Overclock.net banner

Cooling if $$$ was no object, and coldbugs didn't exist

5K views 106 replies 35 participants last post by  MGX1016 
#1 ·
lol... I bet this has been though of before but just in case and for my amusement..

is it possible to pump liquid nitrogen like H20 would be... I know it wouldn't be easy, or hard, or very hard... it must be well above extremely hard also... but this would be something to think about, lol...

yet would there be a purpose? it can't get much cooler than the but stacks filled with anyway right...

just a thought, for fun

EDIT: just changed the name of the thread from "Liquid Nitrogen through water block?" to the current cause well, this thread sorta turned into that

See less See more
#3 ·
If you get strong enough tubing that withstand the cold and a pump,reservoir etc then I think it would work... It might be to cold for the CPU though! Might be worth trying on a Pentium 2 or something but not a quad or a very nice cpu!

#5 ·
ok.. so metal pipes instead... remember this is a daydream, there is no limits, think like NASA is designing it...

rofl...

actually now that I say that... NASA has a plane that they use as an observatory which needs to be kept cold to see further and they keep it within three degrees of absolute zero

#6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by USlatin
View Post

ok.. so metal pipes instead... remember this is a daydream, there is no limits, think like NASA is designing it...

rofl...

actually now that I say that... NASA has a plane that they use as an observatory which needs to be kept cold to see further and they keep it within three degrees of absolute zero

Well there's no way to pump it, and the condensation would kill everything like Mikey said.

#9 ·
There is no need to pump it. You pump water to a rad that blows ambient air through it. The ambient air is cooler than the CPU and the water is used as a way to transfer the heat. This is how watercooling works. LN2 is colder than ambient air. It is the actual cooling source, hence there is no need to pump it anywhere.

#11 ·
I understand that you don't really need to pump it, though it wouldn't hurt to have it at least swirling a bit, still not very useful, but that is a good point that if there were a good way to keep it in there and perhaps just some sort of reservoir, a bit keg of it, keeping the processor reservoir full... then you could simply fill 'er up with some good ol 200 octane liquid nitrogen... hope you have deep pockets...

whadayaguyssay?

#15 ·
I'm afraid it wouldn't work. LN2 cooling works by simply heating up something very cold (LN2). This then evaporates and carries the heat energy away from the CPU. In a closed loop like a water cooling system you would have no way to remove the energy from the LN2, in fact blowing air through the rad would warm the LN2 up! It would boil, inside the loop and explode. However, if you were cooling the rad with something like Liquid Helium (Colder than LN2), then you'd be on to something. Unfortunately the helium would need to be replenished constantly (and there is a world shortage), or activley cooled by a big arse phase cascade.

#18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by USlatin
View Post

lol... I bet this has been though of before but just in case and for my amusement..

is it possible to pump liquid nitrogen like H20 would be... I know it wouldn't be easy, or hard, or very hard... it must be well above extremely hard also... but this would be something to think about, lol...

yet would there be a purpose? it can't get much cooler than the but stacks filled with anyway right...

just a thought, for fun

That contains 541,763 gallons of liquid hydrogen and liquid oxygen. It must be pumped in there. So, yes, you can pump it. But remember, it wouldn't be a water block any more.

#19 ·
You couldn't, or want it in a closed loop. Like said before, the LN2 would boil and burst the tubing. Water would work better in a closed loop. However, if you were to have one end of the waterblock open for evap, it may work.

#20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mootsfox
View Post

You couldn't, or want it in a closed loop. Like said before, the LN2 would boil and burst the tubing. Water would work better in a closed loop. However, if you were to have one end of the waterblock open for evap, it may work.

There is a device that turns gaseous nitrogen into liquid nitrogen.

If you were running the liquid nitrogen through the loop from the waterblock to this device, then you have a sustained LN2 coolant loop.

It would be very $$.

#22 ·
or we could just dump the puter into that big arse tank and just have very long cables

but seriously what about just bringing the puter into orbit where it would be reeeealy cold and just have veeeeeeeeery long cables!

no, no, seriously... lol... what about... I mean it... at least like half way serious now,
, what could be the best possible cooling method no $$$ worries...

(changing the name of the thread to that)

#23 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkjediii View Post
if ln2 inside a copper cylinder was inserted halfway into a tank filled with mineral oil and the top left to evaporate, would condensation form in the outer part of the copper and mix with the mineral oil?
no, there is no air in contact with the submerged tanks, air has moisture in it, the mineral oil doesnt have air in it.

#24 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by USlatin View Post
or we could just dump the puter into that big arse tank and just have very long cables

but seriously what about just bringing the puter into orbit where it would be reeeealy cold and just have veeeeeeeeery long cables!

no, no, seriously... lol... what about... I mean it... at least like half way serious now,
, what could be the best possible cooling method no $$$ worries...

(changing the name of the thread to that)
Space does not conduct heat very well, as it is mostly void of matter. It would heat up in a heartbeat.

You are going to wind up coldbugging the CPU with anything colder than LN2.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.