Ok, I'll repost what I've done on my work in progress block here:
Alright figured I'd post my waterblock progress in a separate thread.
First up is my inspiration behind the design. For the LGA775 artic silver 5 method of TIM application it's, a nice "THIN LINE"....
This is a picture Audi posted about modifying the AS tube to get a really nice thin line:
The real intent behind all of this is that the C2D and Quad Core both have sort of rectangular die dimensions under the IHS. So...I went with this thought and I'm constructing a nice thin line type block, one inlet, dual outlet.
I'll just post my block progress pics here:
Milling the slab out square and step down:
Pin cut 1
Pin cut 2
And this is where I'm at currently. Cleaned up the base a bit by removing the partial pins and flat perimeter, still need to sandblast. I also have a good start on the mid block made out of Lexan/Polycarbonate:
And a better view of the guts...
Still need to trim off around the perimeter outside edge, but I figured I'd get it all bolted together first then trim the block nicely as one unit for a perfect match.
So it's got a linear nozzle in the center and two linear outlets at the top and bottom. Note the 45 degree square pin cut will force the water to weave through the pin matrix.
Also still contemplating o-ring vs. other gasket methods.. I think I left just enough room to cut an o-ring channel step, but I'm not sure what I want yet..
Update 10-16 Top Block
Top down view:
Update 10-17 Sand Blasted Base, finished top block, finished perimeter, machined base
Updated 10-18 Finished assembly, temporary hold down plate, installed and getting ready to test..
Rocker/Single center point force mounting plate..
Next up, had to see the nozzle/accelerator jets in action...
And here is the block installed, quick and dirty hold down plate until I figure out something cooler, but it works.
Update on Version 2... 11-2-07, deburred and dished base between pins, removed nozzle holes in favor of a continuous slot.
I decided to try very small changes to my CPU block at a time and test results thoroughly.
For this round I did the following:
Deburred the copper pin base with a 1/32" drill bit. There were some burrs left from the slotting saw that this cleaned up and it also left the base between the pins with a more efficient rounded bottom in between all the pins.
Second, I noticed that the block was fairly restrictive, almost more than my nozzled fuzion, and that the nozzle holes didn't necessarily line up with the pin openings.
The nozzle change:
New results...getting closer one degree at a time...