Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L Thread - Page 44

post #431 of 4644
Hi, I have the same mobo as you all, but I put the memory multiplier at 2.00 and then the fsb at 356, increased the Q6600 processor to 1.43v or somewhere close to that and it is pretty stable, but my problem is cpu-z sees it as 3.20ghz for speed like 10 seconds and the next it is at 2.1ghz and then bak up to 3.20ghz....and it keeps changing but the fsb stays the same but not the multiplier!

Does anyone know of the fast Ghz I can get this processor up to with stability and a pic of the bios would be nice since I have NO idea what i'm doing...i'm just changing stuff really.....

Or if my question is already answered in this HUGE thread....please direct me to the page. thanks

Help would be appreciated it NOOB terms so i can understand, LOL
post #432 of 4644
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by salbahe View Post
hi,

i'm new to this OC thing and i have question regarding RAM...

what is the difference between the value ram and the hyperx ram?
coz i'm planning to build a new PC and i found these types of RAM when i visited kingston's site.

will both rams give me the same performance? if not, will i be able to overclock if i purchase the value ram?

and 1 more thing, i'm planning to buy these:

GA-P35-DS3L or R
Q6600
XFX 8800GT 512MB
thermalite 120 ultra
i'll be using 4GB of RAM btw... my question is how may watts will my PSU be?
if i'll be using these...

thanks!!!
You would be able to OC with the value ram, just not quite as much. Get the best memory you can afford, you won't regret it. It is definitely a must if you're going to be OCing.

A decent 500w power supply, like the Xclio Goodpower, would be plenty for you. No need to get a 600-700w, unless you plan on adding a 9800GTX or something later on down the line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coelocanth View Post
I'm wondering about this as well. I pushed my OC slightly higher last night and got an error in Prime95, so I went into the BIOS and boosted the vcore slightly higher to 1.3875 volts.

CPU-z shows my idle voltage at 1.36 and my voltage under load drops to 1.344. I understand the latter is the vdroop, but what's with the former? Is this vdrop? If so, how much juice is actually going into the chip when idle? Is it 1.385 or 1.36?

I'm curious to know so I can determine how high I can safely set the vltages in the BIOS.
CPU-Z version 1.41 and later will display the correct voltages. I did some research on this and it seems that it is generally agreed upon that CPU-Z is the most accurate voltage reader for most modern boards. I attribute the difference on this particular board not as a hardware error, but as the BIOS giving voltages lower than they are actually set.
Quote:
Originally Posted by salbahe View Post
i see... but the RAMs that are available here ae mostly kingston and corsair... anyway i'll just settle for them coz i have no other choice... anyway, is thermalite 120 ultra enough or do i really need to add more cooling stuffs? i'm just planning to OC my processor up to 3Ghz or maybe more if thermalite is already enough....
The thermalite 120 ultra is an excellent cooler. You shouldn't have any trouble getting up to 3.4ghz at least if you get a G0 revision Q6600.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan72588 View Post
Hi, I have the same mobo as you all, but I put the memory multiplier at 2.00 and then the fsb at 356, increased the Q6600 processor to 1.43v or somewhere close to that and it is pretty stable, but my problem is cpu-z sees it as 3.20ghz for speed like 10 seconds and the next it is at 2.1ghz and then bak up to 3.20ghz....and it keeps changing but the fsb stays the same but not the multiplier!

Does anyone know of the fast Ghz I can get this processor up to with stability and a pic of the bios would be nice since I have NO idea what i'm doing...i'm just changing stuff really.....

Or if my question is already answered in this HUGE thread....please direct me to the page. thanks

Help would be appreciated it NOOB terms so i can understand, LOL
Turn off C1E or Intel SpeedStep (EIST). It's a power saving feature that reduces the processor speed while the processor is idle.

Heh, if I had a penny for every time that question was asked...
post #433 of 4644
Thanks Sarge. That's a big help and it means I have a bit more headroom with the vcore.

A couple further questions, if I may:

1) I've got the RAM timings on auto (although I've set the RAM voltage to 2.1 volts, which is what it's rated for). Memroy multiplier is at 2.0, so as I step up the FSB, the RAM speed is also being stepped up. It's DDR2 6400 RAM, and it's now running at 820 MHz (rated at 800), but I've done research on it and it's capable of OCing to 1000 MHz relatively easily. Anyway, is this a good way to go about the OC (finding the highest FSB I can get stable, then work out the RAM timings), or should I unsync the RAM? Should I be setting the timings manually (say at 5-5-5-18)? They currently are set by the mobo and with this last bump they've gone to 5-6-6-19.

2) Thought I'd ask about the flashing red 'system is not optimized' warning in the BIOS (In the M.I.T section). I assume it's there just because I'm overclocking, but is there more to it than that? Should it concern me?

Thanks.
My Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6750 @ 3.6 GHz 1.46875 vcore Gigabyte P35 DS3L Rev. 2 EVGA 8800 GT Mushkin HP PC6400 DDR2 @ 900MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 250 GB SATA2; Seagate 160 GB SATA Pioneer DVR-212D Windows XP SP2 Samsung SyncMaster 940B 
PowerCase
PC P&C Silencer 750W Antec Nine Hundred 
  hide details  
Reply
My Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6750 @ 3.6 GHz 1.46875 vcore Gigabyte P35 DS3L Rev. 2 EVGA 8800 GT Mushkin HP PC6400 DDR2 @ 900MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 250 GB SATA2; Seagate 160 GB SATA Pioneer DVR-212D Windows XP SP2 Samsung SyncMaster 940B 
PowerCase
PC P&C Silencer 750W Antec Nine Hundred 
  hide details  
Reply
post #434 of 4644
Just FYI, newegg did restock this product. They raised the price (again) to $99 but it's still looking like the value to beat. I'm still really concerned about what BIOS I'll be getting.

Does anyone who uses this board also use the Arctic Cooler 7 here? I've seen it recommended by P35-DS3L users in the past, I just wanted to make sure it fit well, and that the large chipset heatsink didn't interfere with mounting it properly.. that seems like a good value too.
post #435 of 4644
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBogard View Post
Just FYI, newegg did restock this product. They raised the price (again) to $99 but it's still looking like the value to beat.

Does anyone who uses this board also use the Arctic Cooler 7 here? I've seen it recommended by P35-DS3L users in the past, I just wanted to make sure it fit well, and that the large chipset heatsink didn't interfere with mounting it properly.. that seems like a good value too.
I have the AC7 Pro on both of my boards. I have both a 1.0 and 2.0 DS3L and have one on each.
post #436 of 4644
Cool (no pun intended ). Newegg doesn't mention which revision the DS3L is.. what's the difference between the two boards? I imagine all new boards are Rev. 2 anyway, right?
post #437 of 4644
I got the 1.0 from a local store about 2 months ago and the 2.0 from Newegg, just 2 weeks ago. The only difference I can see is that the 2.0 has 2 more USB ports in the back and a newer BIOS (F6) installed. I have flashed both to F7 now.

Oh, and one more thing. The 2.0 reads the ram as 533Mhz by SPD, when set to auto and it's 667MHZ ram. I use the same exact ram in both and the 1.0 reads it at 667Mhz like it should. Not a big deal, I guess, because I don't have it set on auto anyways.
post #438 of 4644
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanglx302 View Post
I got the 1.0 from a local store about 2 months ago and the 2.0 from Newegg, just 2 weeks ago. The only difference I can see is that the 2.0 has 2 more USB ports in the back and a newer BIOS (F6) installed. I have flashed both to F7 now.

Oh, and one more thing. The 2.0 reads the ram as 533Mhz by SPD, when set to auto and it's 667MHZ ram. I use the same exact ram in both and the 1.0 reads it at 667Mhz like it should. Not a big deal, I guess, because I don't have it set on auto anyways.
The DS3L you received from Newegg two weeks ago came with the F6 BIOS--which supports 45nm chips? If that's the case, I'd feel a little better about ordering one along side an E8400 in late January/early February. I'm a little worried about completing a build with an E8400 only to find that my motherboard needs to be flashed to support the CPU.

PS. Does the AC7 Pro have thermal compound already on the unit, that I'd have to remove to apply my own arctic silver?
post #439 of 4644
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtSpike View Post
You would be able to OC with the value ram, just not quite as much. Get the best memory you can afford, you won't regret it. It is definitely a must if you're going to be OCing.

A decent 500w power supply, like the Xclio Goodpower, would be plenty for you. No need to get a 600-700w, unless you plan on adding a 9800GTX or something later on down the line.

CPU-Z version 1.41 and later will display the correct voltages. I did some research on this and it seems that it is generally agreed upon that CPU-Z is the most accurate voltage reader for most modern boards. I attribute the difference on this particular board not as a hardware error, but as the BIOS giving voltages lower than they are actually set.

The thermalite 120 ultra is an excellent cooler. You shouldn't have any trouble getting up to 3.4ghz at least if you get a G0 revision Q6600.

Turn off C1E or Intel SpeedStep (EIST). It's a power saving feature that reduces the processor speed while the processor is idle.

Heh, if I had a penny for every time that question was asked...

Um...where do I find the feature to turn it off? Is it in the bios or in windows xp? I do not see it in the bios. Then again, I am a noob, so some help on where it is at and the fastest speed I can overclock at with stability would be some nice information that a noob like me can understand.....thanks!
post #440 of 4644
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan72588 View Post
Um...where do I find the feature to turn it off? Is it in the bios or in windows xp? I do not see it in the bios. Then again, I am a noob, so some help on where it is at and the fastest speed I can overclock at with stability would be some nice information that a noob like me can understand.....thanks!
It's in the BIOS under Advanced BIOS Features. It's called CPU EIST Function.

As far sa fastest speed you can overclock: there's no guarantees. Depends on your chip and the best course of action is to go up a small step at a time and test for stability each time.
My Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6750 @ 3.6 GHz 1.46875 vcore Gigabyte P35 DS3L Rev. 2 EVGA 8800 GT Mushkin HP PC6400 DDR2 @ 900MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 250 GB SATA2; Seagate 160 GB SATA Pioneer DVR-212D Windows XP SP2 Samsung SyncMaster 940B 
PowerCase
PC P&C Silencer 750W Antec Nine Hundred 
  hide details  
Reply
My Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6750 @ 3.6 GHz 1.46875 vcore Gigabyte P35 DS3L Rev. 2 EVGA 8800 GT Mushkin HP PC6400 DDR2 @ 900MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 250 GB SATA2; Seagate 160 GB SATA Pioneer DVR-212D Windows XP SP2 Samsung SyncMaster 940B 
PowerCase
PC P&C Silencer 750W Antec Nine Hundred 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel Motherboards
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L Thread