Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › 128-bit GPU impossible to oc?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

128-bit GPU impossible to oc?

post #1 of 24
Thread Starter 
I don't believe something that I just read, but I have to test this against the expertise of OCN.

I read a NewEgg review on an EVGA 8600GT SSC that said something about not being able to overclock their system because their video card was overclocked, so they gave the advice that if you're keeping everything at stock, then that card is perfect.

Is this true, or am I correct to say that this is incorrect? Whatever the answer is, then why is it so?

Edit: I have the thread's titled question in post #6.
post #2 of 24
You are correct to say its incorrect, GPU overclocking shouldn't make any difference to the CPU clock
Kandalf LCS
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 920 @ 3.8Ghz 200x19 1.275v Gigabyte X58 Extreme 2x Gecube 4870 512Mb CrossFire 12GB Gskill DDR3 1600Mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x500GB Seagate 7200.11 Raid0 + 13.2TB's Sony DVD Drive Windows 7 x64 1xViewSonic 26" 2xViewsonic VX 22" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Corsair HX 620W Thermaltake Kandalf LCS + MCR320 and MCP655 Logitech G5 
Mouse Pad
Razor Mantis Speed 
  hide details  
Reply
Kandalf LCS
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 920 @ 3.8Ghz 200x19 1.275v Gigabyte X58 Extreme 2x Gecube 4870 512Mb CrossFire 12GB Gskill DDR3 1600Mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x500GB Seagate 7200.11 Raid0 + 13.2TB's Sony DVD Drive Windows 7 x64 1xViewSonic 26" 2xViewsonic VX 22" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Corsair HX 620W Thermaltake Kandalf LCS + MCR320 and MCP655 Logitech G5 
Mouse Pad
Razor Mantis Speed 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 24
Never believe the reviews you see on NewEgg. They're never written by technically capable individuals.
post #4 of 24
I'm 99.99999999999999999999% sure that's another lol-newegg review. I SERIOUSLY doubt it's true.

If it's true FOR HIM, then I would guess it's because he has a crappy PSU that won't allow him to stably OC the CPU/system at the same time as his GPU.
post #5 of 24
I'd tell you to take Newegg reviews with a grain of salt, but I feel that's somewhat of an understatement.

NEVER trust anything you read on that site by other people. It's full of people spouting misinformation and immature rants.

The only reasons I can think why you wouldn't be able to overclock the rest of your system because your GFX card is overclocked, is either:

1. Too much heat generated by the GFX card is moving around in a poorly ventilated case and heating poorly cooled components, making it unstable; or

2. The PSU being used isn't adequate at all; or

3. The GFX card alone is simply unstable and is making the system crash - regardless of the other component's states.

(1) is unlikely. (2) is poor user error. (3) doesn't really have anything to do with overclocking the other components anyway. I would take a guess and say the reviewer is experiencing (3).

For the most part, that review is completely misleading and totally off-base. For all intensive purposes, with pretty much any system, the GFX card will not directly effect the other component's ability to overclock. It is a separate piece of hardware.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q6600 G0 @ 3.6GHz (lapped) EVGA 780i SLI FTW @ 1600MHz FSB 2 x EVGA 8800GTX 768MB (SLI) @ 625/1500/2000MHz 2x2GB G.Skill PC2-8000 PQ @ 800MHz (linked to FSB) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x160GB WD RAID 0, 750GB Samsung Spinpoint F1 LITE-ON 20X SATA DVD/CD RW Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Viewsonic VA2702w 27" LCD 1920x1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Value 100 (beer magnet) Corsair TX 750W Cooler Master ATCS 840 Logitech SBF-90 (cheapest one on Newegg) 
Mouse Pad
Some kinda rubber thing (beer magnet) 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q6600 G0 @ 3.6GHz (lapped) EVGA 780i SLI FTW @ 1600MHz FSB 2 x EVGA 8800GTX 768MB (SLI) @ 625/1500/2000MHz 2x2GB G.Skill PC2-8000 PQ @ 800MHz (linked to FSB) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x160GB WD RAID 0, 750GB Samsung Spinpoint F1 LITE-ON 20X SATA DVD/CD RW Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Viewsonic VA2702w 27" LCD 1920x1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Value 100 (beer magnet) Corsair TX 750W Cooler Master ATCS 840 Logitech SBF-90 (cheapest one on Newegg) 
Mouse Pad
Some kinda rubber thing (beer magnet) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 24
Thread Starter 
I should have been clearer. Ha, I'm learning all the time.

What I should have said was that this is a factory-overclocked GPU, and this guy was claiming that he couldn't overclock the rest of his system because of it.

Yeah, I had a feeling that this guy needs help. I found myself shaking my head thinking, "why did he even open up his case? He would've been better off coming to OCN first."

Now, I do have a 2nd question.

Somebody else said that the GPU was impossible to oc because it had 128-bit memory. I lol'd at this, but then I read it again by somebody else. So, is this true? I sincerely doubt it, so again, I have to test it against OCN.
post #7 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choggs396 View Post
I'd tell you to take Newegg reviews with a grain of salt, but I feel that's somewhat of an understatement.

NEVER trust anything you read on that site by other people. It's full of people spouting misinformation and immature rants.

The only reasons I can think why you wouldn't be able to overclock the rest of your system because your GFX card is overclocked, is either:

1. Too much heat generated by the GFX card is moving around in a poorly ventilated case and heating poorly cooled components, making it unstable; or

2. The PSU being used isn't adequate at all; or

3. The GFX card alone is simply unstable and is making the system crash - regardless of the other component's states.

(1) is unlikely. (2) is poor user error. (3) doesn't really have anything to do with overclocking the other components anyway. I would take a guess and say the reviewer is experiencing (3).

For the most part, that review is completely misleading and totally off-base. For all intensive purposes, with pretty much any system, the GFX card will not directly effect the other component's ability to overclock. It is a separate piece of hardware.
Yeah, the reason it's a separate piece of hardware is why I didn't buy into this in the first place. But ofc, I had to make sure. Thank you everyone!
post #8 of 24
Thread Starter 
See post #6 for the new question. Sorry about all these replies at the bottom.
post #9 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5CheeseLasagna View Post
Somebody else said that the GPU was impossible to oc because it had 128-bit memory. I lol'd at this, but then I read it again by somebody else. So, is this true? I sincerely doubt it, so again, I have to test it against OCN.
Absolutely not. Just because the memory runs on a 128-bit bus, doesn't mean it won't overclock because of it - there's no reasoning behind that. I believe the 8600GT has been known to be a great OC'er, both GPU and memory-wise. With a volt-mod or two, the 8600GT is capable of even further core and memory overclocks. I've seen some people at OCN here do this (can't remember who off-hand, maybe they'll see this thread).

As for Newegg, here's another "fine example" of the reviewers there....

EVGA 8600GT SSC 256MB as reviewed by "Snowman", Tech level: "high":
Quote:
The price is something you can't beat. Your getting a 130 dollar card for an 8800GTX performance.
Um, sure. I'd hate to see what he considers a "low" tech level....
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q6600 G0 @ 3.6GHz (lapped) EVGA 780i SLI FTW @ 1600MHz FSB 2 x EVGA 8800GTX 768MB (SLI) @ 625/1500/2000MHz 2x2GB G.Skill PC2-8000 PQ @ 800MHz (linked to FSB) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x160GB WD RAID 0, 750GB Samsung Spinpoint F1 LITE-ON 20X SATA DVD/CD RW Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Viewsonic VA2702w 27" LCD 1920x1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Value 100 (beer magnet) Corsair TX 750W Cooler Master ATCS 840 Logitech SBF-90 (cheapest one on Newegg) 
Mouse Pad
Some kinda rubber thing (beer magnet) 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q6600 G0 @ 3.6GHz (lapped) EVGA 780i SLI FTW @ 1600MHz FSB 2 x EVGA 8800GTX 768MB (SLI) @ 625/1500/2000MHz 2x2GB G.Skill PC2-8000 PQ @ 800MHz (linked to FSB) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x160GB WD RAID 0, 750GB Samsung Spinpoint F1 LITE-ON 20X SATA DVD/CD RW Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Viewsonic VA2702w 27" LCD 1920x1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Value 100 (beer magnet) Corsair TX 750W Cooler Master ATCS 840 Logitech SBF-90 (cheapest one on Newegg) 
Mouse Pad
Some kinda rubber thing (beer magnet) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choggs396 View Post
Absolutely not. Just because the memory runs on a 128-bit bus, doesn't mean it won't overclock because of it - there's no reasoning behind that. I believe the 8600GT has been known to be a great OC'er, both GPU and memory-wise. With a volt-mod or two, the 8600GT is capable of even further core and memory overclocks. I've seen some people at OCN here do this (can't remember who off-hand, maybe they'll see this thread).

As for Newegg, here's another "fine example" of the reviewers there....

EVGA 8600GT SSC 256MB as reviewed by "Snowman", Tech level: "high":


Um, sure. I'd hate to see what he considers a "low" tech level....
I've already seen worse reviews.

But I have to say so far that my favorite is the entire set of reviews on an ASUS dvd drive. It has a feature where the LED light stays on when there's a disc inside. Not one person liked it. Most of the reviews made some mention of it, and it was always clear that they either thought it wasn't supposed to do that, or it was simply annoying to them.

I, for one, am looking forward to having that feature. I need it.

Thank you, Choggs. You're very helpful. This is why I came here.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: NVIDIA
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › 128-bit GPU impossible to oc?