Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Specialized Cooling › Peltiers / TEC › TEC Chiller
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

TEC Chiller - Page 2

post #11 of 21
would seem quite simple to me...
get a GPU WB, a pelt and a heatsink.
post #12 of 21
The guy who did this didn't have much luck with one...I had another one where a guy got half way decent results doing it but I lost the link...He had a lot of $$$ is his though...Condensation proofing is no big deal its easy...You would have the best luck just putting the Pelt on the CPU...


....TEC Water Chiller +0.5C
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8600 4545Mhz*9 w/1.29V DFI DK P45 XFX 8800 GS D9GKX & D9GMH 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
2x Seagate 160 Perp. RD-1 2x Asus Vista Premium Corsair HX 620 
Case
Open Bench 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8600 4545Mhz*9 w/1.29V DFI DK P45 XFX 8800 GS D9GKX & D9GMH 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
2x Seagate 160 Perp. RD-1 2x Asus Vista Premium Corsair HX 620 
Case
Open Bench 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 21
Thread Starter 
Thanks Highly-annoyed and everyone!

Yeah Ira-K that guy is messed up. It drops .5C in a single pass, but after multiple passes the entire system temp is going to drop at least 5C.
post #14 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeswm8 View Post
Thanks Highly-annoyed and everyone!

Yeah Ira-K that guy is messed up. It drops .5C in a single pass, but after multiple passes the entire system temp is going to drop at least 5C.


Yeah possibly...I've been thinking about making a Pelt chiller but my idea is to make a slush box type chiller..Using a single heater-core with my loop water running through it, that should make for better cooling...I'm putting together a 437W Pelt rig right now after I get all that going I might give it a shot before I go the full blown AC chiller route....


I was thinking of using a small Igloo type cooler with it in line after my rad and before the CPU..I have several 158W Pelts already..I could mount them through the side of the cooler with cheap full size heat sinks on the inside with a better HSF on the out-side and the TEC in between them..Then just fill the cooler with anti-freeze and distiled...I would just use a single heater-core on the inside of the slush box cut into my loop....


Since the TEC will only be cooling the water instead of direct die cooling I might be able to get away with HSF's on the out-side if not I can make a little loop for them...


Probably wont be worth doing but I might try it since I already have the HSF's and Tec's a PSU to run them off of...It wont cost much to throw one together...3 of the 158W's running at 12V might give me a little better cooling they are 15V v-max....
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8600 4545Mhz*9 w/1.29V DFI DK P45 XFX 8800 GS D9GKX & D9GMH 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
2x Seagate 160 Perp. RD-1 2x Asus Vista Premium Corsair HX 620 
Case
Open Bench 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8600 4545Mhz*9 w/1.29V DFI DK P45 XFX 8800 GS D9GKX & D9GMH 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
2x Seagate 160 Perp. RD-1 2x Asus Vista Premium Corsair HX 620 
Case
Open Bench 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 21
I have a TEC block for sale! It is two Danger Den MAZE4CPU blocks and 110w TEC sandwich. It only provided 1-3C temp drop. I was running the TEC on 13v so it was moving only around 80-90w at most.
Once again...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 [4.28GHz, HT] Asus P6T + Broadcom NetXtreme II VisionTek HD5850 [900/1200] + Galaxy GT240 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaw X [1632 MHz] 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel X25-M 160GB + 3xRAID0 500GB 7200.12 Window 7 Pro 64 Acer H243H + Samsung 226BW XARMOR-U9BL  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Truepower New 750W Li Lian PC-V2100 [10x120mm fans] Logitech G9 X-Trac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
Once again...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 [4.28GHz, HT] Asus P6T + Broadcom NetXtreme II VisionTek HD5850 [900/1200] + Galaxy GT240 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaw X [1632 MHz] 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel X25-M 160GB + 3xRAID0 500GB 7200.12 Window 7 Pro 64 Acer H243H + Samsung 226BW XARMOR-U9BL  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Truepower New 750W Li Lian PC-V2100 [10x120mm fans] Logitech G9 X-Trac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post
I have a TEC block for sale! It is two Danger Den MAZE4CPU blocks and 110w TEC sandwich. It only provided 1-3C temp drop. I was running the TEC on 13v so it was moving only around 80-90w at most.
nice! so 3C drop moving half the watts i am planning, so ill get at least 5-7C. thats pretty good.

@ira-k, that sounds awesome! About using HSFs, youll need to cool the power drawn from the TEC as well as the watts moved, so around 220 watts... Thats a highly OCed quad and if you want half decent temps youll need a really beefy HSF. My thoughts were a very simple DB-1, MCR120 loop.
post #17 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ira-k View Post
The guy who did this didn't have much luck with one...I had another one where a guy got half way decent results doing it but I lost the link...He had a lot of $$$ is his though...Condensation proofing is no big deal its easy...You would have the best luck just putting the Pelt on the CPU...


....TEC Water Chiller +0.5C
I'm not good with watercooling at all, but wouldn't this be the best approach...

Get a CPU block or GPU block, stick it in your line somewhere, and then stick your TEC on said block. Since blocks are made to transfer heat, one would think they would work decent in transferring heat the other way.
post #18 of 21
Thread Starter 
Yes but cost must be considered. 2x decent cpu/gpu blocks can get pretty expensive. 2 are needed per TEC to get the hot side at a decent temp and to transfer the cold into the cold side loop. 30$ total can be made into 4 blocks, 4.5x2.25x.375" of pure copper plate milled into a maze with a drill press, 2 of those can handle 4 TECs in a sandwich.
post #19 of 21
meh. get a decent forged HSF and it should handle the heat. as long as its large enough anyway. i think this could do a fine job. ive played around wit a TEC a few times using the 775 stock cooler, which really isnt good for TECs due to its round base, but it could handle the TEC at 12v. its rated somewhere around 70-75W Qmax at 15.4v. so the one i linked to should do a good job of cooling a 226 @ 6v. especially if you tape a larger fan to it.
post #20 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChielScape View Post
meh. get a decent forged HSF and it should handle the heat. as long as its large enough anyway. i think this could do a fine job. ive played around wit a TEC a few times using the 775 stock cooler, which really isnt good for TECs due to its round base, but it could handle the TEC at 12v. its rated somewhere around 70-75W Qmax at 15.4v. so the one i linked to should do a good job of cooling a 226 @ 6v. especially if you tape a larger fan to it.
Its quite hard to envision two of those placed over the TECs as it would be quite awkward. They are very cheap though so they might be fun to play with. Each one would have to handle 138W though at a decent temp which is quite doable. They might be fun to try, thanks for the suggestion.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Peltiers / TEC
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Specialized Cooling › Peltiers / TEC › TEC Chiller