Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Overclocking a QX6700 2.6 Quad
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Overclocking a QX6700 2.6 Quad

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
Whats Up! I'm very new to overclocking, and have been doing ALOT of reading and forum browsing to eduacate myself properly so I don't fry my board.

These are some of the threads that I found very helpful:

http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/...rclocking.html

http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/...ing-guide.html

I am building a software based call center and the more I can overclock, the more simultaneous VoIP calls the system can support.

I need help with my timings and settings as this is the first time I have attempted to OC.

Here are the system specs:
  • MSI P6N SLI Platinum LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX MOBO
  • Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6700 Kentsfield 2.66GHz LGA 775 Processor
  • G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual CH
  • EVGA 640-P2-N821-AR GeForce 8800GTS 640MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16

Here are the programs that I've downloaded to help monitor the OCing process:

SpeedFan 4.32
CPU-Z
Intel Thermal Analysis Tool (TAT)

So, I looked at the analysis of these programs just to get a baseline, and something worried me... I have a 2.6ghz chip. Why does my processor read as being a Pentium M, and why does it's maximum frequency register only at 1600?

The CPU frequency is also listed at 1.6 in CMOS.

Here are the Screen Shots from Speed Fan, CPU-Z, and Intel TAT:





Do these readings look like they should according to the chip that I have?


Assuming that everything is alright with the chip in its baseline state, let's get into overclocking...

I've heard about some guys OCing this chip up from 2.6 to 3.6ghz, but I'm only running the stock HSF. So, I only wish to OC to where I'm hitting 65C degrees.

So given the system that I have what are some CMOS settings that you would recommend to find a good stable overclocking speed for this setup??

Under the "Cell Menu" portion of the BIOS, here are the choices:

Current CPU Freq 1608 mhz
Current FSB Freq 1067 mhz
Current DRAM Freq 800 mhz


D.O.T Control (Choices = Disabled, Private (1%), Sergeant (3%), Captain (5%), Colonel (7%), General (10%).

Intel EIST (Choices = Disabled, Maximum, Minimum, Automatic)

System Clocked Mode(Choices = Auto, Linked - Allows Mem and FSB to overclock proportionately, or Manual - Enter FSB and Memory Clock Manually)

When "Linked" is selected, the FSB Clock (Mhz) is defaulted to 1066

The Adjust CPU Ratiois currently set at 6.

I also have the option of changing the Memory Timings: (tCL, tRCD, tRP... Command Per Clock)

CPU Voltage set at .00000V
MEM Voltage (Auto)
NB Voltage 1.25V
SB Voltage 1.5
FSBVTT Voltate (0%)

So... What exactly do I need to change to overclock the CPU with stability?

Is anyone farmiliar with this chip and RAM combo and some good settings and timings to put them at?

What do I increase before adding CPU Voltage? The D.O.T Control or the FSB Clock and the Memory Clock?


Then What? Do run a fifteen minute test in between interval adjustments?

I would really appreaciate it if someone that has experience my verson of CMOS and CPU could give me suggestions, or a dummy guide, on the settings that need to be changed to start testing stability at higher speeds.

Thanks,

Matt
post #2 of 8
Wait doesn't the QX6700 have a stock multiplier of 10x? So 10Multi x 266FSB = 2.66GHz = stock speed.

So why is your multiplier set to 6x? Either it's actually set that way for some reason, or this is just throttling, you can disable C1E and EIST and that will stop throttling.

If it isn't just throttling set the multiplier to 10 in the BIOS, which is stock.

The QX series has unlocked multiplier, so you can even raise the multi more.
But to overclock set the RAM : FSB to 1:1, and slowly up the FSB until it won't boot, then just add more vcore basically. See how high you can go like that while keeping a reasonable vcore.
You can play around the same way with the multiplier.

And a Qx6700 seems a little excessive for a calling machine. Is calling really that intense? And why does it need a video card?
Also what g.skill RAM is that? PK, HK, or HZ?
post #3 of 8
you actually combined the names of the two throttling things. disable C1E and EIST and your multiplier should stay locked in
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevg73 View Post
you actually combined the names of the two throttling things. disable C1E and EIST and your multiplier should stay locked in
Lol i can never remember those. But i think from what he said his multi is SET at 6 in the BIOS
post #5 of 8
Thread Starter 
Thanks.

Okay So my stock speed is alright, but my multiplier is off. So I will set that to 10x.

But why was it defaulting to 6X? What is Throttling?

How do I set the RAM:FSB to 1:1? I pretty much listed all of the options that were changable on my first post... so I don't see where to change the ratio to 1:1.

Up the FSB Clockspeed until Windows won't boot, but CMOS will? Or run a SuperPi to test stability?

When I find that point were it won't boot, do I keep it? Or change it back to the one increment before where it did boot?

And VCORE is equivalent to CPU Voltage? And what is a reasonable VCore? Where do I change the VCORE setting? As there is no option that says VCore

What about MemVoltage?

Calling is not really that intense, unless you are trying to run up to 16 concurrent instances of Skype and Manage 16 Simultateous VoIP calls... And I have the Video card in there cause the call center isn't open 24/7! We don't need 2 DVD burners either.

What would you say my limits are on this chip for Temp, and Voltage?

Do I need to make any adjustments to my Ram? Here are the Specs:

Brand G.SKILL
Model F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ
Type 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM
Tech Spec
Capacity 2GB (2 x 1GB)
Speed DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
Cas Latency 4
Timing 4-4-4-12
Voltage 2.0V - 2.1V
Heat Spreader Yes

Thanks alot for your guidance!
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker3655 View Post
Thanks.

Okay So my stock speed is alright, but my multiplier is off. So I will set that to 10x.

But why was it defaulting to 6X? What is Throttling?

How do I set the RAM:FSB to 1:1? I pretty much listed all of the options that were changable on my first post... so I don't see where to change the ratio to 1:1.

Up the FSB Clockspeed until Windows won't boot, but CMOS will? Or run a SuperPi to test stability?

When I find that point were it won't boot, do I keep it? Or change it back to the one increment before where it did boot?

And VCORE is equivalent to CPU Voltage? And what is a reasonable VCore? Where do I change the VCORE setting? As there is no option that says VCore

What about MemVoltage?

Calling is not really that intense, unless you are trying to run up to 16 concurrent instances of Skype and Manage 16 Simultateous VoIP calls... And I have the Video card in there cause the call center isn't open 24/7! We don't need 2 DVD burners either.

What would you say my limits are on this chip for Temp, and Voltage?

Do I need to make any adjustments to my Ram? Here are the Specs:

Brand G.SKILL
Model F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ
Type 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM
Tech Spec
Capacity 2GB (2 x 1GB)
Speed DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
Cas Latency 4
Timing 4-4-4-12
Voltage 2.0V - 2.1V
Heat Spreader Yes

Thanks alot for your guidance!
Not sure why it was defaulting to 6x. Possibly your motherboard misread the CPU or something and could use a BIOS update? Nothing to worry about really. But it normally is a good idea to update the BIOS.

Ratio is a way to think about it, not necessarily the way to set it. I just meant to set it 1:1 so your RAM will be stable and you can test your CPU. But it's fine as it is. Just leave the RAM set to 800MHz, since that is stock for your RAM that will be stable. Ratio means FSB/4 : RAM/2 btw.

Up the FSB until windows won't boot, then up vcore, then when you find a nice speed / vcore that boots to windows run orthos to test stability. Since this is a business computer your going to want it rock solid probably. I would say a whole day of stability testing since this is a business PC and you might not be near it all the time.

Vcore is CPU voltage. For a QX6700 I'm not too sure, but you won't want to go too high, as quads get extremely hot. Monitor it with TAT.

Use what ever memvoltage your RAM said to use.

I can't remember the exact temp limit for quads from intel, but you should stay under 65C or 60C load to be safe.
Voltage i can't tell you, i don't have a quad : [ But you will overheat your processor before you send to much voltage through it.

Ahh you have the infamous G.skill HZ. Those are overclocking Beasts, they go up to 1000MHz easily. For now leave it as it is and work on your CPU overclocking.
When that is done you can overclock the ram to around 1000MHz and or lower the timings.

http://sp2004.fre3.com/beta/beta2.htm
post #7 of 8
Thread Starter 
Alright, I'm back in CMOS. It says that it's version 2.61.

Is that Current?

Should I update? If so, then How? Through MSI? What is the process?

My multiplier is still on 6. Was I supposed to change that to 10, or just Disable Intel EIST?

Right now, the FSB Clock is on 1066 and the Memory Clock is at 800. Now, you just said that I want the 1:1 ratio between the two. Wouldn't that be 1200 FSB and 800 Memory?

So, When upping the FSB, how many increments of 1 should I move up before restarting and test the loading ability of the OS?

Should I start testing at 1200 or at 1067 since it's currently at 1066?

I probably seem like I'm asking stupid and obvious questions, but I thank you cause I'm learning alot.
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker3655 View Post
Alright, I'm back in CMOS. It says that it's version 2.61.

Is that Current?

Should I update? If so, then How? Through MSI? What is the process?

My multiplier is still on 6. Was I supposed to change that to 10, or just Disable Intel EIST?

Right now, the FSB Clock is on 1066 and the Memory Clock is at 800. Now, you just said that I want the 1:1 ratio between the two. Wouldn't that be 1200 FSB and 800 Memory?

So, When upping the FSB, how many increments of 1 should I move up before restarting and test the loading ability of the OS?

Should I start testing at 1200 or at 1067 since it's currently at 1066?

I probably seem like I'm asking stupid and obvious questions, but I thank you cause I'm learning alot.
I dunno i dunno and i dunno. Check their website.

Change it to 10 if you want to run at 2.66ghz. EIST can be disabled, but doesn't need to, it only throttles the CPU back by lowering the multi when the CPU isn't being used really. Saves a little power and reduces some heat.

I just meant to make sure your RAM is stable before overclocking the CPU, it's best to go 1 at a time. So leave it at 800mhz for now and you can OC it after your OC the CPU like i said in my last post.

Every time you up the FSB you go check if it loads into the OS... Unless you like staying in the BIOS lol. Going up by 5 FSB at a time is good to find your final OC, but you can go up in bigger increments at first..

You just gotta play with your FSB until you find the OC you want. Also you have that unlocked multiplier to play with, but i don't know much about the multiplier as i never messed with unlocked multipliers. But higher FSB > higher multiplier.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Overclocking a QX6700 2.6 Quad