So, I figured I'd give you guys an update of the last 3 years... I'll keep it moderately short, but feel free to ask questions.
How the original network ended up working, was this:
2 Physical Dell Poweredge 2950 Servers (2 x Xeon, 16gb ram, 4x300gb 15k HDD)
One called Eclipse, One called Talon
I installed Ubuntu 64bit on each of them, then the Xen Hypervisor to virtualize guests on there.
I created these guests:
Guests with (1) at the end, are primary hosts, guests with (2) at the end are clones, in High Availability configuration (if 1 goes down, 2 jumps into action)
- db1 (MySQL and Postrgres Database)
- fs2 (Fileserver 2 - actively stays in sync with FS1 via DRBD (think Raid-1 over ethernet))
- ldap2 (Lightweight directory access protocol - Linux equivelant to Active Directory)
- mail2 (Exim Mail Server)
- mon1 (Monitor the systems status, report errors)
- ns1 (Name Server)
- www1 (Web Server)
- db2 (MySQL and Postrgres Database)
- fs1 (Fileserver 1 - actively stays in sync with FS2 via DRBD (think Raid-1 over ethernet))
- ldap1 (Lightweight directory access protocol - Linux equivelant to Active Directory)
- ltsp1 (Linux Terminal Server Project - services the Thin Clients)
- mail1 (Mail Server)
- ns2 (Name Server)
- pbx2 (Asterisk PBX Phone System, highly customized.. supports MANY cool things)
- www2 (Web Server)
The system is HIGHLY reliable, and when it detects an error, it self heals. I have learned a TON about this system, and how to maintain it so it doesn't break.
I made a deal with the call center owner that if it doesn't break, I just collect a paycheck and don't come to work, and that is exactly what I do.
Now, with this new build, I am changing all the things I learned from the first call center. I am perfecting the design, and making it even better and more reliable. I'm really excited for it.