Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD - General › where to start
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

where to start - Page 2

post #11 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holeyman View Post
The instability you are refering to is going to be something like os corruption correct?
Holeyman, thats correct. Data corruption and instability can occur more often if the bus is not locked. I had a look at your manual and the BIOS options are very limited.

Good luck
Workstation
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon II X4 620 Asus M4A785-M Asus 5770 G.Skill 8GB DDR2-800 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
WD3200AAJS Windows 7 Pro Acer AL2216W, Samsung P2770 Corsair 550VX 
Case
Tagan Black Pearl 
  hide details  
Reply
Workstation
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon II X4 620 Asus M4A785-M Asus 5770 G.Skill 8GB DDR2-800 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
WD3200AAJS Windows 7 Pro Acer AL2216W, Samsung P2770 Corsair 550VX 
Case
Tagan Black Pearl 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 32
Thread Starter 
The BIOS is very limited indeed.
I just finished the build on this system recently.
This mobo was the last one I could find new that would support AGP, DDR, and 939(last for AGP).
I bought the video card first to upgrade an older socket A system that I still have as a family pc.
I wanted to be able to play COD4 after that upgrade but the older system couldn't quite do it.
So I took out the AGP card and built this system around it.
I would have bought a PCI-e card if I known that I was going to be doing a new build.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 4400+ Toledo110W @2.45 ASROCK dual SATA2 Sapphire X1950Pro512 580/1404 OCZ 2 x 1gig EL2048 platinum 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 120G 7200 LiteOn DVDRW, LiteOn CDRW Windows XP SP2 Samsung 226BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
BTC (mini) Zumax ZU-500W UNK. Razer Tempest Blue Copperhead 
Mouse Pad
OLD Real Flight rc sim. 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 4400+ Toledo110W @2.45 ASROCK dual SATA2 Sapphire X1950Pro512 580/1404 OCZ 2 x 1gig EL2048 platinum 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 120G 7200 LiteOn DVDRW, LiteOn CDRW Windows XP SP2 Samsung 226BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
BTC (mini) Zumax ZU-500W UNK. Razer Tempest Blue Copperhead 
Mouse Pad
OLD Real Flight rc sim. 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holeyman View Post
The BIOS is very limited indeed.
I just finished the build on this system recently.
This mobo was the last one I could find new that would support AGP, DDR, and 939(last for AGP).
I bought the video card first to upgrade an older socket A system that I still have as a family pc.
I wanted to be able to play COD4 after that upgrade but the older system couldn't quite do it.
So I took out the AGP card and built this system around it.
I would have bought a PCI-e card if I known that I was going to be doing a new build.
Holeyman, 939 boards are very difficult to find now so I feel your pain. How is the COD4 performance? There were some 939 models that came with PCI-E but those are starting to become difficult to find too.

Good luck
Workstation
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon II X4 620 Asus M4A785-M Asus 5770 G.Skill 8GB DDR2-800 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
WD3200AAJS Windows 7 Pro Acer AL2216W, Samsung P2770 Corsair 550VX 
Case
Tagan Black Pearl 
  hide details  
Reply
Workstation
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon II X4 620 Asus M4A785-M Asus 5770 G.Skill 8GB DDR2-800 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
WD3200AAJS Windows 7 Pro Acer AL2216W, Samsung P2770 Corsair 550VX 
Case
Tagan Black Pearl 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 32
Thread Starter 
COD4 plays really well on my system. 90+ FPS, I do turn some settings down but mostly because they can be distracting.
I had been finishing with really nice K>D ratios last night and again today after the OC.
I was playing tonight and there were a few times that it seemed like a new type of lag/freezing.
The trouble concerned me so I switched back to 200 FSB and 2.7V on the RAM. I didn't see any glitches after that while gaming. It might have been from the server I was playing on, it gets very full. I kept playing on the same server after resetting to help troubleshoot the problem but it didn't happen again.

I thought it was best to play it safe, reset it, watch for another occurance of the freezing at standard settings and try the OC again later.

I've been watching eBay for 939 solutions, I just haven't seen the right mobo yet. In the meantime, I will start fooling around with the family pc (my old one) to gain more OC'ing experience, just without as much risk.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 4400+ Toledo110W @2.45 ASROCK dual SATA2 Sapphire X1950Pro512 580/1404 OCZ 2 x 1gig EL2048 platinum 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 120G 7200 LiteOn DVDRW, LiteOn CDRW Windows XP SP2 Samsung 226BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
BTC (mini) Zumax ZU-500W UNK. Razer Tempest Blue Copperhead 
Mouse Pad
OLD Real Flight rc sim. 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 4400+ Toledo110W @2.45 ASROCK dual SATA2 Sapphire X1950Pro512 580/1404 OCZ 2 x 1gig EL2048 platinum 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 120G 7200 LiteOn DVDRW, LiteOn CDRW Windows XP SP2 Samsung 226BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
BTC (mini) Zumax ZU-500W UNK. Razer Tempest Blue Copperhead 
Mouse Pad
OLD Real Flight rc sim. 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 32
what price range are you looking at?
post #16 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holeyman View Post
COD4 plays really well on my system. 90+ FPS, I do turn some settings down but mostly because they can be distracting.
I had been finishing with really nice K>D ratios last night and again today after the OC.
I was playing tonight and there were a few times that it seemed like a new type of lag/freezing.
The trouble concerned me so I switched back to 200 FSB and 2.7V on the RAM. I didn't see any glitches after that while gaming. It might have been from the server I was playing on, it gets very full. I kept playing on the same server after resetting to help troubleshoot the problem but it didn't happen again.

I thought it was best to play it safe, reset it, watch for another occurance of the freezing at standard settings and try the OC again later.

I've been watching eBay for 939 solutions, I just haven't seen the right mobo yet. In the meantime, I will start fooling around with the family pc (my old one) to gain more OC'ing experience, just without as much risk.
Holeyman, make sure your OC is Orthos stable for at least 5-6 hours. I recommend running the Blend test at Priority 9. Keep an eye on your temperatures! I would make sure it's stable first before playing games are doing any other work on your machine. You don't want an unstable OC causing data corruption

Good luck
Workstation
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon II X4 620 Asus M4A785-M Asus 5770 G.Skill 8GB DDR2-800 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
WD3200AAJS Windows 7 Pro Acer AL2216W, Samsung P2770 Corsair 550VX 
Case
Tagan Black Pearl 
  hide details  
Reply
Workstation
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon II X4 620 Asus M4A785-M Asus 5770 G.Skill 8GB DDR2-800 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
WD3200AAJS Windows 7 Pro Acer AL2216W, Samsung P2770 Corsair 550VX 
Case
Tagan Black Pearl 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 32
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobdown View Post
what price range are you looking at?
Just checked again,

I tried to get one of these 3 months ago with no luck. This is the right price for me. Unfortunately, I just bought a model plane today and can't justify spending more right now.
http://cgi.ebay.com/AMD-ATHLON-64-X2...QQcmdZViewItem

This one seems overpriced (too much for me) and it looks like another VIA chipset although the pro version may have more OC capability.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Asus-A8V-Deluxe-...QQcmdZViewItem

Another month or two and I will probably pick up a new mobo. In the meantime, I will build more skills with the other pc. It should be a little better OC'r, it has a shuttle mobo, Athlon 3200+, 1gig of Mushkin ddr400. I will take what I have learned from you guys and give that one a try.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 4400+ Toledo110W @2.45 ASROCK dual SATA2 Sapphire X1950Pro512 580/1404 OCZ 2 x 1gig EL2048 platinum 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 120G 7200 LiteOn DVDRW, LiteOn CDRW Windows XP SP2 Samsung 226BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
BTC (mini) Zumax ZU-500W UNK. Razer Tempest Blue Copperhead 
Mouse Pad
OLD Real Flight rc sim. 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 4400+ Toledo110W @2.45 ASROCK dual SATA2 Sapphire X1950Pro512 580/1404 OCZ 2 x 1gig EL2048 platinum 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 120G 7200 LiteOn DVDRW, LiteOn CDRW Windows XP SP2 Samsung 226BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
BTC (mini) Zumax ZU-500W UNK. Razer Tempest Blue Copperhead 
Mouse Pad
OLD Real Flight rc sim. 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 32
Thread Starter 
Thlnk3r,
I'll move the FSB back up to 220 and the RAM to 2.8 tonight and then run the blend on priority 9. Thanks for the advice. Assuming it will be stable for 5 hours, should I then make 5 MHz moves (2 moves) to find the max FSB or do it in smaller increments?
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 4400+ Toledo110W @2.45 ASROCK dual SATA2 Sapphire X1950Pro512 580/1404 OCZ 2 x 1gig EL2048 platinum 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 120G 7200 LiteOn DVDRW, LiteOn CDRW Windows XP SP2 Samsung 226BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
BTC (mini) Zumax ZU-500W UNK. Razer Tempest Blue Copperhead 
Mouse Pad
OLD Real Flight rc sim. 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 4400+ Toledo110W @2.45 ASROCK dual SATA2 Sapphire X1950Pro512 580/1404 OCZ 2 x 1gig EL2048 platinum 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 120G 7200 LiteOn DVDRW, LiteOn CDRW Windows XP SP2 Samsung 226BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
BTC (mini) Zumax ZU-500W UNK. Razer Tempest Blue Copperhead 
Mouse Pad
OLD Real Flight rc sim. 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holeyman View Post
Thlnk3r,
I'll move the FSB back up to 220 and the RAM to 2.8 tonight and then run the blend on priority 9. Thanks for the advice. Assuming it will be stable for 5 hours, should I then make 5 MHz moves (2 moves) to find the max FSB or do it in smaller increments?
Holey, I think 5-10mhz increments in HTT would be the safest route. You might even want to just stick with 5mhz increments for now.

Let us know how the Orthos stability test goes

Good luck
Workstation
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon II X4 620 Asus M4A785-M Asus 5770 G.Skill 8GB DDR2-800 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
WD3200AAJS Windows 7 Pro Acer AL2216W, Samsung P2770 Corsair 550VX 
Case
Tagan Black Pearl 
  hide details  
Reply
Workstation
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon II X4 620 Asus M4A785-M Asus 5770 G.Skill 8GB DDR2-800 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
WD3200AAJS Windows 7 Pro Acer AL2216W, Samsung P2770 Corsair 550VX 
Case
Tagan Black Pearl 
  hide details  
Reply
post #20 of 32
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by thlnk3r View Post
Holey, I think 5-10mhz increments in HTT would be the safest route. You might even want to just stick with 5mhz increments for now.

Let us know how the Orthos stability test goes

Good luck
Slow and steady it is then, I will check back.
I will start with 210, I think it will be ok there.
5 hours with no games......I think I can, I think I can......
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 4400+ Toledo110W @2.45 ASROCK dual SATA2 Sapphire X1950Pro512 580/1404 OCZ 2 x 1gig EL2048 platinum 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 120G 7200 LiteOn DVDRW, LiteOn CDRW Windows XP SP2 Samsung 226BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
BTC (mini) Zumax ZU-500W UNK. Razer Tempest Blue Copperhead 
Mouse Pad
OLD Real Flight rc sim. 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 4400+ Toledo110W @2.45 ASROCK dual SATA2 Sapphire X1950Pro512 580/1404 OCZ 2 x 1gig EL2048 platinum 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 120G 7200 LiteOn DVDRW, LiteOn CDRW Windows XP SP2 Samsung 226BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
BTC (mini) Zumax ZU-500W UNK. Razer Tempest Blue Copperhead 
Mouse Pad
OLD Real Flight rc sim. 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD - General
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD - General › where to start