Overclock.net › Forums › Video Games › PC Gaming › What is going to happen in the HL universe?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What is going to happen in the HL universe? - Page 3

post #21 of 39
Web sites speculating about future stories don't hold much interest for me. We can do that here, right? And our speculations are no more or less valid than anyone else's...we're all pulling things that we think might be cool out of thin air!

I don't think there's any "mystery" around the things you attribute to Gordon. He never speaks and you never see him for a good reason: that breaks the immersion that you are Gordon. It's simply a game design technique, there's no mystery story element behind it.
Vulcan's PC
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 6700K Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 EVGA GTX 970 G.Skill Ripjaws 4 DDR4-3000 16GB (4x4) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial M500 SSD Western Digital Caviar LG Blu-Ray burner Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro x64 Acer XB270HU Logitech G15 ThermalTake Smart 750W 
CaseMouse
Lian Li PC-6077 Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
Vulcan's PC
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 6700K Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 EVGA GTX 970 G.Skill Ripjaws 4 DDR4-3000 16GB (4x4) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial M500 SSD Western Digital Caviar LG Blu-Ray burner Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro x64 Acer XB270HU Logitech G15 ThermalTake Smart 750W 
CaseMouse
Lian Li PC-6077 Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #22 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellisforheroes View Post
the last 2 episodes are said to reveal answers to so many of the mysteries we have come across in HL2 and HL2:E1
I hope so!

Continuity?: How come G-man is quick to save us in the explosion at the end of HL2, but doesnt save us when we die in-game?

How do we know he is called G-man anyway?
The Logos
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500K Gigabyte 7950 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Kingston SSD Windows 7 Samsung S23 A700D 120Hz 3D monitor Coolermaster Trigger (Blacks) 
PowerCaseMouse
Seasonic M12 700w Antec P180 Coolermaster Storm Inferno 
  hide details  
Reply
The Logos
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500K Gigabyte 7950 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Kingston SSD Windows 7 Samsung S23 A700D 120Hz 3D monitor Coolermaster Trigger (Blacks) 
PowerCaseMouse
Seasonic M12 700w Antec P180 Coolermaster Storm Inferno 
  hide details  
Reply
post #23 of 39
Tbh, im just waiting for Portal, HL going nowhere, so meh
I.XXII.I
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 5960X 8 core Asus X99 Deluxe EVGA GeForce GTX Titan X Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
Samsung 830 SSD 128GB (OS/Apps) Samsung 830 SSD 512GB (Games) LG BH10LS30 Windows 8.1 Professional x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ XL2411T(Main) + Samsung T240 (Secondary) Corsair K70 RGB Mechanical Corsair AX1200 Cooler Master HAF X 
MouseAudioAudioOther
Razer Imperator Asus Xonar D2X 7.1 Sound Card Astro A40 2013 Ed. audio system Western Digital Elements 3TB (Storage) 
  hide details  
Reply
I.XXII.I
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 5960X 8 core Asus X99 Deluxe EVGA GeForce GTX Titan X Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
Samsung 830 SSD 128GB (OS/Apps) Samsung 830 SSD 512GB (Games) LG BH10LS30 Windows 8.1 Professional x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ XL2411T(Main) + Samsung T240 (Secondary) Corsair K70 RGB Mechanical Corsair AX1200 Cooler Master HAF X 
MouseAudioAudioOther
Razer Imperator Asus Xonar D2X 7.1 Sound Card Astro A40 2013 Ed. audio system Western Digital Elements 3TB (Storage) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #24 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedEarth View Post
Why would it get frustrating?

HL2 Didn't come out until YEARS after HL1

These episodes are a god send in the fact that we get to play more HL sooner

And the story line is quite immense i do agree. The episodes are an awesome idea in my opinion. Obviously there will be people that disagree
Exactly. I'd much rather wait a year for the next episode than 5 years for the next game. And because Source is so versitile they can keep updating it as technology expands, making it look prettier and play better.
post #25 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanDragon View Post
Web sites speculating about future stories don't hold much interest for me. We can do that here, right? And our speculations are no more or less valid than anyone else's...we're all pulling things that we think might be cool out of thin air!

I don't think there's any "mystery" around the things you attribute to Gordon. He never speaks and you never see him for a good reason: that breaks the immersion that you are Gordon. It's simply a game design technique, there's no mystery story element behind it.
how can you say there's no mystery behind it? you are woken up from what seems to be a revolving time portal in cyberspace by the character you knew well before the disaster a decade ago in HL1. With no explanation, you can only play on in order to find out whats happeneding to gordon.

To consider the fact that everybody thinks gordon was just missing for all that time and do not understand the real fact that G-Man pulls Gordon out of the slow-time warp for his assignment with no real explanation is not a mystery would be being blind to one of the HL saga's most puzzling mysteries.

"G-Man is thought to be an agent of an interstellar rebel alliance (assuming a human form), seeking to try to break down the ruthless Combine empire, an empire which I believe existed far before the events of HL1. This rebel force has incredible technology to be able to control teleportation in the way G-Man does. I don't think GMan and his rebel alliance really cares about humanity all that much, but rather, they see Earth as a viable battleground to fight the Combine on, or a strategic way to divert the Combine's attention. Perhaps he realizes that Gordon Freeman is the only one who can defeat the Combine empire, and keeps him on call for this sort of thing."

this comes from taking all of the evidence we have of half life sources and past games to come to this conclusion. The fact that we are never told or explained this (so far) in the half life story is one thing that makes me so eager to keep playing. not only to rid the half life world of the combine empire but to be enlightened as to what other forces and alliances throughout the universe have to do with gordon. To consider any of this to be a design technique is a little shortsighted. The half life story is one that can keep you confused and amazed each and every time you play it because of its rich storyline that expands beyond the game that you play, as you are only seeing such a small part of what has happened since you opened the portal at the beginning of HL1.

just look at all the news in the half life world you have missed between HL1 and HL2. Its far from your average storyline: http://members.shaw.ca/halflifestory...newspapers.jpg
Halcyon i7
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 930 Asus P6T Deluxe OC Palm Edition ATI 1GB XFX 5870 6GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2 x 1TB WD1002FAEX 2 x Sony Optiarc AD-7241S Lightscribe DVD-RW Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Dell 23" SP2309W, Daewoo 19", Samsung HDTV 32" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Corsair CMPSU-850HXUK Antec 900 Logitech G5 v2 
Mouse Pad
SteelSeries Surface QcK 
  hide details  
Reply
Halcyon i7
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 930 Asus P6T Deluxe OC Palm Edition ATI 1GB XFX 5870 6GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2 x 1TB WD1002FAEX 2 x Sony Optiarc AD-7241S Lightscribe DVD-RW Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Dell 23" SP2309W, Daewoo 19", Samsung HDTV 32" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Corsair CMPSU-850HXUK Antec 900 Logitech G5 v2 
Mouse Pad
SteelSeries Surface QcK 
  hide details  
Reply
post #26 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellisforheroes View Post
how can you say there's no mystery behind it?
Um, you said the fact that he never spoke and you never saw him was mysterious. I said it's not, and I'm right about that.

I never debated any of the other stuff you just posted, nor would I...I think you're right about all of that. But that's very different than where you started.
Vulcan's PC
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 6700K Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 EVGA GTX 970 G.Skill Ripjaws 4 DDR4-3000 16GB (4x4) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial M500 SSD Western Digital Caviar LG Blu-Ray burner Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro x64 Acer XB270HU Logitech G15 ThermalTake Smart 750W 
CaseMouse
Lian Li PC-6077 Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
Vulcan's PC
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 6700K Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 EVGA GTX 970 G.Skill Ripjaws 4 DDR4-3000 16GB (4x4) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial M500 SSD Western Digital Caviar LG Blu-Ray burner Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro x64 Acer XB270HU Logitech G15 ThermalTake Smart 750W 
CaseMouse
Lian Li PC-6077 Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #27 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanDragon View Post
Um, you said the fact that he never spoke and you never saw him was mysterious. I said it's not, and I'm right about that.

I never debated any of the other stuff you just posted, nor would I...I think you're right about all of that. But that's very different than where you started.
well you're obviously going to win an argument by saying 'I'm right about that'. Thats nailed me to the ground, that one..

The very fact that you hear, see, and know such little about gordon in HL2 and what happened to him after the black mesa incident can be nothing but mysterious. Valve have always said that such things as a half life movie would be impossible or indeed very hard because they choose not to give the player or viewer an outlook on gordon because part of the excitement of the story in HL2 is not knowing the full details of the situation you are in until revealed in later episodes.

Gordon's mysterious past and present in the way he is controlled by G-Man has always been the mystery that we are never explained to. If valve didnt want that mystery they would simply give him a voice and add some dialogue in cutscenes but they don't. I've tried to explain that there is alot of things going on behind gordon that neither the character you are involved with or the player themselves know about, and that valve plan to reveal in EP2 and 3.
Halcyon i7
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 930 Asus P6T Deluxe OC Palm Edition ATI 1GB XFX 5870 6GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2 x 1TB WD1002FAEX 2 x Sony Optiarc AD-7241S Lightscribe DVD-RW Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Dell 23" SP2309W, Daewoo 19", Samsung HDTV 32" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Corsair CMPSU-850HXUK Antec 900 Logitech G5 v2 
Mouse Pad
SteelSeries Surface QcK 
  hide details  
Reply
Halcyon i7
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 930 Asus P6T Deluxe OC Palm Edition ATI 1GB XFX 5870 6GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2 x 1TB WD1002FAEX 2 x Sony Optiarc AD-7241S Lightscribe DVD-RW Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Dell 23" SP2309W, Daewoo 19", Samsung HDTV 32" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Corsair CMPSU-850HXUK Antec 900 Logitech G5 v2 
Mouse Pad
SteelSeries Surface QcK 
  hide details  
Reply
post #28 of 39
Whats New in HL2:EP2 :

More advance file encryption, thats what Valve is known for
NoM3rcy
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6600 Asus P5B Deluxe Wifi 8800GTS 320 Transcand 2x1 GB DDR2-800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
320*2 40*1 Seagaate, 120*1 Samsung Sony DRU-710A & Sony AW-G170S(SATA) Windows XP Pro SP2+ & Windows Vista Ultimate Sony SDm 17" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Tarantula Corsair 620HX Antec P180 Razer:DA 
Mouse Pad
Razer 
  hide details  
Reply
NoM3rcy
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6600 Asus P5B Deluxe Wifi 8800GTS 320 Transcand 2x1 GB DDR2-800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
320*2 40*1 Seagaate, 120*1 Samsung Sony DRU-710A & Sony AW-G170S(SATA) Windows XP Pro SP2+ & Windows Vista Ultimate Sony SDm 17" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Tarantula Corsair 620HX Antec P180 Razer:DA 
Mouse Pad
Razer 
  hide details  
Reply
post #29 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Helix View Post

How do we know he is called G-man anyway?
it says G-Man in the games credits

and that is the name of the gmans model
Main Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Q6600 DFI LP DK X48-T2RSB Plus eVGA GTX 260 Core 216 4GB G. Skill F2-8000 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
750GB WD (OS) 1TB WD (Storage) Samsung 18x Sata Dvd Burner Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Dell 21.5 1920/1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 FSP 700W Epsilon Quad Sli NZXT Whisper Logitech MX518 
Mouse Pad
X-Trac Pads 
  hide details  
Reply
Main Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Q6600 DFI LP DK X48-T2RSB Plus eVGA GTX 260 Core 216 4GB G. Skill F2-8000 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
750GB WD (OS) 1TB WD (Storage) Samsung 18x Sata Dvd Burner Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Dell 21.5 1920/1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 FSP 700W Epsilon Quad Sli NZXT Whisper Logitech MX518 
Mouse Pad
X-Trac Pads 
  hide details  
Reply
post #30 of 39
The thing is love in HL2 is how the story of the game happens primarily in the background; how the story is advanced not by having a bunch of exposition - Alyx going "ZOMG, look Gordon! They're turning humans into those skeltal stalker things! Look, they're stealing all our water! They're poisoning our ecosystem so we can't survive without their support! Zoinks!"

The story is not advanced so much by dialogue as by you observing what's going on around you and making the obvious connections.

Valve actually grasps the idea you are smart enough to grasp the story without spoon-feeding the details to you. What are those flying gunships with insect-eyes, seems like they are a mix of organic and hardware? Hmm, they take humans and graft them to hardware as well? Is this walking battletank the enslaved remains of a once-sentient culture exploited and perverted by the combine?
The Me Too
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5 2500K Asus P8Z68-VPRO Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Gibabyte GTX 670 OC 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 Samsung 830 SSD  LG Corsair H50 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Vista Samsung SyncMaster p2770 ZBoard Merc (love this thing) Corsair 750W 
CaseMouse
Antec Monolith (old as eff) Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
The Me Too
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5 2500K Asus P8Z68-VPRO Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Gibabyte GTX 670 OC 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 Samsung 830 SSD  LG Corsair H50 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Vista Samsung SyncMaster p2770 ZBoard Merc (love this thing) Corsair 750W 
CaseMouse
Antec Monolith (old as eff) Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PC Gaming
Overclock.net › Forums › Video Games › PC Gaming › What is going to happen in the HL universe?