New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Massive problem

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 
Dont know if this is the right place to put this but I will.

Im from the Uk and have moved into a new house for uni. I am now in the process of getting broadband. However the previous owner had phone line with BT that was not cancelled so I did it for him. I also know that he has broadband on that line.

On wed I got a new phone line/number but when I come to ordering and broadband off someone. It says my telephone number already has broadband on it.

I phoned BT and they say they cannot remove the broadband from the line, and I hve to find the ISP of the previous owner and get the MAC code.

Anyone know is there is a way around this or even if there is software ( i know this iws unlikely) on how to get the MAC code somehow.

Thanks
Aurora
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel E8400 @ 4.0 BFG NForce 680i BFG Tech GeForce 275GTX OC2 2 x 4Gb DDR2 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
WD Caviar 500Gb, Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500Gb Win 7 Profesional x64 Dell 2407 OCZ GameXstream 600W 
Case
Thermaltake Armor LCS 
  hide details  
Reply
Aurora
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel E8400 @ 4.0 BFG NForce 680i BFG Tech GeForce 275GTX OC2 2 x 4Gb DDR2 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
WD Caviar 500Gb, Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500Gb Win 7 Profesional x64 Dell 2407 OCZ GameXstream 600W 
Case
Thermaltake Armor LCS 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 22
well if they mean the MAC address of your system. just go to start>run>cmd and type in "ipconfig /all" and look for what it says after "physical address"
Bravo
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X4 955 @ 3.6 Asus M479T 4870 1GB 8 GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
160 GB Win 7 Antec 750w Antec 300 
  hide details  
Reply
Bravo
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X4 955 @ 3.6 Asus M479T 4870 1GB 8 GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
160 GB Win 7 Antec 750w Antec 300 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanrc View Post
well if they mean the MAC address of your system. just go to start>run>cmd and type in "ipconfig /all" and look for what it says after "physical address"
No the MAC code to change ISPs
Aurora
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel E8400 @ 4.0 BFG NForce 680i BFG Tech GeForce 275GTX OC2 2 x 4Gb DDR2 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
WD Caviar 500Gb, Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500Gb Win 7 Profesional x64 Dell 2407 OCZ GameXstream 600W 
Case
Thermaltake Armor LCS 
  hide details  
Reply
Aurora
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel E8400 @ 4.0 BFG NForce 680i BFG Tech GeForce 275GTX OC2 2 x 4Gb DDR2 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
WD Caviar 500Gb, Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500Gb Win 7 Profesional x64 Dell 2407 OCZ GameXstream 600W 
Case
Thermaltake Armor LCS 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 22
ok, nevermind then.
Bravo
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X4 955 @ 3.6 Asus M479T 4870 1GB 8 GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
160 GB Win 7 Antec 750w Antec 300 
  hide details  
Reply
Bravo
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X4 955 @ 3.6 Asus M479T 4870 1GB 8 GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
160 GB Win 7 Antec 750w Antec 300 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave069 View Post
Dont know if this is the right place to put this but I will.

Im from the Uk and have moved into a new house for uni. I am now in the process of getting broadband. However the previous owner had phone line with BT that was not cancelled so I did it for him. I also know that he has broadband on that line.

On wed I got a new phone line/number but when I come to ordering and broadband off someone. It says my telephone number already has broadband on it.

I phoned BT and they say they cannot remove the broadband from the line, and I hve to find the ISP of the previous owner and get the MAC code.

Anyone know is there is a way around this or even if there is software ( i know this iws unlikely) on how to get the MAC code somehow.

Thanks
You cant do much except getting the old owner to call up their ISP and cancelling their account with the broadband. I am surprised that they let you cancel his phone line.

Anyways, you need the original tenant to do stuff for you. Otherwise you may even be kept billing for him.

There is no software to get the MAC code unless you hack into the isp's database( dont do it ) It is because the previous tenant has not cancelled their account or has cancelled it very recently that you cant get internet. You shouldnt need the MAC code if you are starting a new account.
The Only One
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 ASUS 4850 4GB Corsair 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1x320GB + 1x 750GB + 2x1TB 2 x DVD-RW drives Windows XP Pro SP3 ACER x243W 
KeyboardCaseMouseMouse Pad
Saitek Eclipse Somethign Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse 2.0 Something 
  hide details  
Reply
The Only One
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 ASUS 4850 4GB Corsair 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1x320GB + 1x 750GB + 2x1TB 2 x DVD-RW drives Windows XP Pro SP3 ACER x243W 
KeyboardCaseMouseMouse Pad
Saitek Eclipse Somethign Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse 2.0 Something 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave069 View Post
Dont know if this is the right place to put this but I will.

Im from the Uk and have moved into a new house for uni. I am now in the process of getting broadband. However the previous owner had phone line with BT that was not cancelled so I did it for him. I also know that he has broadband on that line.

On wed I got a new phone line/number but when I come to ordering and broadband off someone. It says my telephone number already has broadband on it.

I phoned BT and they say they cannot remove the broadband from the line, and I hve to find the ISP of the previous owner and get the MAC code.

Anyone know is there is a way around this or even if there is software ( i know this iws unlikely) on how to get the MAC code somehow.

Thanks
Due to your poor spelling and grammar and the knowledge I have from working for ISPs I'd say you're probably not giving us all the details. Theres no way they would've let you cancel someone elses account unless you knew the PIN Code or some other identifying credential...

I smell something fishy...I hate posts like this
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6400 2.13Ghz C2D OC'd @ 3.0Ghz MSI P6N SLi 650i Chipset eVGA GeForce 8800GTX 768MB GDDR3 2GB OCZ DDR2-800 PC2-6400 5-5-5-12 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
74GB 10,000RPM Raptor SATA LG DVD-ROM Windows XP SP2 22'' Samsung 2ms 3000:1 Widescreen 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Gaming Keyboard 650W Antec TruePower Trio Big Blue Razer Copperhead 2000DPI 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6400 2.13Ghz C2D OC'd @ 3.0Ghz MSI P6N SLi 650i Chipset eVGA GeForce 8800GTX 768MB GDDR3 2GB OCZ DDR2-800 PC2-6400 5-5-5-12 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
74GB 10,000RPM Raptor SATA LG DVD-ROM Windows XP SP2 22'' Samsung 2ms 3000:1 Widescreen 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Gaming Keyboard 650W Antec TruePower Trio Big Blue Razer Copperhead 2000DPI 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanky View Post
You cant do much except getting the old owner to call up their ISP and cancelling their account with the broadband. I am surprised that they let you cancel his phone line.

Anyways, you need the original tenant to do stuff for you. Otherwise you may even be kept billing for him.

There is no software to get the MAC code unless you hack into the isp's database( dont do it ) It is because the previous tenant has not cancelled their account or has cancelled it very recently that you cant get internet. You shouldnt need the MAC code if you are starting a new account.
The thing is BT said its the line going into the house is labelled as having broadband not the phone number so they can't do anything
Aurora
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel E8400 @ 4.0 BFG NForce 680i BFG Tech GeForce 275GTX OC2 2 x 4Gb DDR2 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
WD Caviar 500Gb, Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500Gb Win 7 Profesional x64 Dell 2407 OCZ GameXstream 600W 
Case
Thermaltake Armor LCS 
  hide details  
Reply
Aurora
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel E8400 @ 4.0 BFG NForce 680i BFG Tech GeForce 275GTX OC2 2 x 4Gb DDR2 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
WD Caviar 500Gb, Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500Gb Win 7 Profesional x64 Dell 2407 OCZ GameXstream 600W 
Case
Thermaltake Armor LCS 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave069 View Post
The thing is BT said its the line going into the house is labelled as having broadband not the phone number so they can't do anything
How did they let you cancel the other person's phone account ? Ask the PREVIOUS TENANT to CALL the ISP and CANCEL HIS ACCOUNT . BT cannot do anything about it , nothing to be sad about . Till the tenant does it, nothing can be done about this. He will probably be still getting billed and you wont have internet
The Only One
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 ASUS 4850 4GB Corsair 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1x320GB + 1x 750GB + 2x1TB 2 x DVD-RW drives Windows XP Pro SP3 ACER x243W 
KeyboardCaseMouseMouse Pad
Saitek Eclipse Somethign Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse 2.0 Something 
  hide details  
Reply
The Only One
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 ASUS 4850 4GB Corsair 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1x320GB + 1x 750GB + 2x1TB 2 x DVD-RW drives Windows XP Pro SP3 ACER x243W 
KeyboardCaseMouseMouse Pad
Saitek Eclipse Somethign Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse 2.0 Something 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave069 View Post
The thing is BT said its the line going into the house is labelled as having broadband not the phone number so they can't do anything
What does that have to do with a MAC Address? If the line is "Active" just have the original owner of the residence cancel it.

Whats the problem?
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6400 2.13Ghz C2D OC'd @ 3.0Ghz MSI P6N SLi 650i Chipset eVGA GeForce 8800GTX 768MB GDDR3 2GB OCZ DDR2-800 PC2-6400 5-5-5-12 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
74GB 10,000RPM Raptor SATA LG DVD-ROM Windows XP SP2 22'' Samsung 2ms 3000:1 Widescreen 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Gaming Keyboard 650W Antec TruePower Trio Big Blue Razer Copperhead 2000DPI 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6400 2.13Ghz C2D OC'd @ 3.0Ghz MSI P6N SLi 650i Chipset eVGA GeForce 8800GTX 768MB GDDR3 2GB OCZ DDR2-800 PC2-6400 5-5-5-12 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
74GB 10,000RPM Raptor SATA LG DVD-ROM Windows XP SP2 22'' Samsung 2ms 3000:1 Widescreen 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Gaming Keyboard 650W Antec TruePower Trio Big Blue Razer Copperhead 2000DPI 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nechen View Post
What does that have to do with a MAC Address? If the line is "Active" just have the original owner of the residence cancel it.

Whats the problem?
The MAC address in question here is the Migration Authorisation code, not the MAC address as in network address. Just a lil headsup . And yes, i agree with what you are saying after the question mark.
The Only One
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 ASUS 4850 4GB Corsair 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1x320GB + 1x 750GB + 2x1TB 2 x DVD-RW drives Windows XP Pro SP3 ACER x243W 
KeyboardCaseMouseMouse Pad
Saitek Eclipse Somethign Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse 2.0 Something 
  hide details  
Reply
The Only One
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 ASUS 4850 4GB Corsair 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1x320GB + 1x 750GB + 2x1TB 2 x DVD-RW drives Windows XP Pro SP3 ACER x243W 
KeyboardCaseMouseMouse Pad
Saitek Eclipse Somethign Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse 2.0 Something 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Networking & Security