Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Never been convinced by Linux? Here is a challenge for you.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Never been convinced by Linux? Here is a challenge for you. - Page 13

post #121 of 1717
Here goes my statement:

I don't use linux because it has no benefit over Windows. There. =]

Plus I am in love with EXE's. Greatest thing since water.


But in all seriousness, I have used multiple Linux's and just got bored super fast. I am a gamer =P
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 ASUS P5B-Deluxe eVGA 8800GT 512mb 4gb [2x2] G.Skill DDR2 1000 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
320gb Seagate Barracuda + 160gb LG DVDRW Windows Vista Ultimate x64 MAG 19" Widescreen 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech S510 Wireless 600w OCZ GameXStream Gigabyte 3D Aurora Logitech G5 [Second Revision] 
Mouse Pad
Black 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 ASUS P5B-Deluxe eVGA 8800GT 512mb 4gb [2x2] G.Skill DDR2 1000 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
320gb Seagate Barracuda + 160gb LG DVDRW Windows Vista Ultimate x64 MAG 19" Widescreen 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech S510 Wireless 600w OCZ GameXStream Gigabyte 3D Aurora Logitech G5 [Second Revision] 
Mouse Pad
Black 
  hide details  
Reply
post #122 of 1717
Hopefully you don't get mauled over your statement. This thread was supposed to be simple in idea. Good idea, but it has turned out to be a flame war mainly due to the fact that Windows users game and gaming is not practical on Linux and some programs are headaches to have to install in Linux. The end.

While I like Linux in idea and spirit, it isn't so inviting to the average person or hard core gamer.

I am going to bed, but seriously, I hope the Linux users on here view this thread and see one fault already. It turns out that Linux purists have an attitude towards anyone else who has an opinion and prefers something else for their own reason. Instead of trying to tell someone they are wrong or argue, simply try and help. Isn't that the idea of Linux?

Good night folks.
post #123 of 1717
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoddimusPrime View Post
By the way, I am sorry to have assumed the opposing side as I am trying not to, but this thread was intended not to cause an argument. I am glad you like Linux, but for ease of use and compatibility it is not for me. My time is very valuable and I am happy it is easy for you, but if it were so easy and better then I think more people would be using it and more major developers would be supporting it. Period.
I can see your point. But keep in mind (most have lost sight already) that the focus on this thread was people on OCN giving Linux a try. We aren't talking about mainstream or grandmas or moms and dads. We're talking about advanced computer users here on OCN trying out a new OS and hopefully gaining some insight and seeing what this is all about.

Unfortunately, as you said, this thread has turned into bickering and justifications of why we're using windows instead (repeating those such reasons Lattyware already stated in the beginning of this thread.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by l V l View Post
Here goes my statement:

I don't use linux because it has no benefit over Windows. There. =]

Plus I am in love with EXE's. Greatest thing since water.


But in all seriousness, I have used multiple Linux's and just got bored super fast. I am a gamer =P
Well to be honest, if you're at least proficient in the computing world, it wouldn't kill you to go to a terminal and type ./install instead of clicking on an install.exe icon. I mean come on, you hate OSX because it's "too easy," don't you?
post #124 of 1717
Like I said, all my preferences come from gaming... that would be why I hate OSX...

If I did not game, I would probably use linux... who knows.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 ASUS P5B-Deluxe eVGA 8800GT 512mb 4gb [2x2] G.Skill DDR2 1000 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
320gb Seagate Barracuda + 160gb LG DVDRW Windows Vista Ultimate x64 MAG 19" Widescreen 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech S510 Wireless 600w OCZ GameXStream Gigabyte 3D Aurora Logitech G5 [Second Revision] 
Mouse Pad
Black 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 ASUS P5B-Deluxe eVGA 8800GT 512mb 4gb [2x2] G.Skill DDR2 1000 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
320gb Seagate Barracuda + 160gb LG DVDRW Windows Vista Ultimate x64 MAG 19" Widescreen 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech S510 Wireless 600w OCZ GameXStream Gigabyte 3D Aurora Logitech G5 [Second Revision] 
Mouse Pad
Black 
  hide details  
Reply
post #125 of 1717

See, I was kinda appathetic about the whole Linux thing... just kinda played around with it because I needed it for my Senior design project

That was till I saw this:


So i've spent the last few hours playing around with my settings trying to make have fun with the settings

-Note that this is not 7.10 and compiz fusion (i'm not sure if compiz can do all this stuff quite yet), but instead 7.04 and beryl--It's fun!
Monster Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 G0 P5K Deluxe 3870 2X1GB Geil 800 MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
4 x 250 barracuda's 2 x DVD Writers Windows 7 22" Acer LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razor 600W GameXStream TT Armor Modded Razor 
  hide details  
Reply
Monster Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 G0 P5K Deluxe 3870 2X1GB Geil 800 MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
4 x 250 barracuda's 2 x DVD Writers Windows 7 22" Acer LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razor 600W GameXStream TT Armor Modded Razor 
  hide details  
Reply
post #126 of 1717
Quote:
Originally Posted by ae804 View Post
See, I was kinda appathetic about the whole Linux thing... just kinda played around with it because I needed it for my Senior design project

That was till I saw this:

So i've spent the last few hours playing around with my settings trying to make have fun with the settings

-Note that this is not 7.10 and compiz fusion (i'm not sure if compiz can do all this stuff quite yet), but instead 7.04 and beryl--It's fun!
Wow, that owned hardcore! You're hearing this from the #1 Matrix fan

You so gotta teach me that
post #127 of 1717
I just wish that people would put in the same amount of time learning Linux that they did to learn Windows then we might actually get more users and, In turn more 3rd party devs making their programs run nativley on *nix
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570K P8Z77-M XFX 7870 1150/1400 2 x 4g Corsair Vengeance LP 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Callisto Deluxe 40GB & 1TB Sammy Spinpoint F1 &... Nec ND3540A W7 RTM ACER V243HLbmd 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Curve 2000 PC P&C Silencer 750w Antec 300 MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570K P8Z77-M XFX 7870 1150/1400 2 x 4g Corsair Vengeance LP 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Callisto Deluxe 40GB & 1TB Sammy Spinpoint F1 &... Nec ND3540A W7 RTM ACER V243HLbmd 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Curve 2000 PC P&C Silencer 750w Antec 300 MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
post #128 of 1717
Crystal Method for the song if I am correct?

Tell you guys what. I will be willing to install Linux if you guys can help me with a few things:

1. What version do you guys like the best? Ubuntu seems nice to me. Also, there is some PC Linux that is supposedly nice. Give some opinions.
2. Is it easy to dual boot XP with Linux installed first? I don't even care if it is easier to buy a second hard drive and do it.
3. Tell me whether Linux will take advantage of my setup. Running Q6600 quad core processor, 4 Gigs of RAM, and an 8800GT. I want to make full use of it.
4. Is Linux a faster operating system? I need to know this just because I built the computer with speed in mind.
5. How realistic would it be to run video editing programs, design programs, and such with professional quality/grade. Right now I use Adobe/Macromedia/Avid Liquid.
6. Someone mentioned I could download an easy to use player that had a an album database so it would assign the proper pictures for the album, etc. without me having to cut and past for each artist. I have a lot of music. On top of that I like to sniff out new artists and have done so via iTunes. I am willing to try something else, but would like to be able to hunt down new artists by accident, etc.
7. How the heck do I get that Matrix theme going in Linux!!!
8. Can I use Linux to interface with other machines using other OS's? Is it easy to network? How about streaming videos to my PS3? Really, I am serious on that one.
9. And oh yeah, can I pull an Oceans movie stunt with Linux

In all seriousness, I would like to see someone spell it all out and help me with that. If you can do that then I will give Linux a genuine try. This is my challenge to the Linux user's.
post #129 of 1717
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoddimusPrime View Post
Crystal Method for the song if I am correct?
8. Can I use Linux to interface with other machines using other OS's? Is it easy to network? How about streaming videos to my PS3? Really, I am serious on that one.
The networking side should be very easy, you can use Samba for SMB windows file shares, or personally I just use SCP / SSH which keeps me from having to run Samba on my Linux boxes.

You can get a great SCP client for Windows which will allow you drag drop file copying to / from you linux box at http://www.winscp.com

Good luck :-)
Desktop
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6600 Asus P5B Deluxe WiFi x1950PRO 512mb 4 gig 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
250 WD SATA, 2x in RAID 0 2x Samsung DVD burners with LS Vista Ultimate x64 Viewsonic 22 inch Widescreen 
PowerCase
Muskin 550w a black one 
  hide details  
Reply
Desktop
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6600 Asus P5B Deluxe WiFi x1950PRO 512mb 4 gig 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
250 WD SATA, 2x in RAID 0 2x Samsung DVD burners with LS Vista Ultimate x64 Viewsonic 22 inch Widescreen 
PowerCase
Muskin 550w a black one 
  hide details  
Reply
post #130 of 1717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
What distro of linux would you suggest for people starting off?
(X)or(K)ubuntu or, try Sabayon... beryl works out of the box as does all teh hardware on my lappy.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 Asus Lappy GeForce GT520M 4096 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
500GB LG W7=64 ult + Slackware13.1_64 + MineOS HP w2207h 
KeyboardCaseMouse
logitech G11 Fugly, lol logitech mx518 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 Asus Lappy GeForce GT520M 4096 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
500GB LG W7=64 ult + Slackware13.1_64 + MineOS HP w2207h 
KeyboardCaseMouse
logitech G11 Fugly, lol logitech mx518 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Operating Systems
Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Never been convinced by Linux? Here is a challenge for you.