Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › 8800GTX Overclocking help
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

8800GTX Overclocking help - Page 2

post #11 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceLover View Post
Hey man, you'll want AtiTool to "artifact scan" your overclock. If you get yellow blocks (artifacts) within 2 hours, reduce your OC. Otherwise, it's safe to say it's stable.

Oh, have you checked out these 2 threads yet? They should help you out ALOT!! :
http://www.overclock.net/nvidia/1386...ml#post3307920
http://www.overclock.net/nvidia/1362...oc-thread.html

If you have any more questions after reading through those, feel free to PM me (or post your question here of course!)
2 hours? who has that kind of time for a GPU overclock...i run it for 5 minutes, 15 if i want to be absolutely sure of no artifacting.
post #12 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcogan10 View Post
2 hours? who has that kind of time for a GPU overclock...i run it for 5 minutes, 15 if i want to be absolutely sure of no artifacting.
yeah tahts what i was thinking... when i started to get aritfacts, it was within secconds.... other than that the 1 hr test I ran proved to be the same as a 5 min run

ATI Tool exposes any weakness pretty fast
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom 9950 Black Edition @ 3.0Ghz Gigabyte mATX 785G? HD3200 IGP *Passively cooled* 2x1GB WINTEC Crap, 2x2GB Patriot | DDR2 800 1.9v 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Western Digital AAKS Series 500GB Windows 7 Enterprise x64 Custom Cooked for SPEED Samsung 58" B650 1080p Plasma Logitech DiNovo Mini 
PowerCaseMouse
Silverstone 350Watt Silent PSU Cooler Master 590 Logitech DiNovo Mini 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom 9950 Black Edition @ 3.0Ghz Gigabyte mATX 785G? HD3200 IGP *Passively cooled* 2x1GB WINTEC Crap, 2x2GB Patriot | DDR2 800 1.9v 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Western Digital AAKS Series 500GB Windows 7 Enterprise x64 Custom Cooked for SPEED Samsung 58" B650 1080p Plasma Logitech DiNovo Mini 
PowerCaseMouse
Silverstone 350Watt Silent PSU Cooler Master 590 Logitech DiNovo Mini 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by XFreeRollerX View Post
ATI Tool exposes any weakness pretty fast
Says the person that didn't know of it's existance untill today....

And who has time for 2 hours of Artifact Scanning? ME (and tons of other people as well here on the forum)!! To check if your OC is stable enough for 1 benchmark run, sure, 15 minutes is long enough. If your going to be gaming for more than 15 minutes at a time, then it would be wise to test and see if your OC is stable for so long right? You don't just assemble a pc, turn it on, boost up the fsb and ram speeds then expect the pc to work 8+ hours, do you?
No, you test the bugger! (And if you don't, don't complain that games/programs crash after an hour or so...)

(Sorry if I sound a bit rude in this post, but I can't take it when people lay a smack of money down for hardware and treat it like crap. But hey, it's not my money that's being wasted..)

Maybe the question should have been, "Who DOESN'T have the time to make sure their system is tip-top in shape?"
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Wolfdale E8500 4.1 @ 1.34v Asus P5E-iX38 Rampage Bios 0403 Asus EN8800GTX 659/1535/2100 2x Crucial Ballistix BLKIT12864AA1065 (4GB) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x Seagate Barricuda 7200.10 250GB + 1x500GB Samsung Writemaster DVD-RW Windows XP Pro 64Bits LG Flatron L2000CE, 1400x1050 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Gamer (Blue backlight) Coolermaster Real Power Pro RS850w Coolermaster Stacker 832 Logitech G5 
Mouse Pad
Everglide Titan 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Wolfdale E8500 4.1 @ 1.34v Asus P5E-iX38 Rampage Bios 0403 Asus EN8800GTX 659/1535/2100 2x Crucial Ballistix BLKIT12864AA1065 (4GB) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x Seagate Barricuda 7200.10 250GB + 1x500GB Samsung Writemaster DVD-RW Windows XP Pro 64Bits LG Flatron L2000CE, 1400x1050 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Gamer (Blue backlight) Coolermaster Real Power Pro RS850w Coolermaster Stacker 832 Logitech G5 
Mouse Pad
Everglide Titan 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceLover View Post
Says the person that didn't know of it's existance untill today....

And who has time for 2 hours of Artifact Scanning? ME (and tons of other people as well here on the forum)!! To check if your OC is stable enough for 1 benchmark run, sure, 15 minutes is long enough. If your going to be gaming for more than 15 minutes at a time, then it would be wise to test and see if your OC is stable for so long right? You don't just assemble a pc, turn it on, boost up the fsb and ram speeds then expect the pc to work 8+ hours, do you?
No, you test the bugger! (And if you don't, don't complain that games/programs crash after an hour or so...)

(Sorry if I sound a bit rude in this post, but I can't take it when people lay a smack of money down for hardware and treat it like crap. But hey, it's not my money that's being wasted..)

Maybe the question should have been, "Who DOESN'T have the time to make sure their system is tip-top in shape?"
I have known about ATI Tool since the Beta .25 - i didnt realize it would work even after the driver failed to install.

And I dont treat hardware like crap... More like my baby as my system is running me over $2200 now. And being in college, thats not easy money!
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom 9950 Black Edition @ 3.0Ghz Gigabyte mATX 785G? HD3200 IGP *Passively cooled* 2x1GB WINTEC Crap, 2x2GB Patriot | DDR2 800 1.9v 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Western Digital AAKS Series 500GB Windows 7 Enterprise x64 Custom Cooked for SPEED Samsung 58" B650 1080p Plasma Logitech DiNovo Mini 
PowerCaseMouse
Silverstone 350Watt Silent PSU Cooler Master 590 Logitech DiNovo Mini 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom 9950 Black Edition @ 3.0Ghz Gigabyte mATX 785G? HD3200 IGP *Passively cooled* 2x1GB WINTEC Crap, 2x2GB Patriot | DDR2 800 1.9v 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Western Digital AAKS Series 500GB Windows 7 Enterprise x64 Custom Cooked for SPEED Samsung 58" B650 1080p Plasma Logitech DiNovo Mini 
PowerCaseMouse
Silverstone 350Watt Silent PSU Cooler Master 590 Logitech DiNovo Mini 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 24
i got my core up to 648 and memory up to 2106 myself. anything above will give artifiacts... gl with ur oc =)
LazyCores
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 2600k Asus P8P67 Pro GeForce GTX 570 8GB G.Skill RipJaws 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate Barracuda LG BW 7 Professional 64bit HP w2207h 
PowerCase
Antec Truepower 750W Thermaltake Kandalf 
  hide details  
Reply
LazyCores
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 2600k Asus P8P67 Pro GeForce GTX 570 8GB G.Skill RipJaws 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate Barracuda LG BW 7 Professional 64bit HP w2207h 
PowerCase
Antec Truepower 750W Thermaltake Kandalf 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinPIE View Post
i got my core up to 648 and memory up to 2106 myself. anything above will give artifiacts... gl with ur oc =)
im on stock cooling lol
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom 9950 Black Edition @ 3.0Ghz Gigabyte mATX 785G? HD3200 IGP *Passively cooled* 2x1GB WINTEC Crap, 2x2GB Patriot | DDR2 800 1.9v 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Western Digital AAKS Series 500GB Windows 7 Enterprise x64 Custom Cooked for SPEED Samsung 58" B650 1080p Plasma Logitech DiNovo Mini 
PowerCaseMouse
Silverstone 350Watt Silent PSU Cooler Master 590 Logitech DiNovo Mini 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom 9950 Black Edition @ 3.0Ghz Gigabyte mATX 785G? HD3200 IGP *Passively cooled* 2x1GB WINTEC Crap, 2x2GB Patriot | DDR2 800 1.9v 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Western Digital AAKS Series 500GB Windows 7 Enterprise x64 Custom Cooked for SPEED Samsung 58" B650 1080p Plasma Logitech DiNovo Mini 
PowerCaseMouse
Silverstone 350Watt Silent PSU Cooler Master 590 Logitech DiNovo Mini 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettjv View Post
In case you aren't already aware, it's a good idea to run something (like the graphs in rivatuner) that'll give you the EXACT clocks you're running at, because all the clocks jump up in discreet 'chunks'. For example, on the memory, anything you choose between about 993 and 1006 will actually run at 999MHz (that's a rough guess, but you get the idea).

The shaders in particular can make some pretty huge sudden jumps.

Just a heads-up, you prolley knew already, but I found it very handy to realize this fact so I'm passin it on
Here's the core chart.

Mighty-iTX
(12 items)
 
One foot in..
(17 items)
 
mATX
(12 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4770K M7-Impact Strix GTX980 Samsung 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial M4 256 Glacer 240L W8.1 K272HUL 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Seasonic X-650 Prodigy MX518 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
4770K/45/43 Maximus VI Extreme R290X R290X 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung Crucial M4 64GB RAIDR LSSWM 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Cooler Master Glacer 7 Ultimate 64 SyncMaster Eclipse 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
XFX 1050 BE 600T Silver MX518 Desk 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-4330 Z87 Gryphon GTX690 G.Skill RipJawsX 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
WD Blacks Hyper 212 W8.1 ACER 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Ultra X3 1000w Corsair 230T Orange Razer 
  hide details  
Reply
Mighty-iTX
(12 items)
 
One foot in..
(17 items)
 
mATX
(12 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4770K M7-Impact Strix GTX980 Samsung 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial M4 256 Glacer 240L W8.1 K272HUL 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Seasonic X-650 Prodigy MX518 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
4770K/45/43 Maximus VI Extreme R290X R290X 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung Crucial M4 64GB RAIDR LSSWM 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Cooler Master Glacer 7 Ultimate 64 SyncMaster Eclipse 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
XFX 1050 BE 600T Silver MX518 Desk 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-4330 Z87 Gryphon GTX690 G.Skill RipJawsX 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
WD Blacks Hyper 212 W8.1 ACER 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Ultra X3 1000w Corsair 230T Orange Razer 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by XFreeRollerX View Post
I have known about ATI Tool since the Beta .25 - i didnt realize it would work even after the driver failed to install.

And I dont treat hardware like crap... More like my baby as my system is running me over $2200 now. And being in college, thats not easy money!
I hear ya, money is hard to come by, especially when one is still in school/college. I wasn't really pointing a finger at anyone with the "treat hardware like crap" comment, but please do be carefull with your baby! It would be a shame to see such a great card go to waste due to not having tested the settings correctly.

Hope the other info helps you out a bit..

I followed this guideline when I overclocked mine. Up untill the hardware modification part at least .
http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=get...188&howtoID=72
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Wolfdale E8500 4.1 @ 1.34v Asus P5E-iX38 Rampage Bios 0403 Asus EN8800GTX 659/1535/2100 2x Crucial Ballistix BLKIT12864AA1065 (4GB) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x Seagate Barricuda 7200.10 250GB + 1x500GB Samsung Writemaster DVD-RW Windows XP Pro 64Bits LG Flatron L2000CE, 1400x1050 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Gamer (Blue backlight) Coolermaster Real Power Pro RS850w Coolermaster Stacker 832 Logitech G5 
Mouse Pad
Everglide Titan 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Wolfdale E8500 4.1 @ 1.34v Asus P5E-iX38 Rampage Bios 0403 Asus EN8800GTX 659/1535/2100 2x Crucial Ballistix BLKIT12864AA1065 (4GB) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x Seagate Barricuda 7200.10 250GB + 1x500GB Samsung Writemaster DVD-RW Windows XP Pro 64Bits LG Flatron L2000CE, 1400x1050 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Gamer (Blue backlight) Coolermaster Real Power Pro RS850w Coolermaster Stacker 832 Logitech G5 
Mouse Pad
Everglide Titan 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceLover View Post
Hey man, you'll want AtiTool to "artifact scan" your overclock. If you get yellow blocks (artifacts) within 2 hours, reduce your OC. Otherwise, it's safe to say it's stable.
When OCing the gpu, I run it for 10min to check its stability, and when i find what I think to be the max doing that, I leave it for a few hours just to be sure. Also, for 3dmark runs, it doesn't have to be completely artifact-free.
Dark Helmet
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 G0 @ 3.4ghz, 1.39v DFI LP UT P35-T2R XFX 6970 4gb G.Skill PC8000, 2gb G.Skill PC8500 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
OCZ Vertex 2 60gb, WD Black 1tb, Samsung F1 1tb Windows 7 x64 Samsung 206bw Razer Tarantula 
PowerCaseMouse
Seasonic X650 Antec P182 Razer DeathAdder 
  hide details  
Reply
Dark Helmet
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 G0 @ 3.4ghz, 1.39v DFI LP UT P35-T2R XFX 6970 4gb G.Skill PC8000, 2gb G.Skill PC8500 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
OCZ Vertex 2 60gb, WD Black 1tb, Samsung F1 1tb Windows 7 x64 Samsung 206bw Razer Tarantula 
PowerCaseMouse
Seasonic X650 Antec P182 Razer DeathAdder 
  hide details  
Reply
post #20 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceLover View Post
I hear ya, money is hard to come by, especially when one is still in school/college. I wasn't really pointing a finger at anyone with the "treat hardware like crap" comment, but please do be carefull with your baby! It would be a shame to see such a great card go to waste due to not having tested the settings correctly.

Hope the other info helps you out a bit..

I followed this guideline when I overclocked mine. Up untill the hardware modification part at least .
http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=get...188&howtoID=72
Info helps alot - and yeah Im reading up on the guides as i type this
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehpwnerofn00bs View Post
When OCing the gpu, I run it for 10min to check its stability, and when i find what I think to be the max doing that, I leave it for a few hours just to be sure. Also, for 3dmark runs, it doesn't have to be completely artifact-free.
Ive noticed that... Kinda lame IMO
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom 9950 Black Edition @ 3.0Ghz Gigabyte mATX 785G? HD3200 IGP *Passively cooled* 2x1GB WINTEC Crap, 2x2GB Patriot | DDR2 800 1.9v 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Western Digital AAKS Series 500GB Windows 7 Enterprise x64 Custom Cooked for SPEED Samsung 58" B650 1080p Plasma Logitech DiNovo Mini 
PowerCaseMouse
Silverstone 350Watt Silent PSU Cooler Master 590 Logitech DiNovo Mini 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom 9950 Black Edition @ 3.0Ghz Gigabyte mATX 785G? HD3200 IGP *Passively cooled* 2x1GB WINTEC Crap, 2x2GB Patriot | DDR2 800 1.9v 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Western Digital AAKS Series 500GB Windows 7 Enterprise x64 Custom Cooked for SPEED Samsung 58" B650 1080p Plasma Logitech DiNovo Mini 
PowerCaseMouse
Silverstone 350Watt Silent PSU Cooler Master 590 Logitech DiNovo Mini 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: NVIDIA
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › 8800GTX Overclocking help