Originally Posted by repo_man
No new pics
It's been a long day.
I started in on the metal parts of the front bezel today.
First, I thought I would use my trusty Skilsaw to cut the pipe. Clamped it down, and got ready to tear into it:
Innumerable blown fuses later (gotta love modding in an apartment), and after making very little progress, I surrendered to a good old fashioned hacksaw and a little anger. Ended up with this:
If you're following along, you know I planned to curve those somewhat to mate with the diamond plate front panels. I don't want to go into the clusterbucket that it was to get that mess above workable. Let's just say it took... most of the day, and most of a grinding wheel on my bench grinder.
Never surrender! I wouldn't be beaten that easily. Part deux, I got a little smarter. I laid out the needed curve with electrical tape (worked well since its flexible), then traced a guide line for myself with a black marker. Two reinforced disks later, I had a nice groove cut for myself in the pipe, with a spot deep enough to get a jigsaw blade into:
That went much better, but I had to be careful not to go too fast, or I would foul my blade with the aluminum. I kept a file in my pocket to take care of this sort of mess:
The end result here required much less finishing, and I was in business shortly after I finished the cut:
I'm trying something new for the bonding of the two parts. I don't know how this is going to work. "bonds whatever, lasts forever!" ... we'll see Mr. Goop. I've got one of them drying overnight now:
I don't want to pull the one out of the clamps yet, but I can show you a test fit on the other one. It looks pretty good:
The aluminum you see is a plate I made for the new fan mounts. The tube fits flush against that, and the fans will mount to the back side of it, inside the case.
That's all for today. I have tomorrow off though, so hopefully I'll have more to show you later.
'til next time folks.