Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › Virgin Builder wants to build a Dual Socket ?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Virgin Builder wants to build a Dual Socket ?

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
Hi Guys

The level of knowledge in this forum looks like its very high. except for maybe this thread that i am adding : )


So anyway as the title say i would like to build a dual socket system for use as primarily a Rendering Machine, 3D CAD (SOLIDWORKS), and 2D cad Photo shop , illustrator.

The reason for dual socket is the rendering program I use enables multi(thread) (cores) use.. more threads quicker your done ....

I need everything from start to finish except monitors.

Here is the current list of benchmarks for other peoples systems

http://www.benchwell.com/

I was looking to build a dual xeon e5420 rig, stable and as affordable as possible. regular board no skulltrail , 1 raptor HD for now, 4 gig of ram, power supply, and a medium to entry level quadro...

The reason I went for the E5420 is it is priced well .. i think and it bechmarked very well here...# 3 better that all the others on the previous link I posted.


http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

I put a list together from another thread and it came around 2300 with almost everything...... this was getting kind of close to the price of a Power mac.. which i dont realy want

could you guys maybe put a build list together of something you would consider to be reliable and priced well.. I dont think i want to overclock...

Thanks so much in advance..

Mr G
post #2 of 18
just a question... are u stuck on intel? because just maybe you could get a little better deal on AMD products

Quad Core AMD 2.3GHZ

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103244

that's 100 cheaper should be just as fast or close

Mobo ASUS

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131593
post #3 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniTuckin View Post
just a question... are u stuck on intel? because just maybe you could get a little better deal on AMD products

Quad Core AMD 2.3GHZ

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103244

that's 100 cheaper should be just as fast or close

Mobo ASUS

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131593

is that a dual socket board ?


i really want 8 cores..... actualy I want a million cores but I am waiting for that right now
post #4 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniTuckin View Post
just a question... are u stuck on intel? because just maybe you could get a little better deal on AMD products

Quad Core AMD 2.3GHZ

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103244

that's 100 cheaper should be just as fast or close

Mobo ASUS

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131593


That's not worth the price, The Quad core 6600 is selling at microcenter.com for 200 dollars. do that instead man.
post #5 of 18
You say you don't want Skulltrail.. I thought Skulltrail was the first daul socket board? I don't see how else you're gonna get two CPUs on a board, but I'm a n00b so...
Chillin
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X4 945 GA-MA770-UD3 X1950 Pro 256MB 2x1GB Kingston HyperX 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 Windows XP 19" Acer OCZ ModExtreme 600W 
CaseMouse
Antec P182 Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
Chillin
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X4 945 GA-MA770-UD3 X1950 Pro 256MB 2x1GB Kingston HyperX 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 Windows XP 19" Acer OCZ ModExtreme 600W 
CaseMouse
Antec P182 Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 18
forgot about the q6600... so basically that would be the best bang for the buck at the moment
post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniTuckin View Post
forgot about the q6600... so basically that would be the best bang for the buck at the moment
VERY...... If i had the dough I'd buy it, I'm living on nickel and dimes right now just to fill my gas tank All cause my dang cat had a tumor...
post #8 of 18
Ok, you can go either way Intel or AMD. You'll not be overclocking this monster (I just don't advise it), so Intel vs. AMD is largely a matter of which fits into your budget better.

The only place to get quad core AMD server processors is ebay, until they choose to reintroduce the Barcelonas. Be prepared to spend $300-500 each on entry level processors, and $300 on a motherboard because server stuff doesn't run cheap.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon E5645 Asus Rampage II Gene eVGA GTX460 SSC 3x4GB Corsair Dominator PC3-12800 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOS
Crucial C300 64GB Seagate Momentus XT 750 Western Digital GP 2TB EARS Windows 7 Premium 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus VE278Q DSI SMK-88 Seasonic X-660 Lian Li U6B 2011 SE 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G500 KAI.g3 HIEN - HARD 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon E5645 Asus Rampage II Gene eVGA GTX460 SSC 3x4GB Corsair Dominator PC3-12800 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOS
Crucial C300 64GB Seagate Momentus XT 750 Western Digital GP 2TB EARS Windows 7 Premium 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus VE278Q DSI SMK-88 Seasonic X-660 Lian Li U6B 2011 SE 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G500 KAI.g3 HIEN - HARD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyHerc View Post
You say you don't want Skulltrail.. I thought Skulltrail was the first daul socket board? I don't see how else you're gonna get two CPUs on a board, but I'm a n00b so...
The "first" dual socket board... It's a marketing thing... Dual socket has existed in the server realm for ages though... Since it's a rendering machine, a server board would be best. They're just expensive. A nice dual quad core is going to be around the 2 thousand mark at least...
ThinkBox
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 G0 Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L Rev 2.0 EVGA 8800GTS 512MB Crucial Ballistix 2x1GB 1066 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
150GB RaptorX, 500GB WD SATA Kubuntu/Vista Olevia 37" HDTV SilverStone Decathlon 850W 
Case
Raidmax Katana 
  hide details  
Reply
ThinkBox
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 G0 Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L Rev 2.0 EVGA 8800GTS 512MB Crucial Ballistix 2x1GB 1066 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
150GB RaptorX, 500GB WD SATA Kubuntu/Vista Olevia 37" HDTV SilverStone Decathlon 850W 
Case
Raidmax Katana 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniTuckin View Post
just a question... are u stuck on intel? because just maybe you could get a little better deal on AMD products

Quad Core AMD 2.3GHZ

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103244

that's 100 cheaper should be just as fast or close

Mobo ASUS

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131593
He asked for a dual socket board.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel E6750 @ 3.4Ghz Evga 680i Sli Se Evga 8800GT SSC Mushkin 2Gig 800 @ 1000mhz 5-5-5-11 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate 500GB 7200.11 + Seagate Barracuda 250GB Samsung SHS203B Win 7 Samsung 22Inch 226BW 
PowerCaseMouse
Kingwin 600 Watt Modular Antec 900 Mx518 Optical 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel E6750 @ 3.4Ghz Evga 680i Sli Se Evga 8800GT SSC Mushkin 2Gig 800 @ 1000mhz 5-5-5-11 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate 500GB 7200.11 + Seagate Barracuda 250GB Samsung SHS203B Win 7 Samsung 22Inch 226BW 
PowerCaseMouse
Kingwin 600 Watt Modular Antec 900 Mx518 Optical 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › Virgin Builder wants to build a Dual Socket ?