Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › 8800GT vs 8800GTS vs 9600GT?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

8800GT vs 8800GTS vs 9600GT? - Page 4

post #31 of 47
Thread Starter 
heres the current pricing for the cards:

8800GT/9800GT: £100/$200
HD4850: £120/$240
9800GTS: £150/$300
8800GTS:£150+...why its still so expensive i dunno?
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 4Ghz/35C Idle/55C Load 1.29vIdle/1.28vLoad Gigabyte EP35-DS3R Sapphire Radeon HD4850 690/1075/43C idle 2x2GB G.Skill PC2-8500/1066mhz/2.0v/5-5-5-15 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD Raptor 74gb, WD Caviar 230GB 7200rpm SATA Samsung DVDRW/CD Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit 19" Dell Monitor 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Eclipse Blue Hiper HPU-4M630 630W Power Supply Antec Nine Hundred Logitech laser 800dpi 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 4Ghz/35C Idle/55C Load 1.29vIdle/1.28vLoad Gigabyte EP35-DS3R Sapphire Radeon HD4850 690/1075/43C idle 2x2GB G.Skill PC2-8500/1066mhz/2.0v/5-5-5-15 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD Raptor 74gb, WD Caviar 230GB 7200rpm SATA Samsung DVDRW/CD Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit 19" Dell Monitor 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Eclipse Blue Hiper HPU-4M630 630W Power Supply Antec Nine Hundred Logitech laser 800dpi 
  hide details  
Reply
post #32 of 47
You can get 9800GT's for £119 now.. and the 9600GT's for around £90..

The reason the 8800GTS is still pricy is because it beats the 9600GT and is very close if not level to the 9800GT in msot games - the 8800GTS was/is a super maxed card that was a leap in tech at the time.
The leap from the 8800 series to the 9000 series cards this time isnt much of a leap.

To get the leap in perf this time you have to goto the 200 series cards like the gtx260/280

Nemes
My Baby
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.6GHz Gigabyte GA73 nForce 610i XFX Nvidia GTX260 XXX 4gig PNY PC6400 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
SATA 230G / 2X 80G Raid0 Vista Ultimate x64 LCD 22" @ 1680 / 1050 CoolerMaster Extreme Power Duo 650W 
MouseMouse Pad
Genius Laser Gaming Mouse Genius Pro Fine 
  hide details  
Reply
My Baby
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.6GHz Gigabyte GA73 nForce 610i XFX Nvidia GTX260 XXX 4gig PNY PC6400 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
SATA 230G / 2X 80G Raid0 Vista Ultimate x64 LCD 22" @ 1680 / 1050 CoolerMaster Extreme Power Duo 650W 
MouseMouse Pad
Genius Laser Gaming Mouse Genius Pro Fine 
  hide details  
Reply
post #33 of 47
doh..nm ur on the isle
4F@H
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 2600K MSI P67A GD65 B3 EVGA GTX 480 SSC+ FTW 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 1.5V 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Spinpoint F3 LiteOn DVD-RW H70 w/ 2 AP15 Win7 Pro 64 bit 
MonitorPowerCase
E230H 23" 16:9 NZXT Hale82 850 Xigmatek Asgard Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
4F@H
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 2600K MSI P67A GD65 B3 EVGA GTX 480 SSC+ FTW 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 1.5V 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Spinpoint F3 LiteOn DVD-RW H70 w/ 2 AP15 Win7 Pro 64 bit 
MonitorPowerCase
E230H 23" 16:9 NZXT Hale82 850 Xigmatek Asgard Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #34 of 47
Asus 8800GTS for £111
XFX 8800GTS 512 £105

1st) 8800GTS 512 (it's a underclocked version of the 9800GTX)
2nd) 8800GT 512
3rd) 9600GT

I would look at a 9600GSO they have more steam processor and can perform better than a 9600GT,

The best Overclocking card out of them lot is
8800GTS 512 it has a great stock heatsink and fan compare to the others

If you can get the cash go for a 8800GTS 512 great card and still hold there own with the big boys like HD4850 and 9800GTX
Edited by SickStew - 9/19/08 at 12:44am
post #35 of 47
The GTS has more SP's ..once its OC'd it should outperform the 9800GT. If you know how to hardmod.. you could pick up the 8800GT and have yourself a screaming OC and some lbs. in the pocket!

As for the 9600 ..dont waste your time. Even heavily vmod'd it can only perform on par with a 8800.. the more SP's the better.. period.
post #36 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by CL3P20 View Post
The GTS has more SP's ..once its OC'd it should outperform the 9800GT. If you know how to hardmod.. you could pick up the 8800GT and have yourself a screaming OC and some lbs. in the pocket!

As for the 9600 ..dont waste your time. Even heavily vmod'd it can only perform on par with a 8800.. the more SP's the better.. period.
don't you mean the 9800GTX the 8800GTS will kill a 9800GT its just a re named 8800GT
post #37 of 47
Two of these in SLI might be better at lower res due to the small memory

8800GT 256MB SLI
post #38 of 47
get an open box hd 4850 for $140
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E5200 @ 3.85 ghz GA-EP35 D3SL MSI HD 4850 Ballistix Tracer@ ddr1040mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
500 gb seagate XP pro Acer 22" OCZ Steathxstream 600 watt 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech MX518 Wowpad 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E5200 @ 3.85 ghz GA-EP35 D3SL MSI HD 4850 Ballistix Tracer@ ddr1040mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
500 gb seagate XP pro Acer 22" OCZ Steathxstream 600 watt 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech MX518 Wowpad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #39 of 47
Quote:
don't you mean the 9800GTX the 8800GTS will kill a 9800GT its just a re named 8800GT
Almost.. the 9800GT has much higher stock clocks than a 8800GT.. and higher still than a 8800GTS [some manufacturers cards]. From what I have seen the 9800GT and the 8800GTS are pretty neck-and-neck at stock clocks.. but OC'd the GTS pulls away due to more SP's than the 9800GT. So your right in a sense.. yes the 9800GT is a re-branded 8800GT.. but with higher stock clocks for core/shader/mem... if you had a vmod'd 8800GT.. performance would be almost identical..especially with full CUDA support now for the 8xxx series GPU's [something previously reserved for the 9xxx cards].

Of course the GTX is superior..that is kind of a no-brainer
post #40 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by CL3P20 View Post
Almost.. the 9800GT has much higher stock clocks than a 8800GT.. and higher still than a 8800GTS [some manufacturers cards]. From what I have seen the 9800GT and the 8800GTS are pretty neck-and-neck at stock clocks.. but OC'd the GTS pulls away due to more SP's than the 9800GT. So your right in a sense.. yes the 9800GT is a re-branded 8800GT.. but with higher stock clocks for core/shader/mem... if you had a vmod'd 8800GT.. performance would be almost identical..especially with full CUDA support now for the 8xxx series GPU's [something previously reserved for the 9xxx cards].

Of course the GTX is superior..that is kind of a no-brainer
LOL check a site call GPUreview.com backs my case up about the great 8800GTS
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: NVIDIA
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › 8800GT vs 8800GTS vs 9600GT?