Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [PS3Fanboy]PS3 to simulate black-hole collisions.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[PS3Fanboy]PS3 to simulate black-hole collisions. - Page 7

post #61 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrospekt View Post
The Cell is the fastest CPU per dollar. Period.

There's faster supercomputers that cost hundreds of millions of dollars, sure. But a PS3 for 400 dollars is faster than any 5,000 dollar supercomputer from 3 years ago.
rep +1
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X2 4400+ (2.6ghz) DFI LP UT SLI-D ATI X1600 Pro G. Skill DDR500 (2x1GB)@250 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
2 WD 80 gig 7200rpm (Raid 0) Windows XP Pro Samsung 20" 2ms AMD 64 X2 4400+ for sale 
PowerCase
OCZ GameStream 600watts Antec Sonata II 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X2 4400+ (2.6ghz) DFI LP UT SLI-D ATI X1600 Pro G. Skill DDR500 (2x1GB)@250 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
2 WD 80 gig 7200rpm (Raid 0) Windows XP Pro Samsung 20" 2ms AMD 64 X2 4400+ for sale 
PowerCase
OCZ GameStream 600watts Antec Sonata II 
  hide details  
Reply
post #62 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geforce521 View Post
rep +1
What a way to waste rep.

Its the fastest sure...at number calculations. General computing...well not so much. I would be surprised to see the Cell break 4k in 3dMark06

It takes much more than a good number cruncher to be a GOOD processor, or we would all be sporting a CELL in our PCs right now.
MY XFX l0ng Pwn3r
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Q6600 @ 4.05Ghz Lapped XFX 680i LT 2 x 8800GT 775core/2000mem 4Gb Patriot Viper 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1 x 400Gb, 1 x 320Gb, 1 x 160Gb 2 x LG DVD-RW Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit Samsung 226bw 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ideazon Z-Board Ultra X Pro 750 Ultra Razer DeathAdder 
Mouse Pad
AttackPAD Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
MY XFX l0ng Pwn3r
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Q6600 @ 4.05Ghz Lapped XFX 680i LT 2 x 8800GT 775core/2000mem 4Gb Patriot Viper 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1 x 400Gb, 1 x 320Gb, 1 x 160Gb 2 x LG DVD-RW Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit Samsung 226bw 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ideazon Z-Board Ultra X Pro 750 Ultra Razer DeathAdder 
Mouse Pad
AttackPAD Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #63 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by relic2279 View Post
ignorance is bliss...
+ Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HrnyGoat View Post
Dead wrong there. Sony just likes to make up numbers and throw them out there. No surprise though, Sony has had a long history of dishonesty.

The real processing power can be figured out mathematically.

Each SPE can do 4 multiply-adds per clock cycle, so that a total of 8 operations per clock. Multiply that by a clock of 3.2GHz and you get 25.6Gflops. Since there are 7 functional SPE's and one PPE, multiply that number by 8 and you get 204.8Gflops, or rounded up to 205Gflops as offically stated.

The GPU puts out nowhere near 1.8Tflops as Sony claims. The RSX is based on the G70 architecture, which consists of 24 pixel shaders. According to official specs, each shader can do 8 multiply-add operations, so that makes a total of 16 operations per shader, per clock. Multiply that by 24 and you get 384 operations per clock. Take that, in turn, and multiply it by the 550MHz clockspeed and you get 211.2 Gigaflops. Nowhere near 1.8 Teraflops. Wonder where Sony pulled those numbers from?

Also, here is an old post I made regarding the same thing:



As far as I know, the G70 architecture is incapable of GPGPU tasks.

Sorry Goat...there is no teaching these guys. Sony has them under their spell. No matter what you say, they will always have a "super computer" in their living room that they bought for 400 bucks


*laughs hysterically at ignorant people who listen to Sony and then bend over*
MY XFX l0ng Pwn3r
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Q6600 @ 4.05Ghz Lapped XFX 680i LT 2 x 8800GT 775core/2000mem 4Gb Patriot Viper 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1 x 400Gb, 1 x 320Gb, 1 x 160Gb 2 x LG DVD-RW Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit Samsung 226bw 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ideazon Z-Board Ultra X Pro 750 Ultra Razer DeathAdder 
Mouse Pad
AttackPAD Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
MY XFX l0ng Pwn3r
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Q6600 @ 4.05Ghz Lapped XFX 680i LT 2 x 8800GT 775core/2000mem 4Gb Patriot Viper 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1 x 400Gb, 1 x 320Gb, 1 x 160Gb 2 x LG DVD-RW Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit Samsung 226bw 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ideazon Z-Board Ultra X Pro 750 Ultra Razer DeathAdder 
Mouse Pad
AttackPAD Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #64 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by [NuC] R4v3N View Post
What a way to waste rep.

Its the fastest sure...at number calculations. General computing...well not so much. I would be surprised to see the Cell break 4k in 3dMark06

It takes much more than a good number cruncher to be a GOOD processor, or we would all be sporting a CELL in our PCs right now.
LMAO

Being a good processor is relative to what kind of job the cpu is assigned to do.
I could say my processor sucks at crunching numbers compared to the cell.
And of course the cell does suck at general computing.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X2 4400+ (2.6ghz) DFI LP UT SLI-D ATI X1600 Pro G. Skill DDR500 (2x1GB)@250 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
2 WD 80 gig 7200rpm (Raid 0) Windows XP Pro Samsung 20" 2ms AMD 64 X2 4400+ for sale 
PowerCase
OCZ GameStream 600watts Antec Sonata II 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X2 4400+ (2.6ghz) DFI LP UT SLI-D ATI X1600 Pro G. Skill DDR500 (2x1GB)@250 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
2 WD 80 gig 7200rpm (Raid 0) Windows XP Pro Samsung 20" 2ms AMD 64 X2 4400+ for sale 
PowerCase
OCZ GameStream 600watts Antec Sonata II 
  hide details  
Reply
post #65 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geforce521 View Post
LMAO

Being a good processor is relative to what kind of job the cpu is assigned to do.
I could say my processor sucks at crunching numbers compared to the cell.
And of course the cell does suck at general computing.
EXACTLY...thanks for proving me right btw. This particular CPU was assigned to a gaming console. FAIL.
MY XFX l0ng Pwn3r
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Q6600 @ 4.05Ghz Lapped XFX 680i LT 2 x 8800GT 775core/2000mem 4Gb Patriot Viper 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1 x 400Gb, 1 x 320Gb, 1 x 160Gb 2 x LG DVD-RW Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit Samsung 226bw 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ideazon Z-Board Ultra X Pro 750 Ultra Razer DeathAdder 
Mouse Pad
AttackPAD Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
MY XFX l0ng Pwn3r
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Q6600 @ 4.05Ghz Lapped XFX 680i LT 2 x 8800GT 775core/2000mem 4Gb Patriot Viper 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1 x 400Gb, 1 x 320Gb, 1 x 160Gb 2 x LG DVD-RW Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit Samsung 226bw 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ideazon Z-Board Ultra X Pro 750 Ultra Razer DeathAdder 
Mouse Pad
AttackPAD Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #66 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by [NuC] R4v3N View Post
What a way to waste rep.

Its the fastest sure...at number calculations. General computing...well not so much. I would be surprised to see the Cell break 4k in 3dMark06

It takes much more than a good number cruncher to be a GOOD processor, or we would all be sporting a CELL in our PCs right now.
Please don't reproduce. We don't need more people thinking that the computing world revolves around them and their weak computing needs.
FX Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8320e Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P Sapphire R9 380 4GB 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Intel 240GB SSD HGST 4TB Storage DVD-RW Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 7 x64 AOC 27" 1080p Corsair CX750m Corsair 200R 
Audio
Asus Xonar DS 
  hide details  
Reply
FX Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8320e Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P Sapphire R9 380 4GB 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Intel 240GB SSD HGST 4TB Storage DVD-RW Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 7 x64 AOC 27" 1080p Corsair CX750m Corsair 200R 
Audio
Asus Xonar DS 
  hide details  
Reply
post #67 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrospekt View Post
Please don't reproduce. We don't need more people thinking that the computing world revolves around them and their weak computing needs.
HAHA!! I always knew my son was a character
MY XFX l0ng Pwn3r
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Q6600 @ 4.05Ghz Lapped XFX 680i LT 2 x 8800GT 775core/2000mem 4Gb Patriot Viper 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1 x 400Gb, 1 x 320Gb, 1 x 160Gb 2 x LG DVD-RW Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit Samsung 226bw 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ideazon Z-Board Ultra X Pro 750 Ultra Razer DeathAdder 
Mouse Pad
AttackPAD Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
MY XFX l0ng Pwn3r
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Q6600 @ 4.05Ghz Lapped XFX 680i LT 2 x 8800GT 775core/2000mem 4Gb Patriot Viper 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1 x 400Gb, 1 x 320Gb, 1 x 160Gb 2 x LG DVD-RW Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit Samsung 226bw 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ideazon Z-Board Ultra X Pro 750 Ultra Razer DeathAdder 
Mouse Pad
AttackPAD Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #68 of 83
Raven, go troll somewhere else. You just crap on every thread you enter practically. >_>

you rep+'d a post that was completely stupid and added nothing, i could report you for buddy repping right there if I wanted to.

You know what the cell will be doing in this case? Simulation. What does simulation take? A number cruncher. What does the CELL do? Number crunching.

Now, DONT pull out other irrelevent crap like you alwayd do, and kindly take your leave of this thread. If your going to be posting against something, at least do it intelligently like hrnygoat. I've yet to see you make a post that even rivals the stuff he does.
> Scotland
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE ASUS M4A89GTD 9600GT OC G.SKILL Ripjaws 4GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB WD Cavier Black Lite-On SATA DVD+RW Windows 7 Professional Samsung BX2335 + Samsung 2253BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft FSP FX600-GLN-E Aspire X-Cruiser Razer Diamondback 3G 
Mouse Pad
Wacom Intuios 4 Medium 
  hide details  
Reply
> Scotland
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE ASUS M4A89GTD 9600GT OC G.SKILL Ripjaws 4GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB WD Cavier Black Lite-On SATA DVD+RW Windows 7 Professional Samsung BX2335 + Samsung 2253BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft FSP FX600-GLN-E Aspire X-Cruiser Razer Diamondback 3G 
Mouse Pad
Wacom Intuios 4 Medium 
  hide details  
Reply
post #69 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lelouch View Post
Raven, go troll somewhere else. You just crap on every thread you enter practically. >_>

you rep+'d a post that was completely stupid and added nothing, i could report you for buddy repping right there if I wanted to.

You know what the cell will be doing in this case? Simulation. What does simulation take? A number cruncher. What does the CELL do? Number crunching.

Now, DONT pull out other irrelevent crap like you alwayd do, and kindly take your leave of this thread. If your going to be posting against something, at least do it intelligently like hrnygoat. I've yet to see you make a post that even rivals the stuff he does.
Go cry in the Gamespot forums.

You just like his stuff because he BOGGLES your little middle school brain.

I could do the same...but thats not my style.

I rather enjoy watching people get all emotional about things they do not even know...

Have a great day Lelouch, don't let the bully take your lunch money at school tomorrow.
MY XFX l0ng Pwn3r
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Q6600 @ 4.05Ghz Lapped XFX 680i LT 2 x 8800GT 775core/2000mem 4Gb Patriot Viper 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1 x 400Gb, 1 x 320Gb, 1 x 160Gb 2 x LG DVD-RW Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit Samsung 226bw 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ideazon Z-Board Ultra X Pro 750 Ultra Razer DeathAdder 
Mouse Pad
AttackPAD Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
MY XFX l0ng Pwn3r
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Q6600 @ 4.05Ghz Lapped XFX 680i LT 2 x 8800GT 775core/2000mem 4Gb Patriot Viper 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1 x 400Gb, 1 x 320Gb, 1 x 160Gb 2 x LG DVD-RW Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit Samsung 226bw 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ideazon Z-Board Ultra X Pro 750 Ultra Razer DeathAdder 
Mouse Pad
AttackPAD Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #70 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by [NuC] R4v3N View Post
Go cry in the Gamespot forums.

You just like his stuff because he BOGGLES your little middle school brain.

I could do the same...but thats not my style.

I rather enjoy watching people get all emotional about things they do not even know...

Have a great day Lelouch, don't let the bully take your lunch money at school tomorrow.
Please wholeheartedly accept my invitation to go troll somewhere else.

So, eh, don't let the bullies at wherever you decide to annoy people next take your lunch money.



Alrighty folks, lets get back on topic now.
Morpheus Mini
(7 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6700T SN970 GTX 960 Crucial CT102464BF160B 
Hard DriveOSAudio
Samsung 850 Evo M.2 Windows 10 Pro MOTU Audio Express 
  hide details  
Reply
Morpheus Mini
(7 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6700T SN970 GTX 960 Crucial CT102464BF160B 
Hard DriveOSAudio
Samsung 850 Evo M.2 Windows 10 Pro MOTU Audio Express 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Game News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [PS3Fanboy]PS3 to simulate black-hole collisions.