erm….just to prove that I actually have been doing some work on this project, and not laying about aimlessly I have a small update.
These are some of my favorite things…
Actually I am not all that fond of rivets, as they are semi-permanent. Nuts and bolts are more flexible.
I don’t think that I have posted a picture of the basic jig that I have been using in this particular thread, so here is an image. I use the angle to get a true 90 degrees, and the level as a straightedge and guide for cutting. The guide is held in place by large C-clamps.
These are the motherboard tray and PSU rails primed and ready for painting.
Painted with one coat:
I had two options for the handles that will be mounted on the cover. The first was black plastic, the second was SST. I opted for SST as the weight of the handles will give the cover some heft. It was an exchange of posts on Kopis Sundbeam mod thread that prompted me to use a “nesting” method for the cover. The details will be become self-evident later on. For the feet I went with some black plastic cupboard pulls that I found in my box of stuff.
Here are the handles:
and the feet:
And the entire hardware lineup:
There will be some minor attention to detail buffing on the inner edge on some of the holes that I drilled. The PSU and the mobo tray rails will bet a strip of felt for anti-vibration and protection.
The holes for the motherboard were the next task. I decided to place sets of holes on the 2 sides of the tray , and 2 holes in the middle-ish of the tray. The intention is to have some flexibility for wires and hoses that need to travel between the 2 chambers of the case. The holes on the edges could be used for water-cooling lines and/or fan wiring. I made the holes large enough so that ¾” OD tubing could readily fit as well as several fan wires. The top-right set can accommodate both water lines and the 4/6/8 ATX power lead. The larger hole on the right is for IDE cables, and its smaller counterpart to the left is for SATA and PCI-E (can accommodate SLI power cables). The larger holes are cut in such a manner that the closest edge to the front eclipses the perimeter of the mobo by about ½”. This allows plenty of space for the IDE header to pass through the hole, but be tucked under the board when all hardware is installed. Additionally the smaller sets of holes can act as “finger sockets” to lift the tray out of the case (like a 6-pack).
my outside work area (an old dinner table):
and the final result:
I ended up cutting the 1” holes a smidgen larger at 1-1/4” (just in case).
The next set of pictures shows the parts for the switches, and the completed set.
erm… unfortunately I lacked the foresight to test the switches prior to assembling them….
….one does not work
, so I will have to make another switch.
Now I am off to do some sanding. Tomorrow I flame the edges, and complete the final assembly. The case will then be ready for the final pictures and shipping!