Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Networking & Security › A few questions before I set this up.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

A few questions before I set this up.

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
OK, I just got a 2nd 80gb hdd that I plan to RAID0. This will be the only hdd space on my main gaming PC. I will have a 400gb on a 2nd PC that I will be using for storage. I am planning to access the 2nd hdd via my router.

Now, I plan on installing games and OS on the RAID drives and storing movies and music etc on the other PC. Will I have any issues with speeds doing this? Will I still be able to watch a movie on my gaming PC just as good as if it was in the hdd of that PC? What about music?

I guess my question is, how does accessing these types of file via a router compare to accessing them directly from a hdd? WIll the router work well enough or should I look into other options? I am planning to add hdd space and using the 2nd PC as a file server for media to share between 2 or 3 more PC's. The performance does not have to be outstanding, just enough so other will be able to watch a movie or listen to a song without issue.
Current
(3 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphics
i5 6600k MSI Z170-A Pro RX-480 
  hide details  
Reply
Current
(3 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphics
i5 6600k MSI Z170-A Pro RX-480 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 8
I have a NAS drive...Tried installing some games on it and it was choppy (halved framerate)
Movies and Music will be absolutely fine.
However In my case, there wasn't enogh bandwidth for intensive games (I tried rome:total war) I think it was fine for worms though.
Copying files across network is much slower (my NAS drive ran at about 3mb/s)
Its been so long since i've tried it though so my memory is rusty.
post #3 of 8
Thread Starter 
Well, most of my games will be installed on main PC's raid array, so the network would only be for media files and such.
Current
(3 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphics
i5 6600k MSI Z170-A Pro RX-480 
  hide details  
Reply
Current
(3 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphics
i5 6600k MSI Z170-A Pro RX-480 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 8
I run a home network similar to what you are proposing. I find that the transfer rates for most movies and media is just fine. No worries, go ahead and set it up.
SUGO Reborn
(8 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-2620M @ 2.7 GHz Sony laptop AMD Radeon HD 6630m + Intel HD Graphics (hybrid) 6 GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial M4 SSD 16x DVD+/-RW SuperDrive Windows 7 Professional x64 13.3" (1366x768) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Chiclet keyboard Sony laptop charger Black plastic Trackpad 
  hide details  
Reply
SUGO Reborn
(8 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-2620M @ 2.7 GHz Sony laptop AMD Radeon HD 6630m + Intel HD Graphics (hybrid) 6 GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial M4 SSD 16x DVD+/-RW SuperDrive Windows 7 Professional x64 13.3" (1366x768) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Chiclet keyboard Sony laptop charger Black plastic Trackpad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 8
Oh...I forgot to add...I can stream lossless across my network to my squeezebox with no problems, so movies and music will be fine.
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by dralb View Post
OK, I just got a 2nd 80gb hdd that I plan to RAID0. This will be the only hdd space on my main gaming PC. I will have a 400gb on a 2nd PC that I will be using for storage. I am planning to access the 2nd hdd via my router.

Now, I plan on installing games and OS on the RAID drives and storing movies and music etc on the other PC. Will I have any issues with speeds doing this? Will I still be able to watch a movie on my gaming PC just as good as if it was in the hdd of that PC? What about music?

I guess my question is, how does accessing these types of file via a router compare to accessing them directly from a hdd? WIll the router work well enough or should I look into other options? I am planning to add hdd space and using the 2nd PC as a file server for media to share between 2 or 3 more PC's. The performance does not have to be outstanding, just enough so other will be able to watch a movie or listen to a song without issue.

A 10\\100 network has enough throughput to stream 2 HD movies consecutively. For steaming regular DVD rips, music, etc you'll have 0 problems even if you were do this while gaming. Currently i have my servers HDD stuffed into an external enclosure and have it connected via USB and i have no problems streaming movies to the PC (usb is slower than ethernet). You'll be fine
Furian II
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Pheon X4 955 MSI 870A-G46 Saphire 4870 1GB GSkill Ripjaw 2x4 DDR3 1600 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Home - 32 kernel cracked for more RAM Spectre 32" Acer 22" Logitech G15 V1 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G9 Xact Mat 
  hide details  
Reply
Furian II
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Pheon X4 955 MSI 870A-G46 Saphire 4870 1GB GSkill Ripjaw 2x4 DDR3 1600 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Home - 32 kernel cracked for more RAM Spectre 32" Acer 22" Logitech G15 V1 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G9 Xact Mat 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeejunky View Post
I have a NAS drive...Tried installing some games on it and it was choppy (halved framerate)
Movies and Music will be absolutely fine.
However In my case, there wasn't enogh bandwidth for intensive games (I tried rome:total war) I think it was fine for worms though.
Copying files across network is much slower (my NAS drive ran at about 3mb/s)
Its been so long since i've tried it though so my memory is rusty.
Is that 3 MegaBytes?

I get about 30MegaBits on my NAS, it's some old cheap thing. I put the classic game Postal2 on there and it ran fine.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Overdrive 486DX4 100Mhz Digital Venturis 466 S3 Trio 32 1MB 68MB 72 Pin SIMMs 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1.2Gb & 270Mb 32X CD-ROM Windows 98 SE LG 23" Flatron 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft PS/2 Lite-On Digital Venturis 466 Logitech PS/2 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Overdrive 486DX4 100Mhz Digital Venturis 466 S3 Trio 32 1MB 68MB 72 Pin SIMMs 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1.2Gb & 270Mb 32X CD-ROM Windows 98 SE LG 23" Flatron 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft PS/2 Lite-On Digital Venturis 466 Logitech PS/2 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Is that 3 MegaBytes?

I get about 30MegaBits on my NAS, it's some old cheap thing. I put the classic game Postal2 on there and it ran fine.
Nope, I meant 3mb/s. Its a really old cheap NAS enclosure, On the side of the box it says max speed of 3mb/s too.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Networking & Security
Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Networking & Security › A few questions before I set this up.