2 would be released by Valve over steam and in stores... not EA.
Uhmm, I read somewhere that EA will distribute this Orange Box but I'm maybe wrong, I hope I'm wrong.
Of A Down Redux
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E4300 @ 3.0Ghz GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L VisionTek HD4850 Corsair XMS2 2GB DDR2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD320 + WD400 HP DVD burner Windows XP PRO Samsung 226BW 22" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Generic Hp keyboard FSP 450W + TT 430W Antec 3000B MX518 
Mouse Pad
Staples' 
  hide details  
Reply
Of A Down Redux
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E4300 @ 3.0Ghz GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L VisionTek HD4850 Corsair XMS2 2GB DDR2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD320 + WD400 HP DVD burner Windows XP PRO Samsung 226BW 22" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Generic Hp keyboard FSP 450W + TT 430W Antec 3000B MX518 
Mouse Pad
Staples' 
  hide details  
Reply
post #22 of 47
First person shooters suck enough as it is. The only thing they're good for is displaying the best graphics today's technology has to offer. The only really good FPS i've played in the last 3 years is fear, and the gameplay wasn't THAT good, not to mention it was pretty short lived. But the game did scare the pants off me.

RPG's and RTS's are all slowly starting to blend together. This isn't just the case with blizzard made games, but almost all big names in the genres.

Then there are games like katmari damacy, which just rock.

But the only games that have through and through entertained me for many hours are the GTA games. I think the recorded time for when i first beat san andreas was somewhere in 90 hours, and i just started a game 2 weeks ago and already have 30 hours logged into it.


I agree with Walk_this_way that in a sense high-learning curve games can be more fun cause once you learn theres usually a lot of content to burn through.

I think the biggest problem the industry has, though, is its inability to make any good movies into video games. Ever. Personally those are the types of games i want to play most. If I go see die hard 4 the one thing i'm thinking is "JESUS I WANT TO BE @#$%#ING JOHN MCLAIN **** OMFGOMFGOMFOGFMOFMGOFMG". If there just so happened to be a good Die Hard 4 game out, you could bet it would entertain me for a while.

WoW is a great game, and is dominating nearly all of the market, leaving many game creators in an apathetic money hungry trance. But I think because its dying now for reasons not worth getting into here (expansion pack) we're gonna see a lot of gamers with a lot more time on their hands and a much more demanding market.
Buddha's PC
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k Gigbyte Z77X- UD3H GTX 670 Samsung DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
500GB Seagate 7200RPM 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 Windows 7 Ultimate 23" Samsung Syncmaster 2333SW 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
23" Samsung Syncmaster 2333SW 23" Samsung Syncmaster 2333SW Filco Ninja Majestouch 2 PCP&P 610w Silencer 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Antec 1200 Razer Deathadder 3.5G Mionix Sargas Logitech G930 
  hide details  
Reply
Buddha's PC
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k Gigbyte Z77X- UD3H GTX 670 Samsung DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
500GB Seagate 7200RPM 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 Windows 7 Ultimate 23" Samsung Syncmaster 2333SW 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
23" Samsung Syncmaster 2333SW 23" Samsung Syncmaster 2333SW Filco Ninja Majestouch 2 PCP&P 610w Silencer 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Antec 1200 Razer Deathadder 3.5G Mionix Sargas Logitech G930 
  hide details  
Reply
post #23 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by liermam View Post
First person shooters suck enough as it is. The only thing they're good for is displaying the best graphics today's technology has to offer. The only really good FPS i've played in the last 3 years is fear, and the gameplay wasn't THAT good, not to mention it was pretty short lived. But the game did scare the pants off me.

RPG's and RTS's are all slowly starting to blend together. This isn't just the case with blizzard made games, but almost all big names in the genres.

Then there are games like katmari damacy, which just rock.

But the only games that have through and through entertained me for many hours are the GTA games. I think the recorded time for when i first beat san andreas was somewhere in 90 hours, and i just started a game 2 weeks ago and already have 30 hours logged into it.


I agree with Walk_this_way that in a sense high-learning curve games can be more fun cause once you learn theres usually a lot of content to burn through.

I think the biggest problem the industry has, though, is its inability to make any good movies into video games. Ever. Personally those are the types of games i want to play most. If I go see die hard 4 the one thing i'm thinking is "JESUS I WANT TO BE @#$%#ING JOHN MCLAIN **** OMFGOMFGOMFOGFMOFMGOFMG". If there just so happened to be a good Die Hard 4 game out, you could bet it would entertain me for a while.

WoW is a great game, and is dominating nearly all of the market, leaving many game creators in an apathetic money hungry trance. But I think because its dying now for reasons not worth getting into here (expansion pack) we're gonna see a lot of gamers with a lot more time on their hands and a much more demanding market.
Don't generalize FPS games, games like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and HL 2 series prove that great graphics aren't necessary for a great game. Graphics are integral to FPS games unlike many other genres because it depends largely on immersion and the illusion of actually looking through the eyes of the protagonist of the game.

Agreed, the state of movie->game conversions is horrible. I thought things would look up after the Riddick game, but alas!
Current Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 920 Asus P6T Gigabyte 4870 1 GB Kingston 3 x 2 GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
WD 750GB LG DVD Drive Windows 7 x64 Corsair HX 520W 
  hide details  
Reply
Current Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 920 Asus P6T Gigabyte 4870 1 GB Kingston 3 x 2 GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
WD 750GB LG DVD Drive Windows 7 x64 Corsair HX 520W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #24 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walk_this_way View Post
Don't generalize FPS games, games like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and HL 2 series prove that great graphics aren't necessary for a great game. Graphics are integral to FPS games unlike many other genres because it depends largely on immersion and the illusion of actually looking through the eyes of the protagonist of the game.

Agreed, the state of movie->game conversions is horrible. I thought things would look up after the Riddick game, but alas!
Although HL2 has great graphics anyways, even quite good by modern games! But even if the graphics weren't great it would be awesome. It's my favorite game ever!

STALKER looks good SOMETIMES, but sometimes the graphics look really bad... I don't have any examples, but sometimes I see a screen and go "ew..."
But I haven't played it either, so it may be super fun.

Far Cry is an example. AWESOME game, but out of date graphics. I still play it.

Hell, does it look like graphics are the decisive factor for me? Look at my rig! I can't even run pretty games very pretty, with the exception of HL2 because it's so amazingly optimized <3
Pumpmaster Flex
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 ASUS R9 280X DirectCU II TOP 3 GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB DDR4 3200 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB Cryorig H7 Windows 10 Pro Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA SuperNOVA 850w Fractal Design Define R5 Black Silent Logitech G502 Proteus Core SteelSeries QcK Heavy 
OtherOtherOther
Sennheiser HD 598 Special Edition Over-Ear Head... Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Headphones AntLion ModMic 
  hide details  
Reply
Pumpmaster Flex
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 ASUS R9 280X DirectCU II TOP 3 GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB DDR4 3200 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB Cryorig H7 Windows 10 Pro Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA SuperNOVA 850w Fractal Design Define R5 Black Silent Logitech G502 Proteus Core SteelSeries QcK Heavy 
OtherOtherOther
Sennheiser HD 598 Special Edition Over-Ear Head... Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Headphones AntLion ModMic 
  hide details  
Reply
post #25 of 47
The only good movie to game that I have played is The Chronicles of Riddick, great game but a lot of people put off by Vin Diesel.

A lot of games nowadays are too short, although saying that the original Doom took me quite a while to complete when I first played it. I quickly learnt how to do it very quickly.
New Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 @ 3.6GHz Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R PowerCooler HD4890 1GB 6GB Corsair DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1.5TB Philips DVD-RW (Liteon rebrandeL) Windows 7 x64 Ultimate 24" Dell 2407 WFP 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000 Corsair HX620W Antec Twelve Hundred Logitech G7 
Mouse Pad
Large Steelpad 
  hide details  
Reply
New Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 @ 3.6GHz Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R PowerCooler HD4890 1GB 6GB Corsair DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1.5TB Philips DVD-RW (Liteon rebrandeL) Windows 7 x64 Ultimate 24" Dell 2407 WFP 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000 Corsair HX620W Antec Twelve Hundred Logitech G7 
Mouse Pad
Large Steelpad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #26 of 47
I have a relative who works for EA and I spoke with him about 3 weeks ago about this very subject. He said he really likes the new CEO because he is not afraid to speak his mind, just like Reggie.

The old CEO had become too content with EA's market position, thus not pushing the envelope that got them to the top. With new direction at the top of the company, he said good things are coming from EA in the coming years. I think the company went through its rough period and is in position to really handle its business and focus on improved content.

I believe he is even talking about EA when he says games are boring. He has a point there.
post #27 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by csm11 View Post
I have a relative who works for EA and I spoke with him about 3 weeks ago about this very subject. He said he really likes the new CEO because he is not afraid to speak his mind, just like Reggie.

The old CEO had become too content with EA's market position, thus not pushing the envelope that got them to the top. With new direction at the top of the company, he said good things are coming from EA in the coming years. I think the company went through its rough period and is in position to really handle its business and focus on improved content.

I believe he is even talking about EA when he says games are boring. He has a point there.
I doubt one CEO will be capable of making necessary changes, EA is one vast company. We're talking about a lot of game franchises that just release the same nonsense year after year. I have a feeling they'll only change their attitude when their sales go down and that'll only happen if people stop buying their crappy sports franchises (I'm thinking Fifa....)
Current Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 920 Asus P6T Gigabyte 4870 1 GB Kingston 3 x 2 GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
WD 750GB LG DVD Drive Windows 7 x64 Corsair HX 520W 
  hide details  
Reply
Current Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 920 Asus P6T Gigabyte 4870 1 GB Kingston 3 x 2 GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
WD 750GB LG DVD Drive Windows 7 x64 Corsair HX 520W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #28 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by liermam View Post
First person shooters suck enough as it is. The only thing they're good for is displaying the best graphics today's technology has to offer.
Agree 100%!!! When is the last time a GOOD military flight sim came out? Lock On is a piece of crap and Falcon is almost 10 years old now and has seen the end of its life. I know us sim guys are a very small minority but we have to build our own games (Fighter Ops) because we have been completely abandoned. Sorry for the rant lol.
Money Pit
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6600 DFI LP P35 Dark EVGA 8800GT 2GB DDR2 800 Ballistix Tracers 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
200 GB Maxtor / 80 GB WD Sony DVD RW XP Pro 24" Samsung 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Wireless 600w Thermaltake Cooler Master 690 Logitech MX 518 
  hide details  
Reply
Money Pit
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6600 DFI LP P35 Dark EVGA 8800GT 2GB DDR2 800 Ballistix Tracers 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
200 GB Maxtor / 80 GB WD Sony DVD RW XP Pro 24" Samsung 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Wireless 600w Thermaltake Cooler Master 690 Logitech MX 518 
  hide details  
Reply
post #29 of 47
He also said that some of the game developers themselves are embrasing this change as well. From a game developer's point of view, it can get boring making the same game year after year, just like playing the same game year after year.

In our company, we changed our CEO about 4 years ago and since then we have seen a tremendous change in culture and morale. A CEO can clean house and bring in more talent than one would think. Our company has about 4,500 employees just in the United States, so it can be done.

Four years does seem like a long time, but in business it really isn't too long. Entire projects take 1-3 years to complete and roll out across our entire company.

I understand your scepticism completely. However, if he brings a positive and stong vision to the company, it will turn into great things for that company down the road.
post #30 of 47
In my opinion, a big problem with the current gaming industry is that most games seem to be duplicates of older games that were at least moderately successful. I'm not going to bash anyone in particular, but so many developers out there simply pick an older game that sold well or had a good rep, update the graphics a little, and re-release it as a stand alone product instead of calling it the near carbon copy it should be known as.

I'm by no means a professional gamer, but I don't exactly suck at most of them either. I'd say "middle of the road" fits me pretty well. I don't go out and buy the newest stuff, I don't get my name on the uber rankings pages, I don't really have a favorite genre...I just play what I want because I enjoy it.

FEAR and HL2 are the only games I've bought in the past year or so that gave me the feeling I'd received my money's worth. FEAR is more or less a by-the-numbers FPS but the story made it worth replaying a couple of times. HL2 on the other hand was almost a whole new beast. It has obvious strong roots in the FPS genre, but adding in an entertaining story, extras like the boat and jeep parts, missions like you'd see in an RPG...these things are what makes it such a great game. The devs did something different instead of filling in the blanks in a template, and it paid off for them. If more devs would take a chance every now and then, the industry would definitely benefit.

EA should be at the front of this movement since they are the leader of the pack. If they'd invest a small portion of the billions they earn each year into producing new products instead of "Madden XX" every year, they'd help the whole industry. Unfortunately EA are the worst offenders when it comes to cut and paste game production. Their flagship product (Madden series) is a prime example of how bad they are. Each year they release a new version of an old game with some minor graphics tweaks and renamed players and they sell it at a premium price.

EA bought Ultima Online from Origin because they couldn't be bothered to produce their own MMORPG, and you can also see how well that worked for them by looking at subscriber trends.

Gah I said I wasn't going to get specific and I ended up ranting about EA anyway. To sum it up, the gaming industry needs new ideas and EA should be leading the pack to put them into use.
 
Da Bestest Juju
(16 items)
 
Hulk Smash
(12 items)
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7 4710HQ NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M 16GB DDR3L Samsung 850 EVO 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
HGST Travelstar 7K100 Windows 10 BenQ XL2720T Microsoft Sidewinder X4 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Gigabyte M8000X Steelseries Logitech x-540 MTX iX1 Headphones 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-4690k Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK Zotac GTX 970 Corsair Dominator  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Crucial M550 M.2 SSD Corsair Force 3 SSD Seagate Barracuda Samsung Blu-Ray 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H60 Windows 10 Home ASUS VN247H-P Logitech K310 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Rosewill Photon 750 BitFenix BFC-NEO-100-WWWKP-RP iHome Logitech S220 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k AsRock Extreme3 Gen3 EVGA GTX 470 G.Skill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSKeyboard
Western Digital Black 640 DVD Windows 7 Ultimate x64 CM Storm Devastator - LED Gaming Keyboard & Mou... 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Cooler Master RS-600 Cooler Master 690 II Advanced CM Storm Devastator - LED Gaming Keyboard & Mou... Logitech z-213 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Da Bestest Juju
(16 items)
 
Hulk Smash
(12 items)
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7 4710HQ NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M 16GB DDR3L Samsung 850 EVO 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
HGST Travelstar 7K100 Windows 10 BenQ XL2720T Microsoft Sidewinder X4 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Gigabyte M8000X Steelseries Logitech x-540 MTX iX1 Headphones 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-4690k Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK Zotac GTX 970 Corsair Dominator  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Crucial M550 M.2 SSD Corsair Force 3 SSD Seagate Barracuda Samsung Blu-Ray 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H60 Windows 10 Home ASUS VN247H-P Logitech K310 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Rosewill Photon 750 BitFenix BFC-NEO-100-WWWKP-RP iHome Logitech S220 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k AsRock Extreme3 Gen3 EVGA GTX 470 G.Skill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSKeyboard
Western Digital Black 640 DVD Windows 7 Ultimate x64 CM Storm Devastator - LED Gaming Keyboard & Mou... 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Cooler Master RS-600 Cooler Master 690 II Advanced CM Storm Devastator - LED Gaming Keyboard & Mou... Logitech z-213 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Game News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › Upcoming games are "boring to death" said EA CEO