Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD Motherboards › raising my mobo
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

raising my mobo

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
i woud like to lift my mobo (abit k8n) a little higher from the back panel so i can hide wires back there. anyone know where i can find spacers for this?
post #2 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacegoast View Post
i woud like to lift my mobo (abit k8n) a little higher from the back panel so i can hide wires back there. anyone know where i can find spacers for this?
It's not as easy as just raising your motherboard. Keep in mind that PC components have to adhere to the so-called ATX standards and its variants. What this means is that components have to be designed to fit certain dimensions to ensure compatibility for each other.

This is a perfect illustration of this standard at work. Imagine you are able to raise your motherboard off of the back panel; what happens to the I/O shield locations where your peripheral component connectors are? How about the PCI/PCI-E expansion slots in the case? None of these would line up, would they?

To answer your question more directly, I don't know if higher standoffs exist to raise the motherboard off of its tray. I think that if you want to have cables beneath the motherboard, you'd have to cut into the mobo tray (or find another way to route cables so that they run beneath the motherboard). If such higher standoffs exist, I'm ignorant of where to get these.

Hope this helps!
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X3 720 BE Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P Sapphire Radeon HD 3870 2 x 2GB Crucial Ballistix Tracers PC3 10600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Almost 8TB of storage AMD Stock Cooler Windows Home Server CoolerMaster SilentPro M 700W 
Case
Lian Li PC-V2000B (with thlnk3r mods) 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X3 720 BE Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P Sapphire Radeon HD 3870 2 x 2GB Crucial Ballistix Tracers PC3 10600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Almost 8TB of storage AMD Stock Cooler Windows Home Server CoolerMaster SilentPro M 700W 
Case
Lian Li PC-V2000B (with thlnk3r mods) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 11
^ agreed with above, but where your standoffs screw into and your side of your case are not the same, you could just hack that up enough to get some wires hidden . Just be wary of ruining the strength of your case.
Thuban
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban ASUS Crosshair IV Formula AM3 AMD 890FX GIGABYTE GV-R697OC-2GD Radeon HD 6970 Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveMonitorKeyboard
Western Digital Caviar Black WD7502AAEX 750GB 7200 SONY Black Blu-ray Burner SATA Acer G245HBbd Black 24" QUMAX Xarmor U9Plus Black Wired Mechanical 
PowerCaseMouse
COOLER MASTER Silent Pro Gold Series RSC00-80GAD3- Fractal Design Define XL Black ATX Full Tower R.A.T. 9 
  hide details  
Reply
Thuban
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban ASUS Crosshair IV Formula AM3 AMD 890FX GIGABYTE GV-R697OC-2GD Radeon HD 6970 Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveMonitorKeyboard
Western Digital Caviar Black WD7502AAEX 750GB 7200 SONY Black Blu-ray Burner SATA Acer G245HBbd Black 24" QUMAX Xarmor U9Plus Black Wired Mechanical 
PowerCaseMouse
COOLER MASTER Silent Pro Gold Series RSC00-80GAD3- Fractal Design Define XL Black ATX Full Tower R.A.T. 9 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtmstrjoe View Post
It's not as easy as just raising your motherboard. Keep in mind that PC components have to adhere to the so-called ATX standards and its variants. What this means is that components have to be designed to fit certain dimensions to ensure compatibility for each other.

This is a perfect illustration of this standard at work. Imagine you are able to raise your motherboard off of the back panel; what happens to the I/O shield locations where your peripheral component connectors are? How about the PCI/PCI-E expansion slots in the case? None of these would line up, would they?:



very true! i didnt even think about the i/o panel until after i posted. buti was hoping someone would know if there is some where i can get these. i was also thinking of cutting holes in the back plate, but i wanted to avoid that if possible...guess not. maybe i could raise one side , but not too much so as to bend the board out of place. or just raise it and remove the i/o panel completely. time for some experimenting ... no time for it though
post #5 of 11
Just a thought, maybe remove the backplate and have a bunch of standoffs screwed together to reach the other side of your case and screw them in there and saw off the points sticking out. Wouldn't hurt the strength I would think, just a little ghetto.
Thuban
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban ASUS Crosshair IV Formula AM3 AMD 890FX GIGABYTE GV-R697OC-2GD Radeon HD 6970 Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveMonitorKeyboard
Western Digital Caviar Black WD7502AAEX 750GB 7200 SONY Black Blu-ray Burner SATA Acer G245HBbd Black 24" QUMAX Xarmor U9Plus Black Wired Mechanical 
PowerCaseMouse
COOLER MASTER Silent Pro Gold Series RSC00-80GAD3- Fractal Design Define XL Black ATX Full Tower R.A.T. 9 
  hide details  
Reply
Thuban
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban ASUS Crosshair IV Formula AM3 AMD 890FX GIGABYTE GV-R697OC-2GD Radeon HD 6970 Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveMonitorKeyboard
Western Digital Caviar Black WD7502AAEX 750GB 7200 SONY Black Blu-ray Burner SATA Acer G245HBbd Black 24" QUMAX Xarmor U9Plus Black Wired Mechanical 
PowerCaseMouse
COOLER MASTER Silent Pro Gold Series RSC00-80GAD3- Fractal Design Define XL Black ATX Full Tower R.A.T. 9 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 11
Thread Starter 
ya i'll see what i can come up with back to the drawing board
post #7 of 11
If the goal is to just have cables running underneath the motherboard, would it be possible to just use electrical tape to hold the cables down?

I guess this all depends on the thickness and the flatness of the cables. I've got a couple of cables (fan wires and 4-pin ATX 12V) underneath my motherboard taped down with electrical tape, and for these it works.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X3 720 BE Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P Sapphire Radeon HD 3870 2 x 2GB Crucial Ballistix Tracers PC3 10600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Almost 8TB of storage AMD Stock Cooler Windows Home Server CoolerMaster SilentPro M 700W 
Case
Lian Li PC-V2000B (with thlnk3r mods) 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X3 720 BE Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P Sapphire Radeon HD 3870 2 x 2GB Crucial Ballistix Tracers PC3 10600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Almost 8TB of storage AMD Stock Cooler Windows Home Server CoolerMaster SilentPro M 700W 
Case
Lian Li PC-V2000B (with thlnk3r mods) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 11
It wont line up with your rear bracket if you raise. Can you remove your right side panel? If you can then run your cables that way. I'll find some pics and update in a bit.



from the back..



from the front..
post #9 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtmstrjoe View Post
If the goal is to just have cables running underneath the motherboard, would it be possible to just use electrical tape to hold the cables down?

I guess this all depends on the thickness and the flatness of the cables. I've got a couple of cables (fan wires and 4-pin ATX 12V) underneath my motherboard taped down with electrical tape, and for these it works.
i have most of the cables under the mobo taped down. my primary concern with this was with the 24pin atx power cable which is pretty thick on most psu's unless you have a flat one. i cant get that one under the mobo.

i think the standoffs in my case are about 1/4 inch so most cables can slide under the mobo pretty easy.
post #10 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmhnc View Post
It wont line up with your rear bracket if you raise. Can you remove your right side panel? If you can then run your cables that way. I'll find some pics and update in a bit.
i want to run my cable through the back but there are no holes to run the wires through. i will have to drill holes..... only there is no drill at my house
guess i have to go to my parents house and borrow some more stuff.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD Motherboards
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD Motherboards › raising my mobo