Overclock.net banner

Should I get a Q6600 Quad after price cuts, or wait until I need one?

• Get the Q6600 GO right after price cut.

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Wait until later: I don't need it now.

Votes: 24 72.7%

Go Quad Now or Later?

1K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  wire 
#1 ·
Okay, I just built my sig rig a couple of months ago.... but I've heard a lot of people around here saying they're going Quad (especially the Q6600 GO) when the price cuts happen.

My hardware is new so I may be a little reluctant to upgrade ATM. But the Q6600 GO for ~300 bux on July 22 seems like a great deal coming up soon. The $ won't be an issue if I decide to upgrade right now... but I'm still not sure.... I still think I have a pretty strong rig - but I like good deals and upgrading. I understand having a Core 2 Quad isn't exactly a necessity right now though.

My Question to you:
Should I upgrade to a Q6600 GO soon after the price cuts, or wait further into the future when I actually might need it?

#3 ·
It's a tough decision, if you want my take on it i wish i had kept my E6600 running along @ 3.6Ghz. As there is nothing really that takes advantage of 4 cores just yet.

#8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by iampoor
View Post

well no need for quad then.

I suppose it would be fine if you got it...then you wouldn't need to upgrade.

However it will be cheaper then so Dual core FTW.

The only game that (so i've been told) it works in is Supreme commander....

Right now, I'm pretty sure that's the only one (Supreme Commander). But Crysis (ZOMG pwnage of all games, j/k) will use 4 cores... and I'm thinking there will be quite a few to follow suit in the near future (kind of subjective though, I know).

Crysis Online:

Quote:

Crysis will dynamically utilize all processing threads available. Meaning quad-core processors will be supported.

I'm kind of one of those people who is paranoid my system might not be up to snuff... not really e-peen, but I just don't like being able to play the new games without max detail - because I'm all about the visual experience.

#9 ·
Supreme Commander has to use the Core Maximiser Tool, otherwise it uses 1 core pretty much max loaded and the other 3 are more or less idle.

#12 ·
  • Rep+
Reactions: Choggs396
#18 ·
i would wait, your rig is fine and save up for when the new stuff comes out.

#19 ·
Based on the lack of dual core support after all this time, I would say by the time you "need" quad core, 8 or 16 core processors will be out. Keep in mind that quads are out, but only a few dozen programs fully utilize even 2 cores, and maybe a handful support 4. Unless you feel like running 3 Photoshops and Supreme Commander at the same time, there's no need for Quad right now.

You'd probably get a better overall usage performance boost from getting a couple Raptors in RAID 0, or some 750 GB Caviars in RAID 0, and those won't become obsolete anywhere near as quickly as a CPU would. Or a sound card... Your money could be much better spent to get a more functional all around PC then a quad core.

• Rep+
Reactions: Choggs396
#20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Choggs396
View Post

.... I still think I have a pretty strong rig

Strength is also relative

The men at my work are stronger than us females
These men are weak compared to Mike Tyson
Mike Tyson is squat compared to Hercules

Strong is only as strong as what you compare it against.

Jokes aside it is a nice rig you have indeed!

#21 ·
cognoscenti, this may sadden you, but, um, Hercules isn't real

Dude you already have a sweet rig. Strength is relative to your budget, so you shouldn't spend so much more on your processor than your last one. If you keep spending $200 more on each successive processor, you're going to be, well, spending a lot of money. I spent $153 on my X2 3800+ last August, and now it's worth $66.50 (with the better versions being cheaper). If you're patient, you can spend the same amount of money as before and have a REAL upgrade. I can get a 5000+ Brisbane now with what I spent on this 3800+ Windsor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.