Forgive me as I am going to be jumping from section to section. It isnâ€™t my intention to present a convoluted log, but the PSU issue meant that I needed to find work that I could do that did not involve hardware installation. That being said, here are the windows:
Main chamber window panel:
HDD/PSU chamber window panels:
Checking for proper fitment:
In my last build post I complained bitterly about my lack of foresight insofar as the motherboard tray not seating properly due to the hardware for the fans blocking the travel path.
The issue (oopsies):
The quick hack job:
Ahâ€¦. Much better:
Front Panel wiring: I wrestled with this for awhile. There are a lot of wires that run from the front access panel to the Motherboard. Generally this is a boon, but in the particular case it is a bane.
I am attempting to keep the interior as neat and clean as possible. Since I will only be using a total of 5 USB ports, the sound output from the sound card (not the front panel), and I wonâ€™t need the 1394 connection (for now) I decided to hide the excess wiring. I still wanted to keep them readily available in the event that I do want to incorporate them.
I kept one of the USB cable free, and ran the rest of the wiring up the inner wall of the front of the case. This hides them, but leaves them in place for possible future useâ€¦. I chose vanity over full-functionality.
The upper and lower chambers of the TJ-07 are separated by a bulkhead that has a single overly large opening and 2 ancillary openings. I imagine that these are to provide the user multiple options when managing wires and cables â€“ a nice design touch.
For my use however there is too much open space. I debated whether the custom panel should be black or bronze acrylic. In the end I decided upon bronze. I only needed 3 holes; 2 for mounting, and one for the cables to run through. I attempted to devise some cool-looking mod for the travel path of the wiring, but anything that I came up with was more like a golem in the gearsâ€¦. I will get back to that later.
This internal window panel is held in place by the same hardware that secures the pump.
The pumps wires were entirely too long. I shortened them.
Note: When shortening wires that are going to be sleeved it can be helpful to stagger the cuts. This allows a tighter sleeving to fit over the newly re-wired parts without there being large â€œlumpsâ€ and â€œbumpsâ€ in the line that are caused by the soldering and the heat-shrink tubing.
Here is a close-up of the mounted pump.
And, another shot that is panned out.
Ugh! ....more drilling, that means even more re-painting.
This mod caused me some headaches, and I get the distinct impression that my woes are not quite done with yetâ€¦
My intention is to have the raptors clearly visible from the side and through the HDD/PSU chamber window. This meant rotating the cages. It also presented a new problem: data and power cables.
In order to have the fans attach to the cages, and the wiring to be able to be run I needed to make some changes. I re-drilled holes for the screws that mount the HDDs. Doing so moved the drives â€œforwardâ€ about 1/2â€. This will allow just enough room for the wiring to run between the backside of the HDDs and the fans.
This image shows my intended mounting. The (very) small gap that you see on the right will accommodate the wiring. This is not ideal, and it adds about 5 minutes of work in order to remove the drives. Since this is not a case that I plan to play â€œ3-card Montyâ€ with the hardware I settled for a less-than ideal wiring job. Yes, things will be tightâ€¦ but it will work â€“ I hope.
And the process:
Today I will spend some time on the hardware installation and the conversion from air to water.
There is one more rear-panel window mod that will incorporate the fan controller, but that is a story for a different day.
Thanks for looking.