I have a little Saturday morning activity to share.
As soon as I had my shroud together, I knew what I was going to do with some of my new fan controllers, I just wasn't sure how exactly I was going to go about it.
I got that sorted this morning:
I decided I wanted to keep the knobs as low profile as I could, so I was going to need bigger holes than what would be needed for just the rheostat stalks. I also knew they were going to need to be drilled just
right, or this was going to end up looking like poo.
I first made a test panel out of metal, and then used that to make a guide for myself out of wood. Quick test fit to make sure I was tracking:
And I was ready to rock:
About halfway through the second hole, I thought the vibrations were going to tear my poor shroud apart. I finally decided that the ancient bit set I found in my grandfather's basement about a 20 years ago probably wasn't going to cut it.
Quick trip to the hardware store (cue angelic orchestral score here):
Much much better! The rest of the holes went in with no incident. Time for a test fit:
I shouldn't have to worry about those getting too hot, not with two 120mm exhaust fans moving air directly over them. It's probably not a huge deal, but I like the idea that their heat is isolated from the rest of the case regardless.
That's the ticket:
The knobs look a touch crooked because I haven't fitted the L brackets inside to mount them properly. they're just sitting in there. When properly aligned however, they turn freely and the holes are sized perfectly.
I've got a bit more to do with the shroud assembly (sorting the wire routing and what not), but I hope to have it more or less complete by the end of the day.
Gotta clear the slate for more moddin' on tomorrow!