Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Q6600 65-70ºC Idle 80-85ºC Loading eeek
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Q6600 65-70ºC Idle 80-85ºC Loading eeek - Page 3

post #21 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi View Post
have you run stability tests @ that Voltage? Especially if you're B3.

Also, more than likely, he hasn't gone to manually input his voltages to decrease temperatures.
My CPU was at 1.350v , since Skull ran his CPU at 1.2v... i set my down to 1.2v and it instantly lowered my CPU temperature to 58ºC idle and as I am typing this to verify the temperature it's now down to 54ºC.

Thanks everyone! Now that my temperature has lowered a bit, then perhaps now it's no longer a connection issue with the cpu and heatsink? What are the consequences of running Q6600 at 1.2v?
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 B3 @ stock EVGA 122-CK-NF68-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI 8800 GTS 640mb 4.0gb OCZ SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) 
Hard DrivePowerCase
250gb Seagate Barracuda 630w Lian Li 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 B3 @ stock EVGA 122-CK-NF68-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI 8800 GTS 640mb 4.0gb OCZ SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) 
Hard DrivePowerCase
250gb Seagate Barracuda 630w Lian Li 
  hide details  
Reply
post #22 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi View Post
have you run stability tests @ that Voltage? Especially if you're B3.

Also, more than likely, he hasn't gone to manually input his voltages to decrease temperatures.
im 100% stable, 2 orthos, yes in on B3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignius View Post
My CPU was at 1.350v , since Skull ran his CPU at 1.2v... i set my down to 1.2v and it instantly lowered my CPU temperature to 58ºC idle and as I am typing this to verify the temperature it's now down to 54ºC.

Thanks everyone! Now that my temperature has lowered a bit, then perhaps now it's no longer a connection issue with the cpu and heatsink? What are the consequences of running Q6600 at 1.2v?
54c idles is still high, do you have case fans? or try running it with the sidepanel off. you may still need to reapply paste. with the stock cooler at stock and 1.2v i had 43idle 55 load. which makes no sense when with my gemin 3ghz (433x7) 1.3v i get the exact same temps, actually a bit better
post #23 of 30
Thread Starter 
Thanks Skull, my temperature readings at the time were with the side-panel off and there is little to no change in any of the internal temperatures when the panel is placed back on. This suggests that there is no problem with the internal cooling or airflow with the case.

At this point everything points to my need of reapplying the thermal paste. I'll follow up and post results once I get that done today.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 B3 @ stock EVGA 122-CK-NF68-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI 8800 GTS 640mb 4.0gb OCZ SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) 
Hard DrivePowerCase
250gb Seagate Barracuda 630w Lian Li 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 B3 @ stock EVGA 122-CK-NF68-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI 8800 GTS 640mb 4.0gb OCZ SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) 
Hard DrivePowerCase
250gb Seagate Barracuda 630w Lian Li 
  hide details  
Reply
post #24 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignius View Post
Thanks Skull, my temperature readings at the time were with the side-panel off and there is little to no change in any of the internal temperatures when the panel is placed back on. This suggests that there is no problem with the internal cooling or airflow with the case.

At this point everything points to my need of reapplying the thermal paste. I'll follow up and post results once I get that done today.
ok, keep us posted
post #25 of 30
Thread Starter 
Alrighty!

Well unfortunately I got paranoid with doing the process again by myself... so I decided to take it into a compter shop to have a professional take a look at my job.

He pointed out that indeed my heatsink was mounted poorly and was loose. He also suggested to me to use another heatsink if I planned on overclocking -- which do. So I had him install a whole new heatsink for me. He installed a Zalman CNPS9500. I forgot to ask him to put in arctic silver, so I think he used the stock one that came with it.

Anyhow.. the voltage of the cpu is still set to 1.2v... are there any performance drawbacks for that voltage? It seems pretty stable to me atm so I wonder if I should up it to 1.325v like it was originally.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 B3 @ stock EVGA 122-CK-NF68-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI 8800 GTS 640mb 4.0gb OCZ SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) 
Hard DrivePowerCase
250gb Seagate Barracuda 630w Lian Li 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 B3 @ stock EVGA 122-CK-NF68-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI 8800 GTS 640mb 4.0gb OCZ SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) 
Hard DrivePowerCase
250gb Seagate Barracuda 630w Lian Li 
  hide details  
Reply
post #26 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignius View Post
Alrighty!

Well unfortunately I got paranoid with doing the process again by myself... so I decided to take it into a compter shop to have a professional take a look at my job.

He pointed out that indeed my heatsink was mounted poorly and was loose. He also suggested to me to use another heatsink if I planned on overclocking -- which do. So I had him install a whole new heatsink for me. He installed a Zalman CNPS9500. I forgot to ask him to put in arctic silver, so I think he used the stock one that came with it.

Anyhow.. the voltage of the cpu is still set to 1.2v... are there any performance drawbacks for that voltage? It seems pretty stable to me atm so I wonder if I should up it to 1.325v like it was originally.
1.2v should be fine until you start to overclock what are your temps now?


edit-btw i ment to ask, your powersupply, does it happen to have 3 80mm fans on it?
post #27 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignius View Post
Alrighty!

Well unfortunately I got paranoid with doing the process again by myself... so I decided to take it into a compter shop to have a professional take a look at my job.

He pointed out that indeed my heatsink was mounted poorly and was loose. He also suggested to me to use another heatsink if I planned on overclocking -- which do. So I had him install a whole new heatsink for me. He installed a Zalman CNPS9500. I forgot to ask him to put in arctic silver, so I think he used the stock one that came with it.

Anyhow.. the voltage of the cpu is still set to 1.2v... are there any performance drawbacks for that voltage? It seems pretty stable to me atm so I wonder if I should up it to 1.325v like it was originally.
What did u have to begin with? Stock heatsink?s How do you install a stock heatsink poorly lol?

And what are your temps now?
post #28 of 30
Nothing wrong with running @ 1.2v if you're 100 percent stable. Admittedly, I never bothered to run stock clocks so I'm not sure if I could've run me B3 @ 1.2v but if you can, then do it!
Final Cut Studio
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 (L724A841) @ 3.6Ghz Asus P5k-E BFG nVidia GeForce 7900GS Ballistix DDR2-1066 1gb x 4 (4Gb) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
3 x Seagate 250gb 7200.10 | Seagate 500gb EXT. Pioneer IDE DVD-DL Win xP | OS X 10.4.9 PC P&C 610W 
Case
COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 
  hide details  
Reply
Final Cut Studio
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 (L724A841) @ 3.6Ghz Asus P5k-E BFG nVidia GeForce 7900GS Ballistix DDR2-1066 1gb x 4 (4Gb) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
3 x Seagate 250gb 7200.10 | Seagate 500gb EXT. Pioneer IDE DVD-DL Win xP | OS X 10.4.9 PC P&C 610W 
Case
COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #29 of 30
Thread Starter 
Yah, I dind't get to see my stock heatsink temperatures. They were installed poorly because uhh, apparently i'm a crappy first computer builder!

My temperatures now read around 43ºC idle and ~51ºLoad... it went up to 58ºC was the highest i've seen. I even managed to do a 20 minute coarse tuning and overclocked up to 2.618ghz .. although I did get a bluescreen during the process.. but the computer restarted and continued doing the tuning. I suspect it may have something to do with cpu being set at 1.2v.


Once again.. I appreaciate everyone who have helped me figure out what was wrong!

Everything is dandy, except for some reason vista doesn't detect that my speakers are plugged in... but that's whole new can of worms I need to figure out elsewhere
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 B3 @ stock EVGA 122-CK-NF68-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI 8800 GTS 640mb 4.0gb OCZ SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) 
Hard DrivePowerCase
250gb Seagate Barracuda 630w Lian Li 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 B3 @ stock EVGA 122-CK-NF68-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI 8800 GTS 640mb 4.0gb OCZ SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) 
Hard DrivePowerCase
250gb Seagate Barracuda 630w Lian Li 
  hide details  
Reply
post #30 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignius View Post
Alrighty!

Well unfortunately I got paranoid with doing the process again by myself... so I decided to take it into a compter shop to have a professional take a look at my job.

He pointed out that indeed my heatsink was mounted poorly and was loose. He also suggested to me to use another heatsink if I planned on overclocking -- which do. So I had him install a whole new heatsink for me. He installed a Zalman CNPS9500. I forgot to ask him to put in arctic silver, so I think he used the stock one that came with it.

Anyhow.. the voltage of the cpu is still set to 1.2v... are there any performance drawbacks for that voltage? It seems pretty stable to me atm so I wonder if I should up it to 1.325v like it was originally.
Zalman will do you well. I have the 9700 on the Q6600, i used the thermal grease that came with the zalman too... no dramas to report.

Admittedly fairly cool here at the moment, but idle around 30 and 51 deg under load on all 4 cores.

If you're upping the voltage, just do it slowly in whatever increments your mobo will let you. Lower voltage the better, but then, a CPU is about as useful as tits on a bull if its not stable... try and find the balance, there's no secret formula... just get in there and have a go

Heck, im 3.15Ghz @ 1.28v, stock Vid is 1.31v...
Main rig
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 5930k Asus X99 Deluve Nvidia GTX 1080Ti  Corsair Dominator 3000Mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Intel 600p 1x420 rad, 1x480 rad, D5 Pump Windows 10 Pro x64 EVGA 1000w 
Case
Enthoo Primo 
  hide details  
Reply
Main rig
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 5930k Asus X99 Deluve Nvidia GTX 1080Ti  Corsair Dominator 3000Mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Intel 600p 1x420 rad, 1x480 rad, D5 Pump Windows 10 Pro x64 EVGA 1000w 
Case
Enthoo Primo 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Q6600 65-70ºC Idle 80-85ºC Loading eeek