Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Specialized Cooling › Peltiers / TEC › TEC on 3600+ with Big Typhoon
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

TEC on 3600+ with Big Typhoon

post #1 of 24
Thread Starter 
right now I have a lapped 3600+ with a lapped Big Typhoon. with ambient air at 22C (73F) my temps soar up to about 51C on Orthos. my current clock is 2.93Ghz turned back down from 3.0 due to a loud fan. I dont want to spend a bunch of money on water cooling or a new $150 heat sink so I though, "hey why not try a Pelter?" perhaps ill be able to get my CPU up to 3.1

I see the theory but i have never used one so im here...

My power supply has dual 12v rails and only one is being used so ill be using the other for the TEC. the power supply is a Roswill RT550-135-BK that has the 2nd rail rated at 18amps

what are my options? how many watts would you say is safe for my heat sink? i figure with 18A ill prob not want to go more then 200w but do i even need that much?
dBag
(9 items)
 
yep...
(10 items)
 
air
(8 items)
 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
xeon e3-1230v2 supermicro mbd x9scm-0 KVR1333D3E9S/4G OCZ vertex3 60GB 
CoolingOSPowerCase
1u 80mm blower + passive cpu  proxmox 3.1 supermicro 300w 1u supermicro 1u 
Other
2x intel pro1000 nics  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
A8-3870K @ 3.7GHz GIGABYTE A75M-UD2H Power Cooler 7870 Team Group Inc 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
3x OCZ Agility 3 60GB (RAID-0 on Rocket RAID 27... Corsair H-80 core win-7 Seagate 750 Gold 
CaseAudio
some lian-li case... M-Audio AV40s + 10" Sony ___? 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
D525 @ 1.8GHz Supermicro onboard 2x2GB DDR1333 
Hard DriveOSCaseOther
WD Green ubuntu 12 1u  3x40mm fans  
  hide details  
Reply
dBag
(9 items)
 
yep...
(10 items)
 
air
(8 items)
 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
xeon e3-1230v2 supermicro mbd x9scm-0 KVR1333D3E9S/4G OCZ vertex3 60GB 
CoolingOSPowerCase
1u 80mm blower + passive cpu  proxmox 3.1 supermicro 300w 1u supermicro 1u 
Other
2x intel pro1000 nics  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
A8-3870K @ 3.7GHz GIGABYTE A75M-UD2H Power Cooler 7870 Team Group Inc 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
3x OCZ Agility 3 60GB (RAID-0 on Rocket RAID 27... Corsair H-80 core win-7 Seagate 750 Gold 
CaseAudio
some lian-li case... M-Audio AV40s + 10" Sony ___? 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
D525 @ 1.8GHz Supermicro onboard 2x2GB DDR1333 
Hard DriveOSCaseOther
WD Green ubuntu 12 1u  3x40mm fans  
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by hks85 View Post
right now I have a lapped 3600+ with a lapped Big Typhoon. with ambient air at 22C (73F) my temps soar up to about 51C on Orthos. my current clock is 2.93Ghz turned back down from 3.0 due to a loud fan. I dont want to spend a bunch of money on water cooling or a new $150 heat sink so I though, "hey why not try a Pelter?" perhaps ill be able to get my CPU up to 3.1

I see the theory but i have never used one so im here...

My power supply has dual 12v rails and only one is being used so ill be using the other for the TEC. the power supply is a Roswill RT550-135-BK that has the 2nd rail rated at 18amps

what are my options? how many watts would you say is safe for my heat sink? i figure with 18A ill prob not want to go more then 200w but do i even need that much?
Just a Note:

The Tec is going to dump a lot of heat into your case, thus heating other components... Thats why most people use watercooling with TEC's so they can bring the heat out side of there case and disperse the heat in the radiator...
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9550 EVGA 790i Ultra Sli 775 Visiontek 4870x2 OCZ Fatal1ty Edition DDR3 8GB (2 x 2GB)x2 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Raptor X 150GB;2x WD 200GB;WD 250GB;WD 36GB Raptor Windows Vista™ Ultimate x64 Acer 24" LCD Logitech G15 Keyboard 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Enermax Galaxy 1000W Lian Li Cube Case (Modded Big Time) Logitech G5 Mouse Bf2142 Edition Desk 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9550 EVGA 790i Ultra Sli 775 Visiontek 4870x2 OCZ Fatal1ty Edition DDR3 8GB (2 x 2GB)x2 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Raptor X 150GB;2x WD 200GB;WD 250GB;WD 36GB Raptor Windows Vista™ Ultimate x64 Acer 24" LCD Logitech G15 Keyboard 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Enermax Galaxy 1000W Lian Li Cube Case (Modded Big Time) Logitech G5 Mouse Bf2142 Edition Desk 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 24
heatpipes can only handle a certain load. there are usually enough heatpipes to dissipate the heat from a CPU only, but with a TEC/pelt, that heat output would increase by almost 200%.
if i remember correctly, and 8mm heatpipe can handle 50W, and a 6mm can handle 35.
even a non-heatpipe sink would probably cool better.
you'd still need a huge one, but most non-heatpipe HSFs (for PCs) that might be huge enough, have a round base (blue orb...), which cant effectively cool a pelt.
Conclusion: WC is the only way to effectively cool a pelt. and i dont think $150 would cut it either.
ira-K has a pelt-setup with a 480 rad, which would cost about 100 bucks, 2 pums, together good for around 150 bucks probably and a stinger WB, which even looks expensive. i wouldnt be surprised if the entire cooling setup cost him 400 bucks.
post #4 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChielScape View Post
heatpipes can only handle a certain load. there are usually enough heatpipes to dissipate the heat from a CPU only, but with a TEC/pelt, that heat output would increase by almost 200%.
if i remember correctly, and 8mm heatpipe can handle 50W, and a 6mm can handle 35.
even a non-heatpipe sink would probably cool better.
you'd still need a huge one, but most non-heatpipe HSFs (for PCs) that might be huge enough, have a round base (blue orb...), which cant effectively cool a pelt.
Conclusion: WC is the only way to effectively cool a pelt. and i dont think $150 would cut it either.
ira-K has a pelt-setup with a 480 rad, which would cost about 100 bucks, 2 pums, together good for around 150 bucks probably and a stinger WB, which even looks expensive. i wouldnt be surprised if the entire cooling setup cost him 400 bucks.
Where did you get those values on heatpipe performance? They don't sound correct because heatpipe performance are different depending on specs. You can change the performance parameters by increasing/decreasing amount of internal fluid or by using different fluids.

The issue is just that air coolers aren't up to the heat load. They can't dissipate heat fast enough. This will create a feedback loop which will just heat up the CPU. TECs are very temperature dependent. As they get hotter, the worse they perform. As they perform worse, more heat gets trapped.
Once again...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 [4.28GHz, HT] Asus P6T + Broadcom NetXtreme II VisionTek HD5850 [900/1200] + Galaxy GT240 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaw X [1632 MHz] 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel X25-M 160GB + 3xRAID0 500GB 7200.12 Window 7 Pro 64 Acer H243H + Samsung 226BW XARMOR-U9BL  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Truepower New 750W Li Lian PC-V2100 [10x120mm fans] Logitech G9 X-Trac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
Once again...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 [4.28GHz, HT] Asus P6T + Broadcom NetXtreme II VisionTek HD5850 [900/1200] + Galaxy GT240 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaw X [1632 MHz] 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel X25-M 160GB + 3xRAID0 500GB 7200.12 Window 7 Pro 64 Acer H243H + Samsung 226BW XARMOR-U9BL  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Truepower New 750W Li Lian PC-V2100 [10x120mm fans] Logitech G9 X-Trac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 24
ive once looked around to buy some heatpipes. some vague german site, if i remember correctly had them. said the 6mm's could handle 35W and the 8mm's 50. surely it depends on the fluid used, and the amount of it, but...
post #6 of 24
Let's just say that if you're getting 51c on a low-wattage CPU overclocked to 3GHz (though I don't know about your vcore!) with a BT, something is really wrong. I get 36c with mine LOADED on 137w.
#well
(19 items)
 
Lenovo L530
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 4770k Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H XFX Radeon HD 6950 Corsair CMX8GX3M2A2000C9 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung EVO 840 Hitachi HDS722020ALA330 Generic DVD±RW Burner Noctua NH-D14 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 8.1 Dell U2711 LG W2453 Ducky DK9008 Overclock.net Edition, Cherry MX B... 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair TX850 Antec Three Hundred Corsair Raptor M40 QPAD HeatoN M 
AudioAudioAudio
E-MU Tracker|pre Beyerdynamic DT-770 250 Ohm AntLion ModMIc 
CPUGraphicsRAMRAM
Intel Ivy Bridge 3210M Intel HD 4000 Graphics Soldered Corsair Vengeance  
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
500GB DVD-+RW Windows 7 Professional 1600x900 
  hide details  
Reply
#well
(19 items)
 
Lenovo L530
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 4770k Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H XFX Radeon HD 6950 Corsair CMX8GX3M2A2000C9 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung EVO 840 Hitachi HDS722020ALA330 Generic DVD±RW Burner Noctua NH-D14 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 8.1 Dell U2711 LG W2453 Ducky DK9008 Overclock.net Edition, Cherry MX B... 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair TX850 Antec Three Hundred Corsair Raptor M40 QPAD HeatoN M 
AudioAudioAudio
E-MU Tracker|pre Beyerdynamic DT-770 250 Ohm AntLion ModMIc 
CPUGraphicsRAMRAM
Intel Ivy Bridge 3210M Intel HD 4000 Graphics Soldered Corsair Vengeance  
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
500GB DVD-+RW Windows 7 Professional 1600x900 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 24
couldnt find the same site again, sadly enough.
from another manufacturer, these heatpipes handle 79W at 8mm. (at 150mm length)
http://www.cofan-usa.com/heatpipe_capabilities.php
post #8 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonX View Post
Let's just say that if you're getting 51c on a low-wattage CPU overclocked to 3GHz (though I don't know about your vcore!) with a BT, something is really wrong. I get 36c with mine LOADED on 137w.
keep in mind the Brisbane is a dual core.
dBag
(9 items)
 
yep...
(10 items)
 
air
(8 items)
 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
xeon e3-1230v2 supermicro mbd x9scm-0 KVR1333D3E9S/4G OCZ vertex3 60GB 
CoolingOSPowerCase
1u 80mm blower + passive cpu  proxmox 3.1 supermicro 300w 1u supermicro 1u 
Other
2x intel pro1000 nics  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
A8-3870K @ 3.7GHz GIGABYTE A75M-UD2H Power Cooler 7870 Team Group Inc 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
3x OCZ Agility 3 60GB (RAID-0 on Rocket RAID 27... Corsair H-80 core win-7 Seagate 750 Gold 
CaseAudio
some lian-li case... M-Audio AV40s + 10" Sony ___? 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
D525 @ 1.8GHz Supermicro onboard 2x2GB DDR1333 
Hard DriveOSCaseOther
WD Green ubuntu 12 1u  3x40mm fans  
  hide details  
Reply
dBag
(9 items)
 
yep...
(10 items)
 
air
(8 items)
 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
xeon e3-1230v2 supermicro mbd x9scm-0 KVR1333D3E9S/4G OCZ vertex3 60GB 
CoolingOSPowerCase
1u 80mm blower + passive cpu  proxmox 3.1 supermicro 300w 1u supermicro 1u 
Other
2x intel pro1000 nics  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
A8-3870K @ 3.7GHz GIGABYTE A75M-UD2H Power Cooler 7870 Team Group Inc 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
3x OCZ Agility 3 60GB (RAID-0 on Rocket RAID 27... Corsair H-80 core win-7 Seagate 750 Gold 
CaseAudio
some lian-li case... M-Audio AV40s + 10" Sony ___? 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
D525 @ 1.8GHz Supermicro onboard 2x2GB DDR1333 
Hard DriveOSCaseOther
WD Green ubuntu 12 1u  3x40mm fans  
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePope View Post
Just a Note:

The Tec is going to dump a lot of heat into your case, thus heating other components... Thats why most people use watercooling with TEC's so they can bring the heat out side of there case and disperse the heat in the radiator...
yeah thats what i expected. I actually had an idea for building a custom case that should fix any prob associated with the heat dump.

so that aside how much power do you think a lapped Big Typhoon can handle? lets say i only do 80watts, is that going to be enough power to really do anything?
dBag
(9 items)
 
yep...
(10 items)
 
air
(8 items)
 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
xeon e3-1230v2 supermicro mbd x9scm-0 KVR1333D3E9S/4G OCZ vertex3 60GB 
CoolingOSPowerCase
1u 80mm blower + passive cpu  proxmox 3.1 supermicro 300w 1u supermicro 1u 
Other
2x intel pro1000 nics  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
A8-3870K @ 3.7GHz GIGABYTE A75M-UD2H Power Cooler 7870 Team Group Inc 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
3x OCZ Agility 3 60GB (RAID-0 on Rocket RAID 27... Corsair H-80 core win-7 Seagate 750 Gold 
CaseAudio
some lian-li case... M-Audio AV40s + 10" Sony ___? 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
D525 @ 1.8GHz Supermicro onboard 2x2GB DDR1333 
Hard DriveOSCaseOther
WD Green ubuntu 12 1u  3x40mm fans  
  hide details  
Reply
dBag
(9 items)
 
yep...
(10 items)
 
air
(8 items)
 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
xeon e3-1230v2 supermicro mbd x9scm-0 KVR1333D3E9S/4G OCZ vertex3 60GB 
CoolingOSPowerCase
1u 80mm blower + passive cpu  proxmox 3.1 supermicro 300w 1u supermicro 1u 
Other
2x intel pro1000 nics  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
A8-3870K @ 3.7GHz GIGABYTE A75M-UD2H Power Cooler 7870 Team Group Inc 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
3x OCZ Agility 3 60GB (RAID-0 on Rocket RAID 27... Corsair H-80 core win-7 Seagate 750 Gold 
CaseAudio
some lian-li case... M-Audio AV40s + 10" Sony ___? 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
D525 @ 1.8GHz Supermicro onboard 2x2GB DDR1333 
Hard DriveOSCaseOther
WD Green ubuntu 12 1u  3x40mm fans  
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by hks85 View Post
yeah thats what i expected. I actually had an idea for building a custom case that should fix any prob associated with the heat dump.

so that aside how much power do you think a lapped Big Typhoon can handle? lets say i only do 80watts, is that going to be enough power to really do anything?
Using a TEC that uses 80w... you can move only like 60w of heat. Any heat that it can't move gets trapped. The trapped heat decreases TEC performance causing temps to rise more. Repeat. Use that on your processor and it should hit 100C+ in a few seconds. If your processor shuts down in time, you might be fine. Basically, don't do it.
Once again...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 [4.28GHz, HT] Asus P6T + Broadcom NetXtreme II VisionTek HD5850 [900/1200] + Galaxy GT240 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaw X [1632 MHz] 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel X25-M 160GB + 3xRAID0 500GB 7200.12 Window 7 Pro 64 Acer H243H + Samsung 226BW XARMOR-U9BL  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Truepower New 750W Li Lian PC-V2100 [10x120mm fans] Logitech G9 X-Trac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
Once again...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 [4.28GHz, HT] Asus P6T + Broadcom NetXtreme II VisionTek HD5850 [900/1200] + Galaxy GT240 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaw X [1632 MHz] 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel X25-M 160GB + 3xRAID0 500GB 7200.12 Window 7 Pro 64 Acer H243H + Samsung 226BW XARMOR-U9BL  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Truepower New 750W Li Lian PC-V2100 [10x120mm fans] Logitech G9 X-Trac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Peltiers / TEC
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Specialized Cooling › Peltiers / TEC › TEC on 3600+ with Big Typhoon