Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Linux, Unix › Linux Partition in Vista 32bit
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Linux Partition in Vista 32bit

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
How would i go about doing this? I know i have to allot some space in my hd to do so, how much should i partition?
I have about 187gb left on my hard drive and im running Vista 32bit premium.

I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to linux, should i use Ubuntu? Should i go 64 bit?

I could use some help going through this whole process.

Im gonna have it run on my sig rig.
Laptop Goodness
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 T5450 1.67ghz PM965 8800m GTS 512mb 4gb PC5300 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
250gb WD Scorpio DVD+/-RW/DL/RAM Drive Vista Premium 32bit 17" 1440x900 
PowerCase
AC Adaptor Sexy 
  hide details  
Reply
Laptop Goodness
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 T5450 1.67ghz PM965 8800m GTS 512mb 4gb PC5300 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
250gb WD Scorpio DVD+/-RW/DL/RAM Drive Vista Premium 32bit 17" 1440x900 
PowerCase
AC Adaptor Sexy 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 7
Dual Boot Ubuntu and Windows:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot

you don't need a lot of space on a new partition, i'd probably give it 5~10 gigs if you're not planning on running out of space on your windows partition. it sure is a worthwhile experience to at least mess around with Linux.
FIFTH
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2011-v3 X99 GTX 970 DDR4-2400 
KeyboardMouse
Filco Majestouch w/ Cherry MX Blue Razer Diamondback 
  hide details  
Reply
FIFTH
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2011-v3 X99 GTX 970 DDR4-2400 
KeyboardMouse
Filco Majestouch w/ Cherry MX Blue Razer Diamondback 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 7
Thread Starter 
Nevermind guys, I ended up figuring it out. Im using Ubuntu 7.10 right now and IM LOVING IT!
Everythings so smooth, my computer feels so much faster. It's only using 200-350mb of my ram now compared to Vista which used from 800mb-1.2gb!

The only thing i regret is waiting this long to jump on the Linux bandwagon.


Laptop Goodness
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 T5450 1.67ghz PM965 8800m GTS 512mb 4gb PC5300 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
250gb WD Scorpio DVD+/-RW/DL/RAM Drive Vista Premium 32bit 17" 1440x900 
PowerCase
AC Adaptor Sexy 
  hide details  
Reply
Laptop Goodness
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 T5450 1.67ghz PM965 8800m GTS 512mb 4gb PC5300 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
250gb WD Scorpio DVD+/-RW/DL/RAM Drive Vista Premium 32bit 17" 1440x900 
PowerCase
AC Adaptor Sexy 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BxAlbo1 View Post
Nevermind guys, I ended up figuring it out. Im using Ubuntu 7.10 right now and IM LOVING IT!
Everythings so smooth, my computer feels so much faster. It's only using 200-350mb of my ram now compared to Vista which used from 800mb-1.2gb!

The only thing i regret is waiting this long to jump on the Linux bandwagon.


Well please know that the "high RAM usage" in vista is mostly due to the pre-fetching feature, where it will open your most-used programs in the background. This is so that you won't have to wait for things to load when you finally decide to click on them.

However, I agree. Linux is very fast for desktop use and uses minimal resources to do excellent work. And if you like, you can spice things up with Compiz-Fusion, and enjoy desktop special effects without your system hyperventilating on you.
post #5 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hundred Gunner View Post
Well please know that the "high RAM usage" in vista is mostly due to the pre-fetching feature, where it will open your most-used programs in the background. This is so that you won't have to wait for things to load when you finally decide to click on them.

However, I agree. Linux is very fast for desktop use and uses minimal resources to do excellent work. And if you like, you can spice things up with Compiz-Fusion, and enjoy desktop special effects without your system hyperventilating on you.

Haha thanks for the tips. I already got compiz fusion and its awesome, everthings so...wobbly .
Im surprised at how well im adapting to this new os, especially since this is my first time running Ubuntu. I just got it running today and im already starting to feel comfortable with it.

Right now im tinkering with WIne and trying to figure out how it works lol.


Also, is there any way i can read the files of my old vista partition? I have a lot of media files and such and i wanted to know if there was a way for me to access them. So far when i try to access the vista partition through Ubuntu it says "Cannot Mount Volume". Any workaround for this?
Laptop Goodness
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 T5450 1.67ghz PM965 8800m GTS 512mb 4gb PC5300 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
250gb WD Scorpio DVD+/-RW/DL/RAM Drive Vista Premium 32bit 17" 1440x900 
PowerCase
AC Adaptor Sexy 
  hide details  
Reply
Laptop Goodness
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 T5450 1.67ghz PM965 8800m GTS 512mb 4gb PC5300 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
250gb WD Scorpio DVD+/-RW/DL/RAM Drive Vista Premium 32bit 17" 1440x900 
PowerCase
AC Adaptor Sexy 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BxAlbo1 View Post
Right now im tinkering with WIne and trying to figure out how it works lol.
Wine basically works by using the command "wine" and then the .exe's name as your argument. There is a folder in your /home/<username> (aka ~) directory called ".wine". The period before the folder name signifies that it is hidden. Inside the .wine folder is a folder called drive_c, and this is what the wine emulator sees as your C: drive. As expected, Program Files and windows and Documents and Settings folders are located here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BxAlbo1 View Post
Also, is there any way i can read the files of my old vista partition? I have a lot of media files and such and i wanted to know if there was a way for me to access them. So far when i try to access the vista partition through Ubuntu it says "Cannot Mount Volume". Any workaround for this?
There is a way Linux can read to NTFS, but I don't think it can write to it. I don't know the process. There might even be something you can do to write to NTFS, too.
post #7 of 7
Thread Starter 
http://www.ntfs-3g.org/

Ubuntu 7.10 allows for read and write on NTFS using that program, havent tried it yet as i just recovered Vista using my HP recovery CD(bastards wouldnt give me a Vista OEM disk), now im having trouble getting to the Ubuntu boot screen. If its even still installed ( i still have the separate partition i made for ubuntu).

Thanks for the info on Wine!


EDIT: got ubuntu up and running again, also ntfs3g is working so far.
Laptop Goodness
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 T5450 1.67ghz PM965 8800m GTS 512mb 4gb PC5300 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
250gb WD Scorpio DVD+/-RW/DL/RAM Drive Vista Premium 32bit 17" 1440x900 
PowerCase
AC Adaptor Sexy 
  hide details  
Reply
Laptop Goodness
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 T5450 1.67ghz PM965 8800m GTS 512mb 4gb PC5300 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
250gb WD Scorpio DVD+/-RW/DL/RAM Drive Vista Premium 32bit 17" 1440x900 
PowerCase
AC Adaptor Sexy 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Linux, Unix
Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Linux, Unix › Linux Partition in Vista 32bit