Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › Vista/Casual game build, advice please
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Vista/Casual game build, advice please

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 
As you can see in my signature, my rig is getting older by the day and it becomes a snail if I put Vista anywhere near it. I think it is time I decide on a new rig.

A few months ago I was going to shell out 1000s of £s on a new rig, well I went away and thought to myself about what I do on an everyday basis and what I am going to need.

What I do everyday on my PC seems to be music, surfing, email, instant messaging, downloads, watch videos, Garry's Mod and an MMO (Guild Wars or World of Warcraft now and again).

I do a lot of multitasking on my PC but I now seem to be gaming on my consoles then on my PC with the odd exclusive PC game like Garry's Mod going into use.

After all of this I don't think I am going to need an 8800GTX or Ultra, I think an 8600 or 8800GTS will be ok for me but I am behind the times with computer parts now, it has been more then a year since I last built one so I am hoping people on the OC forums can put some light on the parts I am going to need for what I do.

I live in the UK so if you want to list stores for the parts please, be my guest. I am going to need 2 new storage drives, after a good 4 years of moving from rig to rig these 2 200GB SATAs are now about full give or take a few MB and one has started to make a noise like a grinder.

Thanks a lot everyone, much appreciated.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
Motherboard
Unknown 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
Motherboard
Unknown 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 20
How much do you ideally want to spend? Also do you really want a DX10 GPU, the DX9 GPU's are much, much better value for you!
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 Quad Core (G0 Stepping) Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R ATI Radeon Powercolour 4870 1GB 4 x 1GB (4GB's) 800mhz 6400 Geil Ultra Low Latency 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 Windows Vista Home Premium Corsair 620WT SLI Certified Modular ATX Thermaltake Kandalf VA9000BWS (Black) 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech MX Revolution Slicksteel Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 Quad Core (G0 Stepping) Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R ATI Radeon Powercolour 4870 1GB 4 x 1GB (4GB's) 800mhz 6400 Geil Ultra Low Latency 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 Windows Vista Home Premium Corsair 620WT SLI Certified Modular ATX Thermaltake Kandalf VA9000BWS (Black) 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech MX Revolution Slicksteel Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 20
Thread Starter 
Would be better been a little future proof . Money? I am not sure as I don't know what to get. If I had to put a price on it I would say £600-£800 which is US$1200-US$1600.

Problem is I will need a whole new tower, this case is all smashed up from moving house.

Thanks.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
Motherboard
Unknown 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
Motherboard
Unknown 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 20
So, from what i understand, you need tower + the inside goodies ? do you need a keyboard, monitor etc. ?? and are you in a hurry to buy it ?
The Only One
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 ASUS 4850 4GB Corsair 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1x320GB + 1x 750GB + 2x1TB 2 x DVD-RW drives Windows XP Pro SP3 ACER x243W 
KeyboardCaseMouseMouse Pad
Saitek Eclipse Somethign Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse 2.0 Something 
  hide details  
Reply
The Only One
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 ASUS 4850 4GB Corsair 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1x320GB + 1x 750GB + 2x1TB 2 x DVD-RW drives Windows XP Pro SP3 ACER x243W 
KeyboardCaseMouseMouse Pad
Saitek Eclipse Somethign Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse 2.0 Something 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottC2105 View Post
As you can see in my signature, my rig is getting older by the day and it becomes a snail if I put Vista anywhere near it. I think it is time I decide on a new rig.

A few months ago I was going to shell out 1000s of £s on a new rig, well I went away and thought to myself about what I do on an everyday basis and what I am going to need.

What I do everyday on my PC seems to be music, surfing, email, instant messaging, downloads, watch videos, Garry's Mod and an MMO (Guild Wars or World of Warcraft now and again).

I do a lot of multitasking on my PC but I now seem to be gaming on my consoles then on my PC with the odd exclusive PC game like Garry's Mod going into use.

After all of this I don't think I am going to need an 8800GTX or Ultra, I think an 8600 or 8800GTS will be ok for me but I am behind the times with computer parts now, it has been more then a year since I last built one so I am hoping people on the OC forums can put some light on the parts I am going to need for what I do.

I live in the UK so if you want to list stores for the parts please, be my guest. I am going to need 2 new storage drives, after a good 4 years of moving from rig to rig these 2 200GB SATAs are now about full give or take a few MB and one has started to make a noise like a grinder.

Thanks a lot everyone, much appreciated.
Well, sounds like you could use a P35 motherboard (GA-P35-DS3R), possibly a Q6600 (price cut to $266 USD by Intel on July 22nd), a 8800GTS 320MB, and two 500GB Seagate (fast) harddrives. Grap yourself a ST56ZF powersupply (Silverstone) and you are all set.

The case you get it really up to you.
System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2500k ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen 3 AMD 7970 16GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel 520 256GB SATA DVD Burner Windows 7 64 bit Deal U2410 
KeyboardPowerMouse
Adesso Mechanical Silverstone OP650 Logitech G700 
  hide details  
Reply
System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2500k ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen 3 AMD 7970 16GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel 520 256GB SATA DVD Burner Windows 7 64 bit Deal U2410 
KeyboardPowerMouse
Adesso Mechanical Silverstone OP650 Logitech G700 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 20
Well what exact parts do you need? Do you need a keyboard, mouse, monitor etc. or do you just simply need a complete PC and no accessories to it.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 Quad Core (G0 Stepping) Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R ATI Radeon Powercolour 4870 1GB 4 x 1GB (4GB's) 800mhz 6400 Geil Ultra Low Latency 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 Windows Vista Home Premium Corsair 620WT SLI Certified Modular ATX Thermaltake Kandalf VA9000BWS (Black) 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech MX Revolution Slicksteel Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 Quad Core (G0 Stepping) Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R ATI Radeon Powercolour 4870 1GB 4 x 1GB (4GB's) 800mhz 6400 Geil Ultra Low Latency 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 Windows Vista Home Premium Corsair 620WT SLI Certified Modular ATX Thermaltake Kandalf VA9000BWS (Black) 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech MX Revolution Slicksteel Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 20
my advice dont get vista till it matures (service pack 1) not the best for gamming but some game do work fine while others wont at allas for dx 10 and 9 if you are thinking about going sli/crossfire in the future i would go with a midrange to high end dx10
post #8 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobdown View Post
my advice dont get vista till it matures (service pack 1) not the best for gamming but some game do work fine while others wont at allas for dx 10 and 9 if you are thinking about going sli/crossfire in the future i would go with a midrange to high end dx10
Have you ran Vista? If you had, you would know that it doesn't need a SP1. It runs just fine, games and all, in 64 bit.
System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2500k ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen 3 AMD 7970 16GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel 520 256GB SATA DVD Burner Windows 7 64 bit Deal U2410 
KeyboardPowerMouse
Adesso Mechanical Silverstone OP650 Logitech G700 
  hide details  
Reply
System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2500k ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen 3 AMD 7970 16GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel 520 256GB SATA DVD Burner Windows 7 64 bit Deal U2410 
KeyboardPowerMouse
Adesso Mechanical Silverstone OP650 Logitech G700 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldovi View Post
Have you ran Vista? If you had, you would know that it doesn't need a SP1. It runs just fine, games and all, in 64 bit.
yes i have ran vist no it dosent need sp1 i said to stay away from it till it matures ( sp1 which i meant when it come out for it) and some games work fine on it others dont
post #10 of 20
Thread Starter 
Hey, thanks for all the quick replies.

Well I have a Dell 2407 (24") monitor with a 1920x1200 resolution so that is fine. My speakers are top quality so I don't need them.

I would say I need the Tower consisting of everything except a soundcard and the windows harddrive (I can use my Seagate 7200.10 SATAII 320GB for that). I wouldn't mind a new keyboard, mouse and mousemat as these are getting on a bit with the use.

Thanks.

Edit: I have legal copies of Windows Vista and Windows XP so won't be needing those.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
Motherboard
Unknown 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
Motherboard
Unknown 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › Vista/Casual game build, advice please