Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › Questions with some HD's And my own
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Questions with some HD's And my own

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
Okay here is the thing, I have a Dell, with a 250 GB sata harddrive, But its extremly slow, ( im running vista if that helps ) With 2G's of RAM, But when i click on things like Computer and mabe hit manage or even open a folder, It takes forever to load, and when it dose it tells me that its not responding, after a long while it will load but it takes up to 5- 20 min. Now i thought it was my processor but everything points to my HD, now i dont know enough about This to tell, but what made me agree, was when i had my side panel off i heard something rebooting, and then stoping, it was if my harddrive stoped and then started again, making a noise kinda like when i boot it but yet not quite. Ive tried to defrag, and it resets my PC after staying still for a while, Now the hard part about that is that Vista has no visual on defraging. So i can see if its doing anything, I would walk away and my PC would be booting again.


Now that you know the problem, i was looking for new HD's found some 500 G sata on newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ion=500GB+sata

So i want the top one but regardless i just want a 500G sata, Any ideas or help would be greatly appreicated.

Sorry for any misspellings i am horrable, im not 8 Im 17 and cant spell get over it.
Beast
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon six core t7500 mobo from dell  HD 4870 1 gig Mem 24Gb DDR3 tripple channel 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
two 1Tb drives, one 1.5 tb, and a 150 raptor, t... Flux Capacitor air Win7 - ubuntu 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
22" LCD widescreen Razor 1200 watt, Dell T7500 Modded 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech gaming mouse Who needs one these days 
  hide details  
Reply
Beast
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon six core t7500 mobo from dell  HD 4870 1 gig Mem 24Gb DDR3 tripple channel 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
two 1Tb drives, one 1.5 tb, and a 150 raptor, t... Flux Capacitor air Win7 - ubuntu 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
22" LCD widescreen Razor 1200 watt, Dell T7500 Modded 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech gaming mouse Who needs one these days 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 9
just reformat
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5-430M Intel HM55 Mobility Radeon HD 5650 4 GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate Momentus XT DVD Super Multi Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 15.6" 
PowerMouse
6-Cell Lithium-Ion (4400 mAh) Logitech G7 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5-430M Intel HM55 Mobility Radeon HD 5650 4 GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate Momentus XT DVD Super Multi Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 15.6" 
PowerMouse
6-Cell Lithium-Ion (4400 mAh) Logitech G7 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 9
I would defragment it first, then reformat if that doesn't work.
Dark Helmet
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 G0 @ 3.4ghz, 1.39v DFI LP UT P35-T2R XFX 6970 4gb G.Skill PC8000, 2gb G.Skill PC8500 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
OCZ Vertex 2 60gb, WD Black 1tb, Samsung F1 1tb Windows 7 x64 Samsung 206bw Razer Tarantula 
PowerCaseMouse
Seasonic X650 Antec P182 Razer DeathAdder 
  hide details  
Reply
Dark Helmet
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 G0 @ 3.4ghz, 1.39v DFI LP UT P35-T2R XFX 6970 4gb G.Skill PC8000, 2gb G.Skill PC8500 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
OCZ Vertex 2 60gb, WD Black 1tb, Samsung F1 1tb Windows 7 x64 Samsung 206bw Razer Tarantula 
PowerCaseMouse
Seasonic X650 Antec P182 Razer DeathAdder 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by apgfeb14 View Post
Okay here is the thing, I have a Dell, with a 250 GB sata harddrive, But its extremly slow, ( im running vista if that helps ) With 2G's of RAM, But when i click on things like Computer and mabe hit manage or even open a folder, It takes forever to load, and when it dose it tells me that its not responding, after a long while it will load but it takes up to 5- 20 min. Now i thought it was my processor but everything points to my HD, now i dont know enough about This to tell, but what made me agree, was when i had my side panel off i heard something rebooting, and then stoping, it was if my harddrive stoped and then started again, making a noise kinda like when i boot it but yet not quite. Ive tried to defrag, and it resets my PC after staying still for a while, Now the hard part about that is that Vista has no visual on defraging. So i can see if its doing anything, I would walk away and my PC would be booting again.


Now that you know the problem, i was looking for new HD's found some 500 G sata on newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ion=500GB+sata

So i want the top one but regardless i just want a 500G sata, Any ideas or help would be greatly appreicated.

Sorry for any misspellings i am horrable, im not 8 Im 17 and cant spell get over it.
I have the same HD in my (Dell) system.
-do a disk cleanup
-defrag your HD
-run a virus scan and spyware scan

See if that helps
These are not raptors but mines fast enough to get a WEI total system score of 5.3 in Vista
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehpwnerofn00bs View Post
I would defragment it first, then reformat if that doesn't work.
then its time to replace it!
Mini-Me
(13 items)
 
Plex/VM server
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3350p ASRock Z77E-ITX ASUS GTX 960 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Crucial MX200 256GB Windows 7 Dell U2414H Logitech G110 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair RM550 Fractal Node 304 Logitech G500 Xtrac XXL 
Audio
Beyerdynamic DT 990 250Omh  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon L5638 Gygabite X58A-UD3R Asus G210 G.Skill 20GB  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
WD 4 TB Red WD 3 TB Red Mushkin 120GB SSD OEM cooler 
OSPowerCase
Windows 7 Antec True power 750 LIAN LI PC-7B 
  hide details  
Reply
Mini-Me
(13 items)
 
Plex/VM server
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3350p ASRock Z77E-ITX ASUS GTX 960 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Crucial MX200 256GB Windows 7 Dell U2414H Logitech G110 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair RM550 Fractal Node 304 Logitech G500 Xtrac XXL 
Audio
Beyerdynamic DT 990 250Omh  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon L5638 Gygabite X58A-UD3R Asus G210 G.Skill 20GB  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
WD 4 TB Red WD 3 TB Red Mushkin 120GB SSD OEM cooler 
OSPowerCase
Windows 7 Antec True power 750 LIAN LI PC-7B 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 9
Thread Starter 
Ive tried defraging something goes wrong it dosent complete or it reboots, it dosent make sence. As for virus i would but its a bare system i had the problem with Windows XP but it wasent a liget copy ( from the guy i got it from) So i put on Vista, I havent tried disk clean up ill try that and ill be back to tell you guys how things go.
Beast
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon six core t7500 mobo from dell  HD 4870 1 gig Mem 24Gb DDR3 tripple channel 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
two 1Tb drives, one 1.5 tb, and a 150 raptor, t... Flux Capacitor air Win7 - ubuntu 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
22" LCD widescreen Razor 1200 watt, Dell T7500 Modded 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech gaming mouse Who needs one these days 
  hide details  
Reply
Beast
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon six core t7500 mobo from dell  HD 4870 1 gig Mem 24Gb DDR3 tripple channel 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
two 1Tb drives, one 1.5 tb, and a 150 raptor, t... Flux Capacitor air Win7 - ubuntu 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
22" LCD widescreen Razor 1200 watt, Dell T7500 Modded 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech gaming mouse Who needs one these days 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 9
Also if your a gamer and haven't defragged in a while it can sometimes take a long time to defrag. I did one for someone once and it took almost 3 days.
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by apgfeb14 View Post
Ive tried defraging something goes wrong it dosent complete or it reboots, it dosent make sence. As for virus i would but its a bare system i had the problem with Windows XP but it wasent a liget copy ( from the guy i got it from) So i put on Vista, I havent tried disk clean up ill try that and ill be back to tell you guys how things go.
It may be time for a clean reinstall then with your legit copy.
post #9 of 9
format and reinstall, only way to make sure no viruses on ur pc
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5-430M Intel HM55 Mobility Radeon HD 5650 4 GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate Momentus XT DVD Super Multi Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 15.6" 
PowerMouse
6-Cell Lithium-Ion (4400 mAh) Logitech G7 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5-430M Intel HM55 Mobility Radeon HD 5650 4 GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate Momentus XT DVD Super Multi Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 15.6" 
PowerMouse
6-Cell Lithium-Ion (4400 mAh) Logitech G7 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hard Drives & Storage
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › Questions with some HD's And my own