Overclock.net banner

need advice on my OC Voltages..

553 views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  CL3P20 
#1 ·
Hi all.

I'd very much appreciate a little advice on my newly-achieved (and so far stable) overclock on Umbra, my signature rig (and only rig) - its voltages to be precise.

The latest change is running my Ballistix memory (4x1GB DDR2 PC28500) @ 1200MHz with timings of 5-4-4-12:

And my CPU, a QX6700 clocked @ 3.6GHz and a FSB of 1600MHz:

Now, the only thing i need advice on is the voltages - for the Memory, chipset (The Intel® P965 Express) and CPU, here are my BIOS settings:

CPU Vcore: 1.5875v and will be pushed to 1.6v should it not stay stable at its oc. VDroop causes it to be 1.5v idle, 1.48v load.

FSB Termination Voltage: 1.450v

NB vcore: 1.375v

Memory voltages: 2.3v

SB vcore: 1.65v

SB Chipset 1.125v

I'm very grateful for any help given. +rep to all who do so.

Thanks

See less See more
#3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by markt View Post
Your voltages look a little high on vcore.how are the temps.On mine when I got near 1.5v temps rise very quickly past 1.45v.other than that looks good to me.
Well under my previous overclock (3.55GHz 1.48v) my temps were terrible - Flight simulator x easily got its temps to 75C (and its a watercooled system)

Purchasing higher CFM fans for my rad has helped alot, reducing by over 10C.

so i decided to push that overclock a little further to 3.6GHz and so far so good. load temps have yet to peak 70C under as much load as possible. but as soon as it does my OC will be halted, or brought down.

#4 ·
If you can find a vdroop mod , it would cure all probably.My p5ne sli aftter mod showed the same volts. I put in bios. my p5ke vmod actually lowered my volts and made unstable,so I had to reverse that one.But i can get to 3.8 with this stable but alittle too hot[aircooled]so im at 3.6 w/p5ke

#6 ·
hm.

i just got a BSOD while playing stalker...

Vista suspected it was the RAM, and so do i - my CPU overclock is probably as stable it'll get.

I just upped RAM voltages to 2.3v and i'm very reluctant to take it any higher than that. if it fails i'll just have to step down the MHz (underclock it) and tighten the CAS# to 4 from 5 (if i try setting it to 4 RAM on current OC it wont let Umbra post)

here's another pic for you CL3P20:

#7 ·
ohwiegooie!!

Ok, good news for you.. rev C2 965 in the house! [I'll explain later]

First- Back off on your RAMv immediately. I have been doing som digging after my Ballistix 1066's just up and died over last weekend. Apparently, most of the IC's in the Ballistix series [800mhz and up anyhow] do not respond well or at all over 2.3v and often die suddenly or "fade" in stability over time at 2.25v even. My trimmer for vDIMM was set for 2.21v on load and RAM was running 1101mhz, 5-5-5-15...the set lasted for ~2 months.... so be careful. My suggestion to you, is stick with a lower speed that requires less voltage and tune your timings tighter to compensate for any loss in speed.

.. now for some 965 voltages, by CL3P20:

for NBv or MCHv, 1.45v is enough to stabilize most systems at 400mhz FSB- using 2gb's of RAM, with a lowered cpu multi. If you have lowered your cpu multi more than twice to achieve 400FSB chances are your NB will need more voltage to compensate with the jump in speed [ea. time you lower the cpu multi you raise the NB speed, above the FSB by ~45mhz]. If you are running 400-450mhz FSB, bump to 1.55v... 450-500mhz FSB, bump to 1.65v ... i think your C2 rev mobo has a BIOS option for 1.70v er' something..your gonna need it [or a mod] to run stable much over 500mhz FSB.

If you have more than 2gb's of RAM I suggest finding an optimal range for your CPU/mobo before attempting to OC all 4gb's. You are going to need additional NB/MCHv, to compensate for the added stress on the NB. Always test first...if your cooling on the chipset is good, you might hold it stable without a voltage bump.

FSBv-

From what I understand, this voltage is linked to the GTLv and PLLv for 965 mobo's. Increasing this should be done as a last resort, when other settings fail to bring stability, or if a system fails to POST.
FSB - FSBv
266-333 = 1.25v
333-425 = 1.35v [rev# C1 965 mobo's will have a strap reset @ 401mhz...the increase in latency can allow them to remain stable above 400mhz longer then rev# C2]
400-500 = 1.45v ...be prepared for a warm mobo..extra 'sinks, good airflow etc.

SBv-

For SBv, follow the FSB points from the chart above, and increase your SBv accordingly. If you are running a high PCI-E clock [~110mhz or higher], you will need to add a bit of additional SBv as well.

..hope that is a help. I am sure I will remember some more as soon as I hit 'Post'

#8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by CL3P20 View Post
ohwiegooie!!

First- Back off on your RAMv immediately. I have been doing som digging after my Ballistix 1066's just up and died over last weekend. Apparently, most of the IC's in the Ballistix series [800mhz and up anyhow] do not respond well or at all over 2.3v and often die suddenly or "fade" in stability over time at 2.25v even. My trimmer for vDIMM was set for 2.21v on load and RAM was running 1101mhz, 5-5-5-15...the set lasted for ~2 months.... so be careful. My suggestion to you, is stick with a lower speed that requires less voltage and tune your timings tighter to compensate for any loss in speed.

.. now for some 965 voltages, by CL3P20:

for NBv or MCHv, 1.45v is enough to stabilize most systems at 400mhz FSB- using 2gb's of RAM, with a lowered cpu multi. If you have lowered your cpu multi more than twice to achieve 400FSB chances are your NB will need more voltage to compensate with the jump in speed [ea. time you lower the cpu multi you raise the NB speed, above the FSB by ~45mhz]. If you are running 400-450mhz FSB, bump to 1.55v... 450-500mhz FSB, bump to 1.65v ... i think your C2 rev mobo has a BIOS option for 1.70v er' something..your gonna need it [or a mod] to run stable much over 500mhz FSB.

If you have more than 2gb's of RAM I suggest finding an optimal range for your CPU/mobo before attempting to OC all 4gb's. You are going to need additional NB/MCHv, to compensate for the added stress on the NB. Always test first...if your cooling on the chipset is good, you might hold it stable without a voltage bump.

FSBv-

From what I understand, this voltage is linked to the GTLv and PLLv for 965 mobo's. Increasing this should be done as a last resort, when other settings fail to bring stability, or if a system fails to POST.
FSB - FSBv
266-333 = 1.25v
333-425 = 1.35v [rev# C1 965 mobo's will have a strap reset @ 401mhz...the increase in latency can allow them to remain stable above 400mhz longer then rev# C2]
400-500 = 1.45v ...be prepared for a warm mobo..extra 'sinks, good airflow etc.

SBv-

For SBv, follow the FSB points from the chart above, and increase your SBv accordingly. If you are running a high PCI-E clock [~110mhz or higher], you will need to add a bit of additional SBv as well.

..hope that is a help. I am sure I will remember some more as soon as I hit 'Post'

Thanks alot for all of this

well, so far i just can't get that memory to run at 1200MHz stable. so now ive brought it down to 1000MHz, with voltages of 2.225v...but i just cant get that CAS# timing to 4. which is strange because its been able to run at 4-4-4-12 at 1065 MHz...i guess its due to my CPU's FSB of 400MHz

Anyway, i'll take your advice about the chipset - that was my main concern. thanks

Oh, and i lowered the CPU multiplier by one. running a x9

#9 ·
As far as the cas4->5 thing goes..my guess is its the RAM divider that is not allowing you to stabilize at cas4. Its a funny thing with some of the Asus mobo's. Not to mention, the 965 chipset only truly supports ddr2 800, above and your really OC'ing the NB.

To get around it, you would need to either run cas5 at your current divider, or attempt to run 1:1, as then the chipset wouldnt be soo finicky on your latency setting.

#10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by CL3P20 View Post
ohwiegooie!!

i presume mobo manufacturer's manufacture different revisions of particular mobo's, the higher the # the better?.

Please enlighten me ^.^.

#11 ·
Rev C1 965p chipsets have a NB latency strap at 401mhz. This raises latency [ie- going from cas4->5] for the NB to allow, OC'ing farther. The only issue is that the reset is sooo drastic, that you have to raise the FSB to nearly 460mhz just to get back to the ~performance level you were at before, at 400mhz FSB. This generally sucks, as these chipsets are based to run on 800mhz RAM, so no divider options are available for anything other than a 1:1, once you pass 450mhz FSB.

Rev C2 965p chipsets, lock the 1066 strap for the NB and continue to scale as FSB rises. This gives similar FSB latency results to a P35 mobo..as the latency is the same from 333mhz and up. They also are known for running stable into the 550mhz FSB range, with good NB cooling..where as most all C1's top out just under 500mhz FSB.

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by CL3P20
View Post

Rev C1 965p chipsets have a NB latency strap at 401mhz. This raises latency [ie- going from cas4->5] for the NB to allow, OC'ing farther. The only issue is that the reset is sooo drastic, that you have to raise the FSB to nearly 460mhz just to get back to the ~performance level you were at before, at 400mhz FSB. This generally sucks, as these chipsets are based to run on 800mhz RAM, so no divider options are available for anything other than a 1:1, once you pass 450mhz FSB.

Rev C2 965p chipsets, lock the 1066 strap for the NB and continue to scale as FSB rises. This gives similar FSB latency results to a P35 mobo..as the latency is the same from 333mhz and up. They also are known for running stable into the 550mhz FSB range, with good NB cooling..where as most all C1's top out just under 500mhz FSB.

Ah, i see. so its just to do with the chipset.

I had no idea it worked like this. now it just complicates things further >.<

Is it possible to find out what revision a mobo's chipset is before purchasing?.

Thanks alot.

#13 ·
You might be able to contact a manufacturer direct...but other than that.. I know this much:

Asus Commando's- most all are C2
P5B-Dlx's- are C1
DFI Infinity Dark- C2

..basically most all mobo's released for the 965 lineup, are C1 rev. There are only a handful of C2's, such as yours. I use the DFI Infinity for client builds... love them to death! Great OC options and advanced CPU/RAM settings.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.