Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [EN]Audiophiles Can't Tell the Difference Between Monster Cable and Coat Hangers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[EN]Audiophiles Can't Tell the Difference Between Monster Cable and Coat Hangers - Page 5

post #41 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargate125645 View Post
It's a speaker cable. Unless we are talking about digital/optical, if the cable is good-quality copper, shielded, and thick enough, I can all but guarantee you that anything "better" will be a waste of money because any difference will either be too small to distinguish (see above) or manifested by your want for the purchase to be justified.
Without getting extremely technical or long winded, I'll explain something to you. Any impurities within a semi conductor create what's known as dead centers within the signal path. What does that mean? It means that it traps electrons due to the positive charge and that part of the original signal will NEVER be passed along. A cable's job is to pass along a signal as unmolested and pure as technically possible. These threads pop up continuously and are never going to be solved with typed words. All high end boutiques allow you to take home cabling to audition with your own system in your own house before purchasing. If they don't make a difference, do you really think a majority of consumers would purchase them?
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2500k Asus P8P67 Galaxy GTX580 8GB G Skill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel 80 gb SSD, Raptor 150 Windows 7 Home Premium 24" Samsung LCD Saitek Eclipse 
PowerCaseMouse
PCP&C 750W Antec P180 Logitech MX-510 blue 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2500k Asus P8P67 Galaxy GTX580 8GB G Skill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel 80 gb SSD, Raptor 150 Windows 7 Home Premium 24" Samsung LCD Saitek Eclipse 
PowerCaseMouse
PCP&C 750W Antec P180 Logitech MX-510 blue 
  hide details  
Reply
post #42 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by sccr64472 View Post
Without getting extremely technical or long winded, I'll explain something to you. Any impurities within a semi conductor create what's known as dead centers within the signal path. What does that mean? It means that it traps electrons due to the positive charge and that part of the original signal will NEVER be passed along. A cable's job is to pass along a signal as unmolested and pure as technically possible. These threads pop up continuously and are never going to be solved with typed words. All high end boutiques allow you to take home cabling to audition with your own system in your own house before purchasing. If they don't make a difference, do you really think a majority of consumers would purchase them?
I appreciate the speach as though I am in grade school. I had to look up a bunch of words, so I shudder to think how long it would have taken me to read that had you used smart-person words!

Did you not see the "pure" part of my post? You just made a pointless post in resopnse by restating what I already said was required.

As for the majority of consumers being correct, that is also a flawed argument. Many products sell when they are clearly either not necessary, overpriced, or not the best option available. The mass market is generally stupid, not smart.
BladeRunner v3.0
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-5930K @ 4.6GHz Core, 4.4GHz Cache ASUS X99 Sabertooth Sapphire R9 380 Dual-X OC G.Skill TridentZ 32GB DDR4 @ 13-15-13-33-1T 320... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Samsung 850 Pro 512GB Noctua NH-D15S Windows 10 Home 64-bit Logitech G910 Orion Spark 
PowerCaseMouse
EVGA SuperNova 1000W T2 NZXT Phantom 820 Black Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
BladeRunner v3.0
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-5930K @ 4.6GHz Core, 4.4GHz Cache ASUS X99 Sabertooth Sapphire R9 380 Dual-X OC G.Skill TridentZ 32GB DDR4 @ 13-15-13-33-1T 320... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Samsung 850 Pro 512GB Noctua NH-D15S Windows 10 Home 64-bit Logitech G910 Orion Spark 
PowerCaseMouse
EVGA SuperNova 1000W T2 NZXT Phantom 820 Black Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #43 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargate125645 View Post
I appreciate the speach as though I am in grade school. I had to look up a bunch of words, so I shudder to think how long it would have taken me to read that had you used smart-person words!

Did you not see the "pure" part of my post? You just made a pointless post in resopnse by restating what I already said was required.

As for the majority of consumers being correct, that is also a flawed argument. Many products sell when they are clearly either not necessary, overpriced, or not the best option available. The mass market is generally stupid, not smart.

What's your deal? Why must you be so defensive, this is to everyone! It's a community, chill out and be HELPFUL.


Anyways, as aura and any other audiophile stated,
MONSTER CABLES ARE NOT AND WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED

audiophile cables. any audiophile who knows anything, either makes his
cables, buys custom cables, or knows where to get them without an 800%
markup. I hate how people who don't understand audiophiles pick monster
and go along these lines "OMGZ YOU GOT PWNED YOU'RE WASTING MONEY".

no, we're not, only people who fall into advertising and are uneducated
are, don't use our titles are a broad generalization.
T.A.R.D.I.S.
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Time Time Time Time 
  hide details  
Reply
T.A.R.D.I.S.
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Time Time Time Time 
  hide details  
Reply
post #44 of 70
There was a program on tv the other night where they tested a 130$ monster cable compared to a similar cable costing 12.99$ and had someone (Audio/Video specialist) test them, the 12.99$ cable worked just as well if not better than the 130$ Monster cable.

I only payed half attention to it so I forget which type of cable it was.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500k Asus P8P67 LE EVGA GTX550 Ti 8GB Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Seagate 1Tb Win 7 Ultimate Sp1 Acer 22" Raidmax RX-630SS 630w 
Case
Raidmax Helios 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500k Asus P8P67 LE EVGA GTX550 Ti 8GB Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Seagate 1Tb Win 7 Ultimate Sp1 Acer 22" Raidmax RX-630SS 630w 
Case
Raidmax Helios 
  hide details  
Reply
post #45 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aura View Post
This comparison is pointless. As said before, Monster never has and never will be an audiophile-grade company.

Placebo anyone?
Placebo..Thats the word I have been looking for lol
post #46 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargate125645 View Post

As for the majority of consumers being correct, that is also a flawed argument. Many products sell when they are clearly either not necessary, overpriced, or not the best option available. The mass market is generally stupid, not smart.
All of that bashing is not needed. You can pick up some monster cables for cheap online if you look around. If you can't tell the difference then you have nothing to worry about because you didn't spend a lot on them.

How many here can tell the difference between DVI, DVII and VGA cables? Ever seen the price of a DVI cable in store? It's like a 800% mark up for a very small difference if any difference at all.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 8700k z370 gaming 7 evga 980 ti 32 Corsair 3200 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
samsung 950 HP dual layer Windows 7 64 27 dell ips  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G15 1050 evga corsair 540 air G900 
Mouse Pad
generic 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 8700k z370 gaming 7 evga 980 ti 32 Corsair 3200 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
samsung 950 HP dual layer Windows 7 64 27 dell ips  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G15 1050 evga corsair 540 air G900 
Mouse Pad
generic 
  hide details  
Reply
post #47 of 70
look at it this way . .even if it is mental it does have a change to that person. If a person thinks he can hear the difference in a couple hundred dollar pair of cables then let them get them. The music will sound better to them and thats all that matters.
 
ESXi Server
(10 items)
 
HTPC
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4790K Asus Sabertooth Mark 2 Radeon HD 6950 GSkill Sniper Series 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung XP941 Noctura NH-D14 8.1 Pro QNIX 27" @ 1440, AOC 27" @ 1080, Dell 24" @ 1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair K95 PC&P 750 NZXT H2 Logitech G500s 
CPUHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Phenom II x4 965 WE Red Seagate Intel SSD 
Hard DriveCoolingOSOS
WR Raptor  Silenx Fans x2 120mm Win 7 x2 Unraid 
OSCase
pfsense Rackmount 16 bay hot-swap 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i3 2100t Gigabyte integrated 2x 8GB GSkill 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
OCZ SSD Stock Win7 - Plex Shell Sony XBR2 
PowerCase
Generic 350 watt Repurposed Vidabox 
  hide details  
Reply
 
ESXi Server
(10 items)
 
HTPC
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4790K Asus Sabertooth Mark 2 Radeon HD 6950 GSkill Sniper Series 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung XP941 Noctura NH-D14 8.1 Pro QNIX 27" @ 1440, AOC 27" @ 1080, Dell 24" @ 1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair K95 PC&P 750 NZXT H2 Logitech G500s 
CPUHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Phenom II x4 965 WE Red Seagate Intel SSD 
Hard DriveCoolingOSOS
WR Raptor  Silenx Fans x2 120mm Win 7 x2 Unraid 
OSCase
pfsense Rackmount 16 bay hot-swap 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i3 2100t Gigabyte integrated 2x 8GB GSkill 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
OCZ SSD Stock Win7 - Plex Shell Sony XBR2 
PowerCase
Generic 350 watt Repurposed Vidabox 
  hide details  
Reply
post #48 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by phospholipid View Post
What's your deal? Why must you be so defensive, this is to everyone! It's a community, chill out and be HELPFUL.


Anyways, as aura and any other audiophile stated,
MONSTER CABLES ARE NOT AND WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED

audiophile cables. any audiophile who knows anything, either makes his
cables, buys custom cables, or knows where to get them without an 800%
markup. I hate how people who don't understand audiophiles pick monster
and go along these lines "OMGZ YOU GOT PWNED YOU'RE WASTING MONEY".

no, we're not, only people who fall into advertising and are uneducated
are, don't use our titles are a broad generalization.
Yeah, I'm the one not being helpful. Did you even read the post, or the one that prompted it? And it's rather hypocritical of you to claim I'm being defensive and need to chill out, then proceed to attack me (that's what it is, regardless of what you claim, as you singled me out however misinformed you were to do so).
BladeRunner v3.0
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-5930K @ 4.6GHz Core, 4.4GHz Cache ASUS X99 Sabertooth Sapphire R9 380 Dual-X OC G.Skill TridentZ 32GB DDR4 @ 13-15-13-33-1T 320... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Samsung 850 Pro 512GB Noctua NH-D15S Windows 10 Home 64-bit Logitech G910 Orion Spark 
PowerCaseMouse
EVGA SuperNova 1000W T2 NZXT Phantom 820 Black Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
BladeRunner v3.0
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-5930K @ 4.6GHz Core, 4.4GHz Cache ASUS X99 Sabertooth Sapphire R9 380 Dual-X OC G.Skill TridentZ 32GB DDR4 @ 13-15-13-33-1T 320... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Samsung 850 Pro 512GB Noctua NH-D15S Windows 10 Home 64-bit Logitech G910 Orion Spark 
PowerCaseMouse
EVGA SuperNova 1000W T2 NZXT Phantom 820 Black Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #49 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargate125645 View Post
Yeah, I'm the one not being helpful. Did you even read the post, or the one that prompted it? And it's rather hypocritical of you to claim I'm being defensive and need to chill out, then proceed to attack me (that's what it is, regardless of what you claim, as you singled me out however misinformed you were to do so).
Please point out the line where he attacks you stargate. Because I don't see it. He's stating his opinion which is against the majority of the view of those in here. Not just one person. Try not to read to much into it.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 8700k z370 gaming 7 evga 980 ti 32 Corsair 3200 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
samsung 950 HP dual layer Windows 7 64 27 dell ips  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G15 1050 evga corsair 540 air G900 
Mouse Pad
generic 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 8700k z370 gaming 7 evga 980 ti 32 Corsair 3200 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
samsung 950 HP dual layer Windows 7 64 27 dell ips  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G15 1050 evga corsair 540 air G900 
Mouse Pad
generic 
  hide details  
Reply
post #50 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENTERPRISE View Post
Placebo..Thats the word I have been looking for lol
Unfortunately, audio is hit with quite a bit of placebo these days.

The ironic thing is that I never suggested that audiophile-grade brands necessarily sound better than Monster themselves; I think people thought I was insinuating that point.

Headphone cable companies like Virtual Dynamics have been under much scrutiny as well - a member of Head-Fi cut open a $150 power cable only to find that it contained something like $5 worth of actual components. Grado has an amp that retails for $350 yet only contains very basic parts, but somehow the people that use it swear that it sounds fantastic.

The fact remains that many audiophiles with highly trained ears are less susceptible to placebo and remain fully confident that the high-end cables they use are more than worth the price.

What really matters with audio is what you believe. If you don't think $1000 cables make an ounce of difference, then do not buy them (and vice-versa). I personally have had headphones recabled and I heard a difference, and nothing anyone can say to me will change that.
In The Works
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
C2D e6600 (3.3ghz) Asus P5Q (P45) eVGA 8800GTS 320mb (670/1000) 2x1GB G.Skill HK (900mhz @ 5-5-5-15) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD Black 640GB (OS) / WD AAKS 500GB + WD JS 250GB Sony DVD-RW Vista Ultimate 32bit Dell E207WFP (1680 x 1050) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Basic Dell ;> Corsair HX520w Modular Modded CM Centurion 590 Logitech G5 
Mouse Pad
XPS pad 
  hide details  
Reply
In The Works
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
C2D e6600 (3.3ghz) Asus P5Q (P45) eVGA 8800GTS 320mb (670/1000) 2x1GB G.Skill HK (900mhz @ 5-5-5-15) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD Black 640GB (OS) / WD AAKS 500GB + WD JS 250GB Sony DVD-RW Vista Ultimate 32bit Dell E207WFP (1680 x 1050) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Basic Dell ;> Corsair HX520w Modular Modded CM Centurion 590 Logitech G5 
Mouse Pad
XPS pad 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [EN]Audiophiles Can't Tell the Difference Between Monster Cable and Coat Hangers