Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › SATA vs SATAII?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

SATA vs SATAII? - Page 4

post #31 of 50
It was never meant to be called SATA II.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
SATA II Misnomer

The 3.0 Gbit/s specification has been widely referred to as "Serial ATA II" ("SATA II" or "SATA2"), contrary to the wishes of the Serial ATA International Organization (SATA-IO) which defines the standard. SATA II was originally the name of a committee defining updated SATA standards, of which the 3 Gb/s standard was just one. However since it was among the most prominent features defined by the former SATA II committee, the name SATA II became synonymous with the 3 Gb/s standard, so the group has since changed names to the Serial ATA International Organization, or SATA-IO, to avoid further confusion.
Full Wiki article

So, how about SATA 1.5 and SATA 3.0? I'm sorry. I'm wasting your time. But show some love.


I'm glad this thread exists. I learned a few valuable things from it. They won't affect my purchases, but these things I learned will change my perspective a little!
post #32 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleccord View Post
Which is...?
WD Raptor
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2500k Asus P8P67 Galaxy GTX580 8GB G Skill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel 80 gb SSD, Raptor 150 Windows 7 Home Premium 24" Samsung LCD Saitek Eclipse 
PowerCaseMouse
PCP&C 750W Antec P180 Logitech MX-510 blue 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2500k Asus P8P67 Galaxy GTX580 8GB G Skill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel 80 gb SSD, Raptor 150 Windows 7 Home Premium 24" Samsung LCD Saitek Eclipse 
PowerCaseMouse
PCP&C 750W Antec P180 Logitech MX-510 blue 
  hide details  
Reply
post #33 of 50
If you look on the top of you HD, it should say whether it's SATA3 or SATA1.5
post #34 of 50
hmm, people could find this a little bit misdleading, in the fact that you will never see a SATA2 seagate 'cuda or WD caviar ( or any other 7.2k device) beat a SATA wd raptor.

i have been told by a friend who does reviews for anandtech that sata2 will never move more than 90-100 mB/s (dont know in burst though) therefore investing in one of these drives is pointless compared to investing in a raptor, which at 10k rpm will move the whole 150mB/s SATA limitation

just my 1 pence, or 2 cents
Biskit Bake
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E2140 @ 3.0 [375x8] M0 DFI BloodIron P35-T2RL Evga 8800gt 4gb Gskill PK pc2-6400 @ 900mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD740ADFD - 74gb Raptor, WD6400AAKS 2 x Optiarc AD-7191S 20X DVD±RW Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit 22" Acer P223W @ 1680 x 1050 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Pc Power & Cooling Silencer 610 EPS12V Coolermaster CM690 Dominator Razer Copperhead - Chaos Green 
Mouse Pad
Razer eXactmat 
  hide details  
Reply
Biskit Bake
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E2140 @ 3.0 [375x8] M0 DFI BloodIron P35-T2RL Evga 8800gt 4gb Gskill PK pc2-6400 @ 900mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD740ADFD - 74gb Raptor, WD6400AAKS 2 x Optiarc AD-7191S 20X DVD±RW Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit 22" Acer P223W @ 1680 x 1050 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Pc Power & Cooling Silencer 610 EPS12V Coolermaster CM690 Dominator Razer Copperhead - Chaos Green 
Mouse Pad
Razer eXactmat 
  hide details  
Reply
post #35 of 50
Thread Starter 
Here are my results from HDTach. Does everything seem normal? With the graph, it lowers as it moves to the right. Does this mean the read speed of the HDD at that particular section of the HDD?

Chillin
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X4 945 GA-MA770-UD3 X1950 Pro 256MB 2x1GB Kingston HyperX 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 Windows XP 19" Acer OCZ ModExtreme 600W 
CaseMouse
Antec P182 Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
Chillin
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X4 945 GA-MA770-UD3 X1950 Pro 256MB 2x1GB Kingston HyperX 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 Windows XP 19" Acer OCZ ModExtreme 600W 
CaseMouse
Antec P182 Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #36 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biskitz View Post
hmm, people could find this a little bit misdleading, in the fact that you will never see a SATA2 seagate 'cuda or WD caviar ( or any other 7.2k device) beat a SATA wd raptor.

i have been told by a friend who does reviews for anandtech that sata2 will never move more than 90-100 mB/s (dont know in burst though) therefore investing in one of these drives is pointless compared to investing in a raptor, which at 10k rpm will move the whole 150mB/s SATA limitation

just my 1 pence, or 2 cents
The transfer speed on the Raptor is higher because it is a faster spinning drive, however, there are very few instances where you can actually take advantage of that speed.
post #37 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianGrimmReaper View Post
The transfer speed on the Raptor is higher because it is a faster spinning drive, however, there are very few instances where you can actually take advantage of that speed.
platter spin speed is directly proportional to access times. How on Earth can you claim that the speed of a Raptor is rarely used? Look at application performance!
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2500k Asus P8P67 Galaxy GTX580 8GB G Skill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel 80 gb SSD, Raptor 150 Windows 7 Home Premium 24" Samsung LCD Saitek Eclipse 
PowerCaseMouse
PCP&C 750W Antec P180 Logitech MX-510 blue 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2500k Asus P8P67 Galaxy GTX580 8GB G Skill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel 80 gb SSD, Raptor 150 Windows 7 Home Premium 24" Samsung LCD Saitek Eclipse 
PowerCaseMouse
PCP&C 750W Antec P180 Logitech MX-510 blue 
  hide details  
Reply
post #38 of 50
This was a fun read
Well, at least his MB and HDD supports SATA3
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X4 965 ASUS M4A79 Deluxe 9800GTx2 2x2G OCZ Reapers 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
500G WD Black LiteOn CD/DVD R/W Win7 64 22'' ws Acer AL2223W 
KeyboardPowerMouse
MS KU462 Natural SS DA750 MS 5 button 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X4 965 ASUS M4A79 Deluxe 9800GTx2 2x2G OCZ Reapers 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
500G WD Black LiteOn CD/DVD R/W Win7 64 22'' ws Acer AL2223W 
KeyboardPowerMouse
MS KU462 Natural SS DA750 MS 5 button 
  hide details  
Reply
post #39 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyHerc View Post
Here are my results from HDTach. Does everything seem normal? With the graph, it lowers as it moves to the right. Does this mean the read speed of the HDD at that particular section of the HDD?
Here is my Seagate 7200.10 320 gig single drive:



And as a comparison of the benefits of Raid 0, here are my other 2 identical drives in Raid 0 with 128k stripe:

post #40 of 50
Thread Starter 
Thanks CravinR1, looks like our single drives are about the same. And wow, RAID is looking pretty sweet.
Chillin
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X4 945 GA-MA770-UD3 X1950 Pro 256MB 2x1GB Kingston HyperX 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 Windows XP 19" Acer OCZ ModExtreme 600W 
CaseMouse
Antec P182 Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
Chillin
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X4 945 GA-MA770-UD3 X1950 Pro 256MB 2x1GB Kingston HyperX 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 Windows XP 19" Acer OCZ ModExtreme 600W 
CaseMouse
Antec P182 Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hard Drives & Storage
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › SATA vs SATAII?