Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+ Club!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+ Club! - Page 79

post #781 of 1595
get a Gigabyte GA-MA790X-DS4 ~ $130.

2 X PCIe x16 slots for SLI and is good value for money.
Good overclocking features.
Ti Special
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K @ 4.4Ghz Gigabyte Z68X-UD3 Gainward GTX 570 @ 750/1950 Kingston 4x2gb 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Corsair 120GB Force 2 + 1TB WD Caviar Blue Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Philips 241E Generic 750W 
CaseMouse
China Case Logitech MX-516 
  hide details  
Reply
Ti Special
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K @ 4.4Ghz Gigabyte Z68X-UD3 Gainward GTX 570 @ 750/1950 Kingston 4x2gb 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Corsair 120GB Force 2 + 1TB WD Caviar Blue Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Philips 241E Generic 750W 
CaseMouse
China Case Logitech MX-516 
  hide details  
Reply
post #782 of 1595
After testing and the processor getting way too hot, I got my new Scythe Zipang HSF today. I got it mounted with a bit of a struggle, but it's in. If you get one of these, it really needs the motherboard pulled to mount. I didn't do it like that, and had a rough time of it.
Anyway, I re-ran OCCT to check temperatures.Before it was 30/42 C idle and 54/62 C at load. Now I am happy to say its down to 23/38 C idle, and just 38/49 C load. This finally gives me a little headroom to start overclocking.
I'll keep you posted on progress.

My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD X-2 6000 89 watt Asus M3N78 Pro PNY 9600GT 512 PCI-E Corsair 2x2048 DDR6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Western Digital 500gb sata2 LG DVD-Ram XP Home Dell 17in CRT 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech multimedia Corsair TX750 Apevia Explorer 2 with lots of fans Logitech optical 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD X-2 6000 89 watt Asus M3N78 Pro PNY 9600GT 512 PCI-E Corsair 2x2048 DDR6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Western Digital 500gb sata2 LG DVD-Ram XP Home Dell 17in CRT 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech multimedia Corsair TX750 Apevia Explorer 2 with lots of fans Logitech optical 
  hide details  
Reply
post #783 of 1595
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen660 View Post
After testing and the processor getting way too hot, I got my new Scythe Zipang HSF today. I got it mounted with a bit of a struggle, but it's in. If you get one of these, it really needs the motherboard pulled to mount. I didn't do it like that, and had a rough time of it.
Anyway, I re-ran OCCT to check temperatures.Before it was 30/42 C idle and 54/62 C at load. Now I am happy to say its down to 23/38 C idle, and just 38/49 C load. This finally gives me a little headroom to start overclocking.
I'll keep you posted on progress.
Yeah 62C was way too hot. Try to keep it under 57C full load and things should be good. Keep us posted.

I'm having another go at overclocking mine. I don't think I'll get much more than 3.2Ghz though I couldn't seem to get much more last time I tried.
2017 Rig
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 5 1600 ASUS Crosshair VI Hero Gigabyte Windforce OC GTX 1700 G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3200 (2x8GB) Model F4-320... 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
MyDigitalSSD MDNVME80-BPX-0256 Phillips DVD Windows 10 AOC E2752VH 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech K120 EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 Cooler Master CM-690 Razer Naga 2014 
  hide details  
Reply
2017 Rig
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 5 1600 ASUS Crosshair VI Hero Gigabyte Windforce OC GTX 1700 G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3200 (2x8GB) Model F4-320... 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
MyDigitalSSD MDNVME80-BPX-0256 Phillips DVD Windows 10 AOC E2752VH 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech K120 EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 Cooler Master CM-690 Razer Naga 2014 
  hide details  
Reply
post #784 of 1595
OK, after getting my cooling issues resolved yesterday, and monitoring temp's overnight, I took the plunge this morning. Asus has a program called AI Suite, so I went in and adjusted the fsb to 210. I rebooted, and everything looked ok temperature wise. So I used a calculator to figure what would be an overclock of 3.2ghz. 214 was my lucky number, so I tried that. Rebooted again and I'm at 3214ghz, a 7.14% OC. I ran OCCT for an hour, it passed, system stable and temps were under 52 C at load the whole time. As I figure from talking to yall in here, I still have a 5 C window to play in here, so it should handle more if I wanted to go there. The Scythe Kama Bay 120mm fan will be here next week, so that will be the last of the cooling. I bumped it 200mhz and just got a rise of 3 degree's C. Oh, core temps still vary by a wide margin, 14 C at idle, 10 C at load.

My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD X-2 6000 89 watt Asus M3N78 Pro PNY 9600GT 512 PCI-E Corsair 2x2048 DDR6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Western Digital 500gb sata2 LG DVD-Ram XP Home Dell 17in CRT 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech multimedia Corsair TX750 Apevia Explorer 2 with lots of fans Logitech optical 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD X-2 6000 89 watt Asus M3N78 Pro PNY 9600GT 512 PCI-E Corsair 2x2048 DDR6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Western Digital 500gb sata2 LG DVD-Ram XP Home Dell 17in CRT 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech multimedia Corsair TX750 Apevia Explorer 2 with lots of fans Logitech optical 
  hide details  
Reply
post #785 of 1595
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen660 View Post
OK, after getting my cooling issues resolved yesterday, and monitoring temp's overnight, I took the plunge this morning. Asus has a program called AI Suite, so I went in and adjusted the fsb to 210. I rebooted, and everything looked ok temperature wise. So I used a calculator to figure what would be an overclock of 3.2ghz. 214 was my lucky number, so I tried that. Rebooted again and I'm at 3214ghz, a 7.14% OC. I ran OCCT for an hour, it passed, system stable and temps were under 52 C at load the whole time. As I figure from talking to yall in here, I still have a 5 C window to play in here, so it should handle more if I wanted to go there. The Scythe Kama Bay 120mm fan will be here next week, so that will be the last of the cooling. I bumped it 200mhz and just got a rise of 3 degree's C. Oh, core temps still vary by a wide margin, 14 C at idle, 10 C at load.
Did you use software to overclock? I'm surprised it was stable considering usually software overclocking is less stable than BIOS OC. I still can't get my CPU past 3.18Ghz. I think I just got a bum cpu My mobo also doesn't seem to be the most stable so I think I have 2 things working against me. Anyway, good luck with your OC
2017 Rig
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 5 1600 ASUS Crosshair VI Hero Gigabyte Windforce OC GTX 1700 G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3200 (2x8GB) Model F4-320... 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
MyDigitalSSD MDNVME80-BPX-0256 Phillips DVD Windows 10 AOC E2752VH 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech K120 EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 Cooler Master CM-690 Razer Naga 2014 
  hide details  
Reply
2017 Rig
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 5 1600 ASUS Crosshair VI Hero Gigabyte Windforce OC GTX 1700 G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3200 (2x8GB) Model F4-320... 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
MyDigitalSSD MDNVME80-BPX-0256 Phillips DVD Windows 10 AOC E2752VH 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech K120 EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 Cooler Master CM-690 Razer Naga 2014 
  hide details  
Reply
post #786 of 1595
Quote:
Originally Posted by WBaS View Post
Did you use software to overclock? I'm surprised it was stable considering usually software overclocking is less stable than BIOS OC. I still can't get my CPU past 3.18Ghz. I think I just got a bum cpu My mobo also doesn't seem to be the most stable so I think I have 2 things working against me. Anyway, good luck with your OC
Yes, I used the AI Suite overclocking utility that comes with Asus boards. All I did this morning was change the fsb to 214 in it, then rebooted. I changed nothing else. I ran the OCCT software after to check temperatures, and it all came out fine and within temp limits. Vcore is at 1.376 volts, the default setting. Memory is now running at 803.6, very slight OC. I am new to all this, but considering the 3 C temp rise with upping it to 3.2, I am guessing I can raise it out to 3.4 or so and it will still be in the safe zone. I only wanted to go to 3.2 in the first place, as this is my main system, and didn't want to push too far. If you want me to run certain software, so you can check the results, let me know. I am learning here, but not too shy to test new things. I'm an ex-submariner, and we tend to push the limits on stuff. I hope this helps.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD X-2 6000 89 watt Asus M3N78 Pro PNY 9600GT 512 PCI-E Corsair 2x2048 DDR6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Western Digital 500gb sata2 LG DVD-Ram XP Home Dell 17in CRT 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech multimedia Corsair TX750 Apevia Explorer 2 with lots of fans Logitech optical 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD X-2 6000 89 watt Asus M3N78 Pro PNY 9600GT 512 PCI-E Corsair 2x2048 DDR6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Western Digital 500gb sata2 LG DVD-Ram XP Home Dell 17in CRT 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech multimedia Corsair TX750 Apevia Explorer 2 with lots of fans Logitech optical 
  hide details  
Reply
post #787 of 1595
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen660 View Post
Yes, I used the AI Suite overclocking utility that comes with Asus boards. All I did this morning was change the fsb to 214 in it, then rebooted. I changed nothing else. I ran the OCCT software after to check temperatures, and it all came out fine and within temp limits. Vcore is at 1.376 volts, the default setting. Memory is now running at 803.6, very slight OC. I am new to all this, but considering the 3 C temp rise with upping it to 3.2, I am guessing I can raise it out to 3.4 or so and it will still be in the safe zone. I only wanted to go to 3.2 in the first place, as this is my main system, and didn't want to push too far. If you want me to run certain software, so you can check the results, let me know. I am learning here, but not too shy to test new things. I'm an ex-submariner, and we tend to push the limits on stuff. I hope this helps.
EDIT: Nvm I answered my own questions by looking at your graphs. lol I noticed though that you are using the 1hr test which is a mix of ram and cpu. Try using a custom test that stresses the cpu and if you aren't running any other programs, put it on high priority (from the orange settings button). This should stress your cpu a bit more to give you a better idea if it is stable. Keep up the good work.

I'd be interested to see how high of a stable OC you can get through software overclocking. Software overclocking has generally been looked down upon in the past. Perhaps things are finally starting to change.
Edited by WBaS - 10/16/08 at 1:01pm
2017 Rig
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 5 1600 ASUS Crosshair VI Hero Gigabyte Windforce OC GTX 1700 G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3200 (2x8GB) Model F4-320... 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
MyDigitalSSD MDNVME80-BPX-0256 Phillips DVD Windows 10 AOC E2752VH 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech K120 EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 Cooler Master CM-690 Razer Naga 2014 
  hide details  
Reply
2017 Rig
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 5 1600 ASUS Crosshair VI Hero Gigabyte Windforce OC GTX 1700 G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3200 (2x8GB) Model F4-320... 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
MyDigitalSSD MDNVME80-BPX-0256 Phillips DVD Windows 10 AOC E2752VH 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech K120 EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 Cooler Master CM-690 Razer Naga 2014 
  hide details  
Reply
post #788 of 1595
Ok, I ran the test as you asked, Custom/2 hour/cpu only. This is still at 3214mhz, fsb at 214. What I take is you are asking to push it up till failure, and see how high I can get it, stable, raising fsb only? The AI Suite software only allows changing the fsb, no other setting are available through it. It allows settings from 200 through 400 in one point increments. I can try this, but only till the temperature peaks over 57 C. There is an automatic overclock option in bios that allows percentage overclocking. The highest setting is 10%. I am at 7.15% now. Here are the graph's for the 2 hour test.
Good luck finding out what is holding your system back right now. Hope you resolve the problem. Thanks again for the help.

My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD X-2 6000 89 watt Asus M3N78 Pro PNY 9600GT 512 PCI-E Corsair 2x2048 DDR6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Western Digital 500gb sata2 LG DVD-Ram XP Home Dell 17in CRT 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech multimedia Corsair TX750 Apevia Explorer 2 with lots of fans Logitech optical 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD X-2 6000 89 watt Asus M3N78 Pro PNY 9600GT 512 PCI-E Corsair 2x2048 DDR6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Western Digital 500gb sata2 LG DVD-Ram XP Home Dell 17in CRT 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech multimedia Corsair TX750 Apevia Explorer 2 with lots of fans Logitech optical 
  hide details  
Reply
post #789 of 1595
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen660 View Post
Ok, I ran the test as you asked, Custom/2 hour/cpu only. This is still at 3214mhz, fsb at 214. What I take is you are asking to push it up till failure, and see how high I can get it, stable, raising fsb only? The AI Suite software only allows changing the fsb, no other setting are available through it. It allows settings from 200 through 400 in one point increments. I can try this, but only till the temperature peaks over 57 C. There is an automatic overclock option in bios that allows percentage overclocking. The highest setting is 10%. I am at 7.15% now. Here are the graph's for the 2 hour test.
Good luck finding out what is holding your system back right now. Hope you resolve the problem. Thanks again for the help.
I just wanted you to run the custom test on high priority for cpu only so that it would stress your cpu the most to ensure stability. I'm glad to see that you're stable with that setting. The goal is often to get as high of a stable OC as you can get, but I'm not asking you to do that. I just wanted you to be sure you were stable.

I personally wouldn't run my machine at temps any higher than 55C for 24/7 use. The absolute max temp that AMD lists is 60C I believe and you'll want a little bit of head room. Auto overclocking is typically not very stable and tends to create more problems than it solves, I wouldn't recommend doing that either.
2017 Rig
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 5 1600 ASUS Crosshair VI Hero Gigabyte Windforce OC GTX 1700 G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3200 (2x8GB) Model F4-320... 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
MyDigitalSSD MDNVME80-BPX-0256 Phillips DVD Windows 10 AOC E2752VH 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech K120 EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 Cooler Master CM-690 Razer Naga 2014 
  hide details  
Reply
2017 Rig
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 5 1600 ASUS Crosshair VI Hero Gigabyte Windforce OC GTX 1700 G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3200 (2x8GB) Model F4-320... 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
MyDigitalSSD MDNVME80-BPX-0256 Phillips DVD Windows 10 AOC E2752VH 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech K120 EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 Cooler Master CM-690 Razer Naga 2014 
  hide details  
Reply
post #790 of 1595
I tried pushing the fsb to 220 to clock it up to 3300 mhz this morning. It ran fine, until I tried to open CPU-Z, at which point the system locked up. So I agree with you, software clocking has its limits. I may test the manual method to OC this later, as something in the equation has made it unstable above 3200 mhz. Manually going through like the overclocker's guides tell you,let you test the limits of each piece of the problem.
I am happy at present with my 3.2ghz speed, and more than likely will start testing to see what each component can handle. Temperature is my limiting factor. So I will keep you informed as I test these. I am guessing it will hit 3.4ghz at least, maybe a little over that.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD X-2 6000 89 watt Asus M3N78 Pro PNY 9600GT 512 PCI-E Corsair 2x2048 DDR6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Western Digital 500gb sata2 LG DVD-Ram XP Home Dell 17in CRT 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech multimedia Corsair TX750 Apevia Explorer 2 with lots of fans Logitech optical 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD X-2 6000 89 watt Asus M3N78 Pro PNY 9600GT 512 PCI-E Corsair 2x2048 DDR6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Western Digital 500gb sata2 LG DVD-Ram XP Home Dell 17in CRT 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech multimedia Corsair TX750 Apevia Explorer 2 with lots of fans Logitech optical 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+ Club!