Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › Which 8600GTS? Help!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Which 8600GTS? Help! - Page 4

post #31 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5CheeseLasagna View Post
Hmm. How misleading of them to make a PCI-E 2.0 x16! lol
Not really misleading, I guess they just dont want people to overlook the 2.0 cards due to the perception that they are somehow incompatible with PCI-E x16.
Laptop Goodness
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 T5450 1.67ghz PM965 8800m GTS 512mb 4gb PC5300 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
250gb WD Scorpio DVD+/-RW/DL/RAM Drive Vista Premium 32bit 17" 1440x900 
PowerCase
AC Adaptor Sexy 
  hide details  
Reply
Laptop Goodness
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 T5450 1.67ghz PM965 8800m GTS 512mb 4gb PC5300 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
250gb WD Scorpio DVD+/-RW/DL/RAM Drive Vista Premium 32bit 17" 1440x900 
PowerCase
AC Adaptor Sexy 
  hide details  
Reply
post #32 of 64
I hear the X1950Pro can be had for the same price now. I'd look into it.
GameOn....
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3570 K AsRock 77 Edition 4 Sapphire 7850 2gb 8G GSkill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
SEA 1TB, 7200 64 Lite-On / Samsung 22x 7 64 Samsung P2770, 27" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Corsair 650TX NXZT Tempest Razor Death Adder 
Mouse PadAudio
XTRAC Ripper Logitech 5 channel 
  hide details  
Reply
GameOn....
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3570 K AsRock 77 Edition 4 Sapphire 7850 2gb 8G GSkill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
SEA 1TB, 7200 64 Lite-On / Samsung 22x 7 64 Samsung P2770, 27" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Corsair 650TX NXZT Tempest Razor Death Adder 
Mouse PadAudio
XTRAC Ripper Logitech 5 channel 
  hide details  
Reply
post #33 of 64
Thread Starter 
I did some quick browsing on NewEgg and I found 2 that are somewhere near that new $134.99 budget (thanks to me remembering that I have an extra $25 to play with), but I was greedy this time (again, blue means "after shipping"):

EVGA 8800GS 384MB 192-bit GDDR3 PCI-E 2.0 for $154.99, $160.83, which would bring me to $772.73 before any MIR's. That should leave me with $20 to live on for a few days.


Then there's this one:

XFX 8800GS 384MB 192-bit GDDR3 PCI-E 2.0 for $149.99 (yeah, free shipping!), which would bring me to $761.89, before any MIR's. That leaves me with around $30 to live on for a few days.

I have to admit, I don't know which one's the better choice besides the obvious difference in price. I've heard more good things about EVGA than I have about XFX, which further complicates my decision. Furthermore, I like that this 8800GS by EVGA is in their 90-Day Step-Up Program (I'm assuming that means that, after 90 days, I can get a discount on a better card)! Oh, the agony.

Now, here's my concern: will my choice of a PSU be able to power an 8800GS AND an oc'd e2180 and those mushkins? How about instead of the e2180, an OC'd E6850 or E8400, one of which I will get over the summer, fall or winter (whenever I can afford it basically)?

I have this feeling I'm going to need a 600w cpu...
post #34 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeevy View Post
it all depends on which gt and gts u buy. the evga ones have 512mb but the xfx with faster clocks only have 256mb. i personally have the 8600gt xx and i mostly play css it it is amazing on high detail ZERO lag. i play crysis on low for good performance, but it can handle medium. remember that with a 256mb u will be limited, like for crysis a 256 is the MINIMUM required. more and more games coming out are more graphically demanding, including having more ram.
You can only play Crysis on Medium? At what resolution?

That's strange since I can get Crysis to run playable with everything on high and shaders on med on my rig and we have similar cpu and ram specs. This is on 1440x900.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4000+ X2 Brisbane @ 2.9ghz Biostart Tforce 550se msi 9600gt oc 4g g-skill ddr2 800 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
750gb (1x250, 1x500) xp & vista 28" 1920x1200 Antec 650w Neopower 
Case
Xion 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4000+ X2 Brisbane @ 2.9ghz Biostart Tforce 550se msi 9600gt oc 4g g-skill ddr2 800 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
750gb (1x250, 1x500) xp & vista 28" 1920x1200 Antec 650w Neopower 
Case
Xion 
  hide details  
Reply
post #35 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5CheeseLasagna View Post
I did some quick browsing on NewEgg and I found 2 that are somewhere near that new $134.99 budget (thanks to me remembering that I have an extra $25 to play with), but I was greedy this time (again, blue means "after shipping"):

EVGA 8800GS 384MB 192-bit GDDR3 PCI-E 2.0 for $154.99, $160.83, which would bring me to $772.73 before any MIR's. That should leave me with $20 to live on for a few days.


Then there's this one:

XFX 8800GS 384MB 192-bit GDDR3 PCI-E 2.0 for $149.99 (yeah, free shipping!), which would bring me to $761.89, before any MIR's. That leaves me with around $30 to live on for a few days.

I have to admit, I don't know which one's the better choice besides the obvious difference in price. I've heard more good things about EVGA than I have about XFX, which further complicates my decision. Furthermore, I like that this 8800GS by EVGA is in their 90-Day Step-Up Program (I'm assuming that means that, after 90 days, I can get a discount on a better card)! Oh, the agony.

Now, here's my concern: will my choice of a PSU be able to power an 8800GS AND an oc'd e2180 and those mushkins? How about instead of the e2180, an OC'd E6850 or E8400, one of which I will get over the summer, fall or winter (whenever I can afford it basically)?

I have this feeling I'm going to need a 600w cpu...
trust me, that corsair will do awesome

and as for the 8800gs. Does the fact that you can stepup justify the $20 difference? If so go for the evga then
Laptop Goodness
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 T5450 1.67ghz PM965 8800m GTS 512mb 4gb PC5300 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
250gb WD Scorpio DVD+/-RW/DL/RAM Drive Vista Premium 32bit 17" 1440x900 
PowerCase
AC Adaptor Sexy 
  hide details  
Reply
Laptop Goodness
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 T5450 1.67ghz PM965 8800m GTS 512mb 4gb PC5300 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
250gb WD Scorpio DVD+/-RW/DL/RAM Drive Vista Premium 32bit 17" 1440x900 
PowerCase
AC Adaptor Sexy 
  hide details  
Reply
post #36 of 64
5Cheese: FYI (regarding your first post) the 8600GTS 256MB will perform ~17% better than the 8600GT 256MB in games. This VGA Chart from Tom's Hardware factors in a multitude of games, compares performance, and averages it. (The GT and GTS are highlighted in blue).

The cards you linked to on post #1 are both "SSC" versions though - so they'll both perform better, obviously. But the relative difference should be approximately the same.

EDIT: You're going for the 8800GS 384MB now? If you are, good.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q6600 G0 @ 3.6GHz (lapped) EVGA 780i SLI FTW @ 1600MHz FSB 2 x EVGA 8800GTX 768MB (SLI) @ 625/1500/2000MHz 2x2GB G.Skill PC2-8000 PQ @ 800MHz (linked to FSB) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x160GB WD RAID 0, 750GB Samsung Spinpoint F1 LITE-ON 20X SATA DVD/CD RW Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Viewsonic VA2702w 27" LCD 1920x1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Value 100 (beer magnet) Corsair TX 750W Cooler Master ATCS 840 Logitech SBF-90 (cheapest one on Newegg) 
Mouse Pad
Some kinda rubber thing (beer magnet) 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q6600 G0 @ 3.6GHz (lapped) EVGA 780i SLI FTW @ 1600MHz FSB 2 x EVGA 8800GTX 768MB (SLI) @ 625/1500/2000MHz 2x2GB G.Skill PC2-8000 PQ @ 800MHz (linked to FSB) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x160GB WD RAID 0, 750GB Samsung Spinpoint F1 LITE-ON 20X SATA DVD/CD RW Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Viewsonic VA2702w 27" LCD 1920x1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Value 100 (beer magnet) Corsair TX 750W Cooler Master ATCS 840 Logitech SBF-90 (cheapest one on Newegg) 
Mouse Pad
Some kinda rubber thing (beer magnet) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #37 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5CheeseLasagna View Post
Below is the complete build list. The blue prices are the cost after shipping. As you no doubt have guessed, the gray'd out items are already purchased. The Tuniq Tower, DVD Burner, and CPU are all scheduled to arrive tomorrow. The DVD drive is scheduled to arrive Friday. Yeah. I'm extremely excited! But I can't buy all 5 of the remaining items before April. Some things must remain behind until then. The video card is definitely one of them. The other will probably be the HDD, but this thread is about the video card, so nevermind.
  • Cooler Master 690 at ChiefValue.com $89.98
  • Corsair 550vx at Provantage.com $88.64
  • ASUS P5N-E SLI 650i from another OCN member $85 (will purchase quite soon, possibly over the weekend)
  • E2180 from Gollie$50
  • Tuniq Tower at NewEgg.com $46.32
  • mushkin HP series 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 800 4-5-4-11 at NewEgg.com $56.99
  • 250GB SATA Barracuda OEM at NewEgg.com $69.99
  • BFG Tech 8600GTS 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 at NewEgg.com $115.83 -$25.00 MIR = $90.83
  • X-Fi Xtreme Gamer at NewEgg.com $86.68 -$30.00 MIR = $56.68
  • Samsung SATA 20x DVD±R OEM at NewEgg.com $29.99
  • ASUS 16X SATA DVD-ROM (48X CD-ROM) OEM at NewEgg.com $24.83
  • Final cost: before rebates: $752.73 -$25.00 = $727.73 -$55 in MIR's = $672.73
I plan on overclocking the CPU and memory as high as I can to get the most value out of this system (this statement is for the context of the PSU, which I'll refer to later).

The extra $25 off is from a NewEgg Customer Service Professional. I had a negative first experience with NewEgg through e-mail, then I complained about it here on OCN last week. A day later, Alex posted a quick message telling me to call or e-mail him for further assistance, and the $25 off my next order is the result. I've already used it.

My budget is $792. This literally means that I can't go over it. Not even by 50¢. The farther under it, the better. I really like where it is right now, and I am afraid to go much higher. But that's okay because the beauty of this is once this rig is built, I will finally be free to upgrade for hopefully at least a couple of years! I simply cannot (and will not) upgrade my sig rig, and I'm just fed up with using it. It's even too slow when this rig exceeds the Recommended System Requirements of modern software! They don't even consider a computer like mine anymore. lol

I have to admit though, ever since Alex told me yesterday that I get $25 off my next order, I sorta just forgot about it after I made my next order. And so I wasn't thinking about my extra $25 when I made this thread.

So, I'm kinda wondering: with that PSU, what video card can or should I get for $25 more? And by $25 more, I mean not counting MIR's.


Thank you for reading all of this.

Thats a Decent build mate! I have some customers looking into Budget builds! I'll recomend them that!
The New New
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8320 Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 GTX 970 G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series (2 x 4GB) 2133mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
SAMSUNG 840 pro 250gb SSD 2x 500 GB Seagate 7200.12 Raid 0 Samsung OEM 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2x Asus VN247 Logitech G105 Thermaltake Toughpower Gold 750W Antec Nine Hundred 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G5 Razer Vespula 
  hide details  
Reply
The New New
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8320 Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 GTX 970 G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series (2 x 4GB) 2133mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
SAMSUNG 840 pro 250gb SSD 2x 500 GB Seagate 7200.12 Raid 0 Samsung OEM 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2x Asus VN247 Logitech G105 Thermaltake Toughpower Gold 750W Antec Nine Hundred 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G5 Razer Vespula 
  hide details  
Reply
post #38 of 64
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BxAlbo1 View Post
trust me, that corsair will do awesome

and as for the 8800gs. Does the fact that you can stepup justify the $20 difference? If so go for the evga then
Well, I guess it justifies it. But they say that I must purchase the card, send them the invoice of the purchase, ship them the trade-in card, and then they will ship me the new one.

So, I'd be without a video card for a while if I participated in the Step-Up Program, right?

I think it would make much more sense if I bought the new one off NewEgg, showed them the invoice, shipped the trade-in card on the same day of receiving the new one from NewEgg, and then just wait for my reimbursement.

So, I don't know. If these two cards are identical except for the brand and that Step-Up program, then I'll go with the XFX should I have to be without a video card while waiting for a new one to be "shipped from EVGA".
post #39 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5CheeseLasagna View Post
Well, I guess it justifies it. But they say that I must purchase the card, send them the invoice of the purchase, ship them the trade-in card, and then they will ship me the new one.

So, I'd be without a video card for a while if I participated in the Step-Up Program, right?

I think it would make much more sense if I bought the new one off NewEgg, showed them the invoice, shipped the trade-in card on the same day of receiving the new one from NewEgg, and then just wait for my reimbursement.

So, I don't know. If these two cards are identical except for the brand and that Step-Up program, then I'll go with the XFX should I have to be without a video card while waiting for a new one to be "shipped from EVGA".
the XFX is also clocked higher i believe. they have a double lifetime warranty that woould cover the next owner if you intend on selling it, thus increasing the resale value. the warranty also covers oc damage.
Laptop Goodness
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 T5450 1.67ghz PM965 8800m GTS 512mb 4gb PC5300 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
250gb WD Scorpio DVD+/-RW/DL/RAM Drive Vista Premium 32bit 17" 1440x900 
PowerCase
AC Adaptor Sexy 
  hide details  
Reply
Laptop Goodness
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 T5450 1.67ghz PM965 8800m GTS 512mb 4gb PC5300 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
250gb WD Scorpio DVD+/-RW/DL/RAM Drive Vista Premium 32bit 17" 1440x900 
PowerCase
AC Adaptor Sexy 
  hide details  
Reply
post #40 of 64
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeJay1337 View Post
Thats a Decent build mate! I have some customers looking into Budget builds! I'll recomend them that!
Thank you, DeeJay! I worked pretty hard on it, and I still am.

That price wouldn't be possible without two OCN members selling me the CPU and the mobo, and without Alex, the NewEgg Customer Service Professional, giving me $25.00 off my [most recent] NewEgg purchase for my negative first experience with NewEgg, which was via e-mail. Otherwise, it would be closer to $830 or so with the the EVGA 8600GT that's going for $79.99 after a MIR.

I'm glad that my hard work can benefit somebody else. That's such an awesome feeling! Thank you for letting me know you're recommending this build, DeeJay!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: NVIDIA
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › Which 8600GTS? Help!