Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › P5B Deluxe - Can't get Cd-DVD drive to read
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

P5B Deluxe - Can't get Cd-DVD drive to read - Page 2

post #11 of 37
Thread Starter 
ARRGHHHH...THIS STUPID POS!!! Why doesn't it just work like it's supposed to!?! Grrrr....
Building Now
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E4300 Asus P5B Deluxe Sapphire x850xt Corsair XMS2 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Seagate 200 GB + Backup Vista Home Premium 21" LCD Rosewill 500W 
Case
Custom 
  hide details  
Reply
Building Now
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E4300 Asus P5B Deluxe Sapphire x850xt Corsair XMS2 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Seagate 200 GB + Backup Vista Home Premium 21" LCD Rosewill 500W 
Case
Custom 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 37
You have the Jmicron set to 'IDE' and not RAID. Also, do you have the SATA controller set to 'enhanced' or 'compatible'?
post #13 of 37
if everything is connected right-- IDE cable in the right connection on mobo, and jumper on back of drive corresponding to slave/master configuration-- then im thinkin it has to be some setting in the BIOS.
dont really think you need to update the JMICRON controller or anything like that.
HP pazillion
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
opteron 165 @2.5Ghz (278x9) -- 1.375v asus a8n-e GIGABYTE HD3850 512MB 780/880 2 x 1GB OCZ Platinum DDR400 2.5-3-2-8 @228Mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2 80GB 7200.10's in RAID 0; 1 320GB 7200.10 memorex DVD+-DL Win7 x64 and Vista x64 samsung 906BW 19in. WS 
Power
coolerMaster 450W 
  hide details  
Reply
HP pazillion
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
opteron 165 @2.5Ghz (278x9) -- 1.375v asus a8n-e GIGABYTE HD3850 512MB 780/880 2 x 1GB OCZ Platinum DDR400 2.5-3-2-8 @228Mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2 80GB 7200.10's in RAID 0; 1 320GB 7200.10 memorex DVD+-DL Win7 x64 and Vista x64 samsung 906BW 19in. WS 
Power
coolerMaster 450W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 37
Thread Starter 
I'll check those things. I flashed the bios and it updated the JMIcron too. No difference.

I got a new copy of windows XP - full version , just in case it was the other cd's - no change.

However, it does boot a driver cd that I put in there for a hard drive. Why would it read a hard drive installation cd but won't let me boot an OS? Do I need to do something to the hard drive?

Also, FYI, 5 days ago I had this up, running, overclocked a little, and was surfing the net. It loaded XP up, and I was waiting a couple days until Vista got here. I just don't get it. Where the heck is little Mr. NTLDR?

It starts searching the CD, but never finds what it needs to boot I guess. Sometimes it will say can't fing "BOOTMGR", insert a bootable media and hit any key to continue.
Building Now
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E4300 Asus P5B Deluxe Sapphire x850xt Corsair XMS2 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Seagate 200 GB + Backup Vista Home Premium 21" LCD Rosewill 500W 
Case
Custom 
  hide details  
Reply
Building Now
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E4300 Asus P5B Deluxe Sapphire x850xt Corsair XMS2 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Seagate 200 GB + Backup Vista Home Premium 21" LCD Rosewill 500W 
Case
Custom 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by TailChaser View Post
I'll check those things. I flashed the bios and it updated the JMIcron too. No difference.

I got a new copy of windows XP - full version , just in case it was the other cd's - no change.

However, it does boot a driver cd that I put in there for a hard drive. Why would it read a hard drive installation cd but won't let me boot an OS? Do I need to do something to the hard drive?

Also, FYI, 5 days ago I had this up, running, overclocked a little, and was surfing the net. It loaded XP up, and I was waiting a couple days until Vista got here. I just don't get it. Where the heck is little Mr. NTLDR?

It starts searching the CD, but never finds what it needs to boot I guess. Sometimes it will say can't fing "BOOTMGR", insert a bootable media and hit any key to continue.
everytime i had the error of that file missing, i eitehr had it pointing to the wrong hdd or my windows was corrupt. as for booting off of the cd, do you have it set to boot in the bios? cd-dvd-floppy-hdd
post #16 of 37
Just curious, but does your cd boot when your hdd is unplugged?

How exactly did xp lock you out / i'm kinda leaning towards that ACPI setting.
Idk what it does exactly but whenever i disable it: winxp only boots halfway and corrupts the darn thing...

just my 2 cents

(EDIT TYPO)
Core 2 Here i Am
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel E2140 @ 3,0Ghz Gigabyte P35-DS3R Asus Geforce 7600GT @ 660Mhz 2Gigs CheapAss Buffalo 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSKeyboard
500GBx2 Seagate 7200.11 Raid0 Samsung DVD-RW Windows Vista x64 Ultimate M$ Wireless 
PowerCaseMouse
OCZ StealthXstream 600W Red/black Spider case (It's free :P) M$ Wireless 
  hide details  
Reply
Core 2 Here i Am
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel E2140 @ 3,0Ghz Gigabyte P35-DS3R Asus Geforce 7600GT @ 660Mhz 2Gigs CheapAss Buffalo 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSKeyboard
500GBx2 Seagate 7200.11 Raid0 Samsung DVD-RW Windows Vista x64 Ultimate M$ Wireless 
PowerCaseMouse
OCZ StealthXstream 600W Red/black Spider case (It's free :P) M$ Wireless 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by CL3P20 View Post
You have the Jmicron set to 'IDE' and not RAID. Also, do you have the SATA controller set to 'enhanced' or 'compatible'?
I set mine to "IDE" and "Compatible" and there are no problems, if I set it to anything else I get issues with corruption, locking up and failure to recognise hard and optical disk drives.

.

TailChaser: Try messing around with the Jmicron controller settings, as one combination should work for you while it's likely others will cause problems.

I actually turned the Jmicron controller off once and Windows asked me to reactivate because of "major hardware changes"... The Jmicron controller is the worst thing about this MB imo...

Oh, also, if you haven’t done so already, you might want to try updating to the latest non-beta BIOS, which is the 1101 BIOS currently. There is a beta out (1212) you could try, but I’d leave it alone if I were you .

...Just another thought, have you run any diagnostics on your RAM, or HDDs to determine there are no faults with them, as sometimes faults with these components can cause the type of problems you're describing .

Highly-Annoyed
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 @ 3.6GHz (400x9) Gigabyte EP45-DS3P HD4850 512MB 630/1000 4GB DDR2-800 OCZ Gold Rv.2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
700GB SATA300 Storage Sony: 1x DVDROM, 1x DVDRW XP Home SP3 17" LCD (Black/Silver) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Dell Quietkey Spacesaver Corsair TX 750W Antec SLK3700-BQE (Black) Logitech RX250 USB 
Mouse Pad
Black Generic 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 @ 3.6GHz (400x9) Gigabyte EP45-DS3P HD4850 512MB 630/1000 4GB DDR2-800 OCZ Gold Rv.2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
700GB SATA300 Storage Sony: 1x DVDROM, 1x DVDRW XP Home SP3 17" LCD (Black/Silver) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Dell Quietkey Spacesaver Corsair TX 750W Antec SLK3700-BQE (Black) Logitech RX250 USB 
Mouse Pad
Black Generic 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 37
Quote:
I set mine to "IDE" and "Compatible" and there are no problems, if I set it to anything else I get issues with corruption, locking up and failure to recognise hard and optical disk drives.
I use 'ide' and 'enhanced'...but he never answered my Q...so...
post #19 of 37
so let me get this straight, are you trying to reinstall windows? from the windows installation disk, right? ok, so when you put the CD in - and im assuming that the cd drive is first in the boot order in the bios- do you get the message- "press any key to boot from the CD"? or does it say NTLDR is missing before you get to that point?
also make sure that you dont have a floppy or usb or any kind of memory card in the computer -and make sure your cables from your drives are plugged in all the way.
oh, yea also are you using SATA? and what version of windows is the installation disk? SP1? SP2?

a LOT of questions sorry, but im tryin to get a better feel on what the problem might be.
HP pazillion
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
opteron 165 @2.5Ghz (278x9) -- 1.375v asus a8n-e GIGABYTE HD3850 512MB 780/880 2 x 1GB OCZ Platinum DDR400 2.5-3-2-8 @228Mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2 80GB 7200.10's in RAID 0; 1 320GB 7200.10 memorex DVD+-DL Win7 x64 and Vista x64 samsung 906BW 19in. WS 
Power
coolerMaster 450W 
  hide details  
Reply
HP pazillion
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
opteron 165 @2.5Ghz (278x9) -- 1.375v asus a8n-e GIGABYTE HD3850 512MB 780/880 2 x 1GB OCZ Platinum DDR400 2.5-3-2-8 @228Mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2 80GB 7200.10's in RAID 0; 1 320GB 7200.10 memorex DVD+-DL Win7 x64 and Vista x64 samsung 906BW 19in. WS 
Power
coolerMaster 450W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #20 of 37
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by superon View Post
so let me get this straight, are you trying to reinstall windows? from the windows installation disk, right? ok, so when you put the CD in - and im assuming that the cd drive is first in the boot order in the bios- do you get the message- "press any key to boot from the CD"? or does it say NTLDR is missing before you get to that point?
also make sure that you dont have a floppy or usb or any kind of memory card in the computer -and make sure your cables from your drives are plugged in all the way.
oh, yea also are you using SATA? and what version of windows is the installation disk? SP1? SP2?

a LOT of questions sorry, but im tryin to get a better feel on what the problem might be.

Correct, it never gives me the option to boot from CD. I just says NTLDR is missing. No floppy's or USB's. I have several versions of windows (SP 1A and 2), and Vista, which isn't supposed to even use the NTLDR. But then it gives me a BOOTMGR not found error.

I was trying to re-install windows, then I just reformatted the thing since it wasn't working and tried to load a new copy of windows onto a freshly formatted hard drive. I have 2 hard drives. 1 now is formatted, and the other has a copy of XP on it but it seems kinda buggy. I bought it as a "recertified" hard drive and it had some crap on it including XP.

Could there be a jumper or something I'm missing on the board maybe? It's just weird that it worked when I first put a copy of XP on it. Then windows locked that version down before I could install Vista and I haven't been able to get it to work right again. I'm not sure what could have changed. Seems like I've tried everything. Oh well, I'm getting a SATA DVD RW drive in on Tuesday, so I'm hoping that it will load everything up, hoping it's something with the JMicron controller that's screwing things up. I sure hope that's it.

Also, in the JMIcron setting in BIOS it's set to "IDE". I guess I could try some of the other settings. There's also a funny menu that I don't understand, with a bunch of letters/numbers like 2E-FGK or something, with about 5 different options. I don't know what that menu is for. Thanks all. Rep +'s when I get the time.
Building Now
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E4300 Asus P5B Deluxe Sapphire x850xt Corsair XMS2 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Seagate 200 GB + Backup Vista Home Premium 21" LCD Rosewill 500W 
Case
Custom 
  hide details  
Reply
Building Now
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E4300 Asus P5B Deluxe Sapphire x850xt Corsair XMS2 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Seagate 200 GB + Backup Vista Home Premium 21" LCD Rosewill 500W 
Case
Custom 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel Motherboards
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › P5B Deluxe - Can't get Cd-DVD drive to read