Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › Price/performance: AMD 6000+ vs C2D
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Price/performance: AMD 6000+ vs C2D

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
About a week ago, I was going to buy an AMD 6000+. It's about time for a new rig, and when the prices dropped to $170, I almost pulled the trigger. But then I heard about the Intel price drop on July 22. So I decided to wait.

I've spent the last week reading about C2D's and how well they overclock. And they look pretty cheap with the price cuts:

E6550 = ~$163
E6750 = ~$183

But one thing I don't see mentioned is aftermarket heatsink/fan prices. One of the best seems to be the Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme (~$65) with a $20 fan. Granted, you can spend less on heatsink/fan combos, for instance $54 for this popular Zalman unit... but bottomline, if you're going to overclock, you're probably going to buy aftermarket CPU cooling.

So taking this into consideration, if you were to purchase a C2D with the intention to heavily overclock it, and wanted the complete combo to cost the same as the AMD 6000+ ($170), the only one that seems to fit the criteria is the E4300 ($120 at current prices). This one would allow you a budget of $50 for aftermarket cooling to overclock it to the same speed as the AMD 6000+.

Anyways... I guess my main question is this: How much would you have to overclock a low-end C2D to equal the performance of an AMD 6000+? I also wanted to get some general feedback as well. (BTW - First time poster!)
Current
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4790k Asrock Extreme 6 Sapphire 5870 8GB Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Crucial MX100 Samsung SH-182M DVD-RW Custom Loop Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer AL2223WD Logitech Antec Truepower 750W Phanteks Enthoo Primo 
Mouse
Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
Current
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4790k Asrock Extreme 6 Sapphire 5870 8GB Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Crucial MX100 Samsung SH-182M DVD-RW Custom Loop Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer AL2223WD Logitech Antec Truepower 750W Phanteks Enthoo Primo 
Mouse
Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydog71 View Post
About a week ago, I was going to buy an AMD 6000+. It's about time for a new rig, and when the prices dropped to $170, I almost pulled the trigger. But then I heard about the Intel price drop on July 22. So I decided to wait.

I've spent the last week reading about C2D's and how well they overclock. And they look pretty cheap with the price cuts:

E6550 = ~$163
E6750 = ~$183

But one thing I don't see mentioned is aftermarket heatsink/fan prices. One of the best seems to be the Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme (~$65) with a $20 fan. Granted, you can spend less on heatsink/fan combos, for instance $54 for this popular Zalman unit... but bottomline, if you're going to overclock, you're probably going to buy aftermarket CPU cooling.

So taking this into consideration, if you were to purchase a C2D with the intention to heavily overclock it, and wanted the complete combo to cost the same as the AMD 6000+ ($170), the only one that seems to fit the criteria is the E4300 ($120 at current prices). This one would allow you a budget of $50 for aftermarket cooling to overclock it to the same speed as the AMD 6000+.

Anyways... I guess my main question is this: How much would you have to overclock a low-end C2D to equal the performance of an AMD 6000+? I also wanted to get some general feedback as well. (BTW - First time poster!)
Depends on what C2D, the Allendale with 2mb cache or Conroe with 4MB cache. With a conroe a 2.2-2.3GHZ c2d will be on par with the 6000+.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 3600x2 ASUS M2A-MVP (Crossfire) 8800GT 512 701/2000 4GB Crucial RAM(Lanfest ED.) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x320gb Seagate RAID SONY DVD+RW XP/Vista westy 
PowerCase
SILVERSTONE SST-ST75ZF(750W) 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 3600x2 ASUS M2A-MVP (Crossfire) 8800GT 512 701/2000 4GB Crucial RAM(Lanfest ED.) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x320gb Seagate RAID SONY DVD+RW XP/Vista westy 
PowerCase
SILVERSTONE SST-ST75ZF(750W) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 18
If your not overclocking, the 6000+ is a helluva nice deal. Especially after the new price cuts coming up. The 6000+ is gonna be like $185.
The Beast
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 7700K @ 5.0 GHz Asus MAXIMUS VIII RANGER Zotac GTX 1070 AMP! Extreme G.Skill DDR4-3200 CL14 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Crucial MX300 275GB M.2-2280 Corsair H115i  Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold  
Case
CoolerMaster Masterbox 
  hide details  
Reply
The Beast
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 7700K @ 5.0 GHz Asus MAXIMUS VIII RANGER Zotac GTX 1070 AMP! Extreme G.Skill DDR4-3200 CL14 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Crucial MX300 275GB M.2-2280 Corsair H115i  Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold  
Case
CoolerMaster Masterbox 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeUbi View Post
If your not overclocking, the 6000+ is a helluva nice deal. Especially after the new price cuts coming up. The 6000+ is gonna be like $185.
agreed

the 6000 is decent at stock but is a terible Overclocker.

The C2d's will blow it away when overclocked
Oh The Glorrryyy
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 630 MSI THANG 2x4830 8gb Gskill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveMonitorPowerCase
2x250gb 1x100gb 1x20gb 1920x1080 23in  500watt Rosewill Open Air 
  hide details  
Reply
Oh The Glorrryyy
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 630 MSI THANG 2x4830 8gb Gskill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveMonitorPowerCase
2x250gb 1x100gb 1x20gb 1920x1080 23in  500watt Rosewill Open Air 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by iampoor View Post
agreed

the 6000 is decent at stock but is a terible Overclocker.

The C2d's will blow it away when overclocked
From what i've heard the new 6000+'s have been reaching 3.5Ghz+ when the voltage is raised a bit. Even when oc'ed the C2D will oc to further speeds and perform better.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 3600x2 ASUS M2A-MVP (Crossfire) 8800GT 512 701/2000 4GB Crucial RAM(Lanfest ED.) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x320gb Seagate RAID SONY DVD+RW XP/Vista westy 
PowerCase
SILVERSTONE SST-ST75ZF(750W) 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 3600x2 ASUS M2A-MVP (Crossfire) 8800GT 512 701/2000 4GB Crucial RAM(Lanfest ED.) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x320gb Seagate RAID SONY DVD+RW XP/Vista westy 
PowerCase
SILVERSTONE SST-ST75ZF(750W) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by highwhey View Post
From what i've heard the new 6000+'s have been reaching 3.5Ghz+ when the voltage is raised a bit. Even when oc'ed the C2D will oc to further speeds and perform better.
really where?

I've havn't seen that yet
Oh The Glorrryyy
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 630 MSI THANG 2x4830 8gb Gskill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveMonitorPowerCase
2x250gb 1x100gb 1x20gb 1920x1080 23in  500watt Rosewill Open Air 
  hide details  
Reply
Oh The Glorrryyy
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 630 MSI THANG 2x4830 8gb Gskill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveMonitorPowerCase
2x250gb 1x100gb 1x20gb 1920x1080 23in  500watt Rosewill Open Air 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by highwhey View Post
Depends on what C2D, the Allendale with 2mb cache or Conroe with 4MB cache. With a conroe a 2.2-2.3GHZ c2d will be on par with the 6000+.
So a stock E6550 (2.33 GHz) would be about the same as a stock AMD 6000+? If that's the case, looks like C2D wins even before overclocking... which makes the decision even easier.
Current
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4790k Asrock Extreme 6 Sapphire 5870 8GB Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Crucial MX100 Samsung SH-182M DVD-RW Custom Loop Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer AL2223WD Logitech Antec Truepower 750W Phanteks Enthoo Primo 
Mouse
Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
Current
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4790k Asrock Extreme 6 Sapphire 5870 8GB Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Crucial MX100 Samsung SH-182M DVD-RW Custom Loop Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer AL2223WD Logitech Antec Truepower 750W Phanteks Enthoo Primo 
Mouse
Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydog71 View Post
So a stock E6550 (2.33 GHz) would be about the same as a stock AMD 6000+? If that's the case, looks like C2D wins even before overclocking... which makes the decision even easier.
Pretty much, get the C2D if you plan on oc'ing.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 3600x2 ASUS M2A-MVP (Crossfire) 8800GT 512 701/2000 4GB Crucial RAM(Lanfest ED.) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x320gb Seagate RAID SONY DVD+RW XP/Vista westy 
PowerCase
SILVERSTONE SST-ST75ZF(750W) 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 3600x2 ASUS M2A-MVP (Crossfire) 8800GT 512 701/2000 4GB Crucial RAM(Lanfest ED.) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x320gb Seagate RAID SONY DVD+RW XP/Vista westy 
PowerCase
SILVERSTONE SST-ST75ZF(750W) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by iampoor View Post
really where?

I've havn't seen that yet
not sure, in some other thread a guy posted all these screenies of 6000+'s reaching 3.5ghz and above.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 3600x2 ASUS M2A-MVP (Crossfire) 8800GT 512 701/2000 4GB Crucial RAM(Lanfest ED.) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x320gb Seagate RAID SONY DVD+RW XP/Vista westy 
PowerCase
SILVERSTONE SST-ST75ZF(750W) 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 3600x2 ASUS M2A-MVP (Crossfire) 8800GT 512 701/2000 4GB Crucial RAM(Lanfest ED.) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x320gb Seagate RAID SONY DVD+RW XP/Vista westy 
PowerCase
SILVERSTONE SST-ST75ZF(750W) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 18
If you want to overclock and save money, get a athlon x2 3600+ brisbane.

I just ordered mine for 50 bucks+ shipping, to go with my $40 cooler, $90 for a 1ghz overclock = (sorry for the cliché punchline) priceless.

There are MANY options open to you if you want to overclock, of the processors you mention, if you can wait i'd probably go c2d though, unless your a cheap sob like me
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 960 4.1ghz HT on Gigabyte X58A-UD7 ASUS 6970 DCII (975/1498 1.2V) 4x4GB G.skill 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M500 480GB + 2tb WD Passport Samsung 20x DVD-RW Corsair H100i Win10 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell u2711 G15 (v2) corsair AX850 Fractal R5 
MouseMouse PadAudio
G5 dota custom asus xonar essence stx 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 960 4.1ghz HT on Gigabyte X58A-UD7 ASUS 6970 DCII (975/1498 1.2V) 4x4GB G.skill 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M500 480GB + 2tb WD Passport Samsung 20x DVD-RW Corsair H100i Win10 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell u2711 G15 (v2) corsair AX850 Fractal R5 
MouseMouse PadAudio
G5 dota custom asus xonar essence stx 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › Price/performance: AMD 6000+ vs C2D