Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L Thread - Page 136

post #1351 of 4644
Thought I'd post an update on my OC'ing experience...

Using BIOS F8a, I set my FSB down to 389 instead of 400, so at 9x this gives me 3.5 GHz. PCI-E set to 100. Memory timings are now 5-6-6-18. The other timings are left on auto. I set voltages to manual and added +0.3v to RAM. Then went back and set voltages to auto (the +0.3 will still show and stay set there). The reason I set voltages to auto is that I still cannot make any change to my VCore - if I do I cannot get past POST stage...still can't figure out why.

Looks like I can at least run 3.5GHz stable...I ran Orthos blend for 12 hours with no errors or warnings. Temps are good, CPU peaked at about 44 but mostly hovered around 42/43.

Other than not being able to change the VCore, it looks like my RAM sucks. It is rated to run at 400 FSB but it just can't make it past 389. I'm happy that I can at least get an extra 500 MHz but with my cooling and better RAM I'm sure 4.00 GHz would be easy (if I could only figure out how to change VCore and still boot). I may trade my OCZ in and get some G-Skill 1000 sticks.

Any last ideas why I can't mess with VCore and have any success booting?


RIG-2008
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel E8400 Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L BFG 8800GT OC 512 MB 2 x 2GB OCZ Platinum 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
2 x 250GB Samsung 2 x 18x Samsung DVD +/-RW Windows XP Professional 500w OCZ StealthXStream 
Case
Lian Li 
  hide details  
Reply
RIG-2008
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel E8400 Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L BFG 8800GT OC 512 MB 2 x 2GB OCZ Platinum 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
2 x 250GB Samsung 2 x 18x Samsung DVD +/-RW Windows XP Professional 500w OCZ StealthXStream 
Case
Lian Li 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1352 of 4644
So I recently sld my 680i board and ordered a DS3L. Just curious about al the Vdroop on the Vcore that people have been posting about.

I've had this chip in an Evga 680i, P5N-32 680i, and a P5K-Deluxe Wifi. I've recently decided to step my PC down from gaming to just wanting to have the most processing power I can squeeze out of it.

With this chip I saw these best results on the P35 chipset, which was 3.825MHz at 1.45Vcore. Thi was under a high end water setup btw, but I am in the process of picking out some new cooling and am expecting similar results with this board.

So I'm wondering what people are seeing with this board on G0s and at what Vcores with what Vdroops. I'm gonna be sad if I can't get my G0 back up there.

Thanks for the help and I'll post some results of my own after the board gets here tomorrow.
post #1353 of 4644
ok, why is cpu-z saying my coreV is lower than what i set it for in bios? am i missing something?
post #1354 of 4644
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphski View Post
ok, why is cpu-z saying my coreV is lower than what i set it for in bios? am i missing something?
Yes, all 136 pages of this thread.


<<<POST COUNT!!!
HTPC
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i3 2120T Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3 i3 HD2000 8gb Kingston HyperX Blu 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
9.5 TB Storage Samsung BD-ROM Windows 7 Prof 47in LG LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
I/O Gear Wireless 500W FSP CM690 Dell M2010 Remote 
  hide details  
Reply
HTPC
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i3 2120T Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3 i3 HD2000 8gb Kingston HyperX Blu 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
9.5 TB Storage Samsung BD-ROM Windows 7 Prof 47in LG LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
I/O Gear Wireless 500W FSP CM690 Dell M2010 Remote 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1355 of 4644
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphski View Post
ok, why is cpu-z saying my coreV is lower than what i set it for in bios? am i missing something?
This board is noted for both a significant vdrop and vdroop. As noted, there are plenty of references to this throughout the thread (I realize 136 pages is daunting though).
My Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6750 @ 3.6 GHz 1.46875 vcore Gigabyte P35 DS3L Rev. 2 EVGA 8800 GT Mushkin HP PC6400 DDR2 @ 900MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 250 GB SATA2; Seagate 160 GB SATA Pioneer DVR-212D Windows XP SP2 Samsung SyncMaster 940B 
PowerCase
PC P&C Silencer 750W Antec Nine Hundred 
  hide details  
Reply
My Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6750 @ 3.6 GHz 1.46875 vcore Gigabyte P35 DS3L Rev. 2 EVGA 8800 GT Mushkin HP PC6400 DDR2 @ 900MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 250 GB SATA2; Seagate 160 GB SATA Pioneer DVR-212D Windows XP SP2 Samsung SyncMaster 940B 
PowerCase
PC P&C Silencer 750W Antec Nine Hundred 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1356 of 4644
k, so i should go by the cpu-z reading and not what my mobo is set for. also is there a fix for this?
post #1357 of 4644
Thread Starter 
Greetings thread readers/responders,

From this point forward, instead of posting your best overclock results here in the thread, please PM me (click on my name --> "send a private message") to get your name added to the list of successful overclocks in the OP. Please remember to send ALL of the necessary information, and check the first post if you do not know what all that includes. It'll be much easier for me to keep track of who's been updated or put in the list that way.

I'd also like to include a list of general tips regarding overclocking this board (such as the vdroop problems) in the first post as well. I'd like all your input as to what all to include in this tips section, with the goal of eliminating many of the redundant questions that keep getting asked, as well as having enough of a guide for new overclockers to work with on this board. Please give me ideas/tips for what all to include in this tips list/guide. The format will likely follow something like what is shown below...

Quote:
OVERCLOCKING GUIDE:
Step 1: Do this
Step 2: Do that
Step 3: Check this
etc...

GENERAL TIPS:
Vdroop/drop: Blah bleh blah.
etc...
-SgtSpike
post #1358 of 4644
I'm going to go ahead and get started on an OC guide and a FAQ section.

If anyone would like to repost some of their earlier instructions or add a topic for the FAQ section please PM me and I will be sure to include it in the compilation.
Current System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q6600 G0 Gigabyte EP43-UD3L PNY GTX 260 Core 216 G.Skill DDR2 1000 2x2gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Western Digital SATA 500GB Liteon DVD-RW DL 20x (x2) Microsoft Vista 64bit LG 23" LED + Acer 19" LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Rosewill RP550-2 Coolermaster 690 Logitech G500 
  hide details  
Reply
Current System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q6600 G0 Gigabyte EP43-UD3L PNY GTX 260 Core 216 G.Skill DDR2 1000 2x2gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Western Digital SATA 500GB Liteon DVD-RW DL 20x (x2) Microsoft Vista 64bit LG 23" LED + Acer 19" LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Rosewill RP550-2 Coolermaster 690 Logitech G500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1359 of 4644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silviastud View Post
So I recently sld my 680i board and ordered a DS3L. Just curious about al the Vdroop on the Vcore that people have been posting about.

I've had this chip in an Evga 680i, P5N-32 680i, and a P5K-Deluxe Wifi. I've recently decided to step my PC down from gaming to just wanting to have the most processing power I can squeeze out of it.

With this chip I saw these best results on the P35 chipset, which was 3.825MHz at 1.45Vcore. Thi was under a high end water setup btw, but I am in the process of picking out some new cooling and am expecting similar results with this board.

So I'm wondering what people are seeing with this board on G0s and at what Vcores with what Vdroops. I'm gonna be sad if I can't get my G0 back up there.

Thanks for the help and I'll post some results of my own after the board gets here tomorrow.
I run at BIOS 1.55, which is Idle 1.505 (there's your vdroop and vcore) for 400x9 = 3.6ghz stable. I could probably do better if I knew what the normal FSB and Northbridge voltages were, but I havent' been industrious enough to check them yet.
Current System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q6600 G0 Gigabyte EP43-UD3L PNY GTX 260 Core 216 G.Skill DDR2 1000 2x2gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Western Digital SATA 500GB Liteon DVD-RW DL 20x (x2) Microsoft Vista 64bit LG 23" LED + Acer 19" LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Rosewill RP550-2 Coolermaster 690 Logitech G500 
  hide details  
Reply
Current System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q6600 G0 Gigabyte EP43-UD3L PNY GTX 260 Core 216 G.Skill DDR2 1000 2x2gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Western Digital SATA 500GB Liteon DVD-RW DL 20x (x2) Microsoft Vista 64bit LG 23" LED + Acer 19" LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Rosewill RP550-2 Coolermaster 690 Logitech G500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1360 of 4644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Nobody View Post
Thought I'd post an update on my OC'ing experience...

Using BIOS F8a, I set my FSB down to 389 instead of 400, so at 9x this gives me 3.5 GHz. PCI-E set to 100. Memory timings are now 5-6-6-18. The other timings are left on auto. I set voltages to manual and added +0.3v to RAM. Then went back and set voltages to auto (the +0.3 will still show and stay set there). The reason I set voltages to auto is that I still cannot make any change to my VCore - if I do I cannot get past POST stage...still can't figure out why.

Looks like I can at least run 3.5GHz stable...I ran Orthos blend for 12 hours with no errors or warnings. Temps are good, CPU peaked at about 44 but mostly hovered around 42/43.

Other than not being able to change the VCore, it looks like my RAM sucks. It is rated to run at 400 FSB but it just can't make it past 389. I'm happy that I can at least get an extra 500 MHz but with my cooling and better RAM I'm sure 4.00 GHz would be easy (if I could only figure out how to change VCore and still boot). I may trade my OCZ in and get some G-Skill 1000 sticks.

Any last ideas why I can't mess with VCore and have any success booting?
You may have to loosen up the timings on the memory to get it to run at that speed. Ctrl-f1 unlocks this menu.

Are you sure you're setting the Vcore properly? What I mean is, when you change the vcore in BIOS, the setting is usually higher than the true idle vcore. I would suggest actually lowering the FSB until you can get your manually set VCORE stable and test the difference between BIOS and Idle VCORE in Windows to really get an idea of what it's being set at.

My bios is approximately 0.045v higher than the true measurement (idle). So, I set 1.550 for 1.505 Vcore Idle and 1.375 for 1.325 Vcore Idle. (or whatever the closest may be allowed in BIOS).
Current System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q6600 G0 Gigabyte EP43-UD3L PNY GTX 260 Core 216 G.Skill DDR2 1000 2x2gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Western Digital SATA 500GB Liteon DVD-RW DL 20x (x2) Microsoft Vista 64bit LG 23" LED + Acer 19" LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Rosewill RP550-2 Coolermaster 690 Logitech G500 
  hide details  
Reply
Current System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q6600 G0 Gigabyte EP43-UD3L PNY GTX 260 Core 216 G.Skill DDR2 1000 2x2gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Western Digital SATA 500GB Liteon DVD-RW DL 20x (x2) Microsoft Vista 64bit LG 23" LED + Acer 19" LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Rosewill RP550-2 Coolermaster 690 Logitech G500 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel Motherboards
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L Thread