Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [bit-tech.net]Piracy 'sales' charts on games
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[bit-tech.net]Piracy 'sales' charts on games - Page 11

post #101 of 203
They do loose money, because if people are pirating the games then they do not buy it from the stores. Which then in return do not buy more games from the distributers, which means that the devs dont make as much money as they would, in order to restock.

So yes, money is lost in the process. Whether its the dev's, the distributer's, or the vendor's.... it doesnt matter.

Anyways - I still say all game devs either go STEAM's way, EA's way, or no way at all.
Nemesis NE-α
(15 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 4790k (Devil's Canyon) AsRock Z97 Extreme 4 Visiontek AMD 6990 Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung EVO 840 XSPC Raystorm Windows 8.1 Dell U2311H 1920x1080 IPS 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell U2311H 1920x1080 IPS Dell U2311H 1920x1080 IPS Ducky Blue Overclock.net Themed Mechanical Keyb... Corsair Silver 1kw  
CaseMouseAudio
Case Labs TH10 Logitech G502 Logitech 5.1 speakers w/ Onkyo Receiver 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon W3520 i7 4.0ghz EVGA X58 Classified Visiontek 6990 GSkill 6GB DDR3 Pi 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x OCZ Vertex 60GB SSD ; 2x 1TB ; 2x 2TB Samsung BluRay Burner Windows 7 Ultimate 64x 3x Dell U2311H 23" 1080p IPS 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard SilverStone Strider 1000w Modular Power Supply Lian Li V2000 Plus Logitech G9 Gaming Laser Mouse 
Mouse Pad
Cyba Sniper Tracer (Acrylic Glass) 
  hide details  
Reply
Nemesis NE-α
(15 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 4790k (Devil's Canyon) AsRock Z97 Extreme 4 Visiontek AMD 6990 Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung EVO 840 XSPC Raystorm Windows 8.1 Dell U2311H 1920x1080 IPS 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell U2311H 1920x1080 IPS Dell U2311H 1920x1080 IPS Ducky Blue Overclock.net Themed Mechanical Keyb... Corsair Silver 1kw  
CaseMouseAudio
Case Labs TH10 Logitech G502 Logitech 5.1 speakers w/ Onkyo Receiver 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon W3520 i7 4.0ghz EVGA X58 Classified Visiontek 6990 GSkill 6GB DDR3 Pi 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x OCZ Vertex 60GB SSD ; 2x 1TB ; 2x 2TB Samsung BluRay Burner Windows 7 Ultimate 64x 3x Dell U2311H 23" 1080p IPS 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard SilverStone Strider 1000w Modular Power Supply Lian Li V2000 Plus Logitech G9 Gaming Laser Mouse 
Mouse Pad
Cyba Sniper Tracer (Acrylic Glass) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #102 of 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuNkDrSpOt View Post
After the epic fail that was The Matrix The Game, Grand Turismo 4 and NBA 2k7 ( everyone bricks layups in that game, it's so frustrating if your main character cant dunk ) I think that if i had an opportunity to try before i buy, i definitely would.
It's called renting. You should try it some time.

And what the hell is with people having stuck "o" keys? I say they are stuck, because it can't be that that many of you can't tell the difference between "lose" and "loose."
BladeRunner v3.0
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-5930K @ 4.6GHz Core, 4.4GHz Cache ASUS X99 Sabertooth Sapphire R9 380 Dual-X OC G.Skill TridentZ 32GB DDR4 @ 13-15-13-33-1T 320... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Samsung 850 Pro 512GB Noctua NH-D15S Windows 10 Home 64-bit Logitech G910 Orion Spark 
PowerCaseMouse
EVGA SuperNova 1000W T2 NZXT Phantom 820 Black Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
BladeRunner v3.0
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-5930K @ 4.6GHz Core, 4.4GHz Cache ASUS X99 Sabertooth Sapphire R9 380 Dual-X OC G.Skill TridentZ 32GB DDR4 @ 13-15-13-33-1T 320... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Samsung 850 Pro 512GB Noctua NH-D15S Windows 10 Home 64-bit Logitech G910 Orion Spark 
PowerCaseMouse
EVGA SuperNova 1000W T2 NZXT Phantom 820 Black Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #103 of 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianGrimmReaper View Post
My computer cost me $4500(approx). Let's say I want to sell it used; $3750-$3500 is about what it is worth. If I said I wanted to sell my computer right now for $10,000, but only received $4000, did I lose money, or did I not receive what I was not justified to receive? I did not have that money to begin with, who can say it was mine?

I get paid at my job on an hourly basis, if I come in for 20 hours a week, and get paid $10.00 an hour, I make $200.00. If I come into work 15 hours for one week, did I lose money, or did I not EARN money.
Pirates are disillusion in their attempt to justify their thievery.
System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2500k ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen 3 AMD 7970 16GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel 520 256GB SATA DVD Burner Windows 7 64 bit Deal U2410 
KeyboardPowerMouse
Adesso Mechanical Silverstone OP650 Logitech G700 
  hide details  
Reply
System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2500k ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen 3 AMD 7970 16GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel 520 256GB SATA DVD Burner Windows 7 64 bit Deal U2410 
KeyboardPowerMouse
Adesso Mechanical Silverstone OP650 Logitech G700 
  hide details  
Reply
post #104 of 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cait Sith Cat View Post
I cannot draw a direct argument to that statement except to say I don't believe a correlation exists. I do not defend your statement with my logic, though I can't prove that I don't via an analogy.

iandh, don't you dare badger me about insults. You have no space to criticize me. pauldovi at least posed a challenge to my proposal.
I've had a solid opinion all along, that your only response to has been nasty posts and cheap insults. My jabs were originally directed at the pirate populace as a whole, which you then decided to include yourself in.

You took offense to blanket statements that I made, accused me of trolling for stating my opinion, and then began badgering me with insults. This is pure bicker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cait Sith Cat View Post
I get a picture of a girl before I buy her ANYTHING. If I like how she tastes, I'll pay for it.

If I had a replicator and cloned a gallon of purchased gas for my truck, did I steal a gallon of gas?

It's morally ambiguous, not a clear line.
Depends on whether using replicated gas is illegal.
post #105 of 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianGrimmReaper View Post
My computer cost me $4500(approx). Let's say I want to sell it used; $3750-$3500 is about what it is worth. If I said I wanted to sell my computer right now for $10,000, but only received $4000, did I lose money, or did I not receive what I was not justified to receive? I did not have that money to begin with, who can say it was mine?

I get paid at my job on an hourly basis, if I come in for 20 hours a week, and get paid $10.00 an hour, I make $200.00. If I come into work 15 hours for one week, did I lose money, or did I not EARN money.
Horrible analogy homie.

Now, if you came in and worked 20 hrs and your work only paid you for 10 hrs, under your very own analogy you've still made money so it's all good that your job shorts you on purpose. However, you are still owed due to your hard work and time. Same thing with software developers. Just cause people don't physically see the money being spent in the form of cd's, instruction booklets and other stuff doesn't mean that there isn't considerable investment, time and resources being used to create a game you just stole.

Stealing is stealing. If you've illegally obtained a copy, it's stealing. period.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PII x4 965 Asus m3a79-T Sapphire TOXIC 5850 OCZ Reaper 2x2gb DDR 1066 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Stupid Vista Samsung 2494SW OCZ GameXstream 700w Corsair 600T 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PII x4 965 Asus m3a79-T Sapphire TOXIC 5850 OCZ Reaper 2x2gb DDR 1066 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Stupid Vista Samsung 2494SW OCZ GameXstream 700w Corsair 600T 
  hide details  
Reply
post #106 of 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldovi View Post
Well then you are dense.

You claim it is okay to steel from a software developer because they are not out one copy and because it isn't a physical object.

Having a service done (like a repairman fixing your bathroom) results in no physical object and he is not out one copy.
A plumber, in your example, entered an agreement with me and only me explicitly before I take his service. A game developer makes a game and hopes people like it. Their time was not spent on ME, and I never agreed before the fact that I would purchase their product.

I don't know what 'steeling' from something is. If you meant to say 'steal', then you are once again putting words in my mouth. It isn't stealing.



Thought some lolcat would cheer things up.

Edit: Funkdrspot: His second analogy was actually understandable. If he works 20 hours when he could have worked 25, he didn't lose 5 hours of pay, he just didn't get it. It's opportunity cost. Read my previous posts for more.
post #107 of 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargate125645 View Post
It's called renting. You should try it some time.

And what the hell is with people having stuck "o" keys? I say they are stuck, because it can't be that that many of you can't tell the difference between "lose" and "loose."
LoL, it wasn't me that misspelled 'losing'.

I do rent but how many blockbusters stock PC games?
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PII x4 965 Asus m3a79-T Sapphire TOXIC 5850 OCZ Reaper 2x2gb DDR 1066 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Stupid Vista Samsung 2494SW OCZ GameXstream 700w Corsair 600T 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PII x4 965 Asus m3a79-T Sapphire TOXIC 5850 OCZ Reaper 2x2gb DDR 1066 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Stupid Vista Samsung 2494SW OCZ GameXstream 700w Corsair 600T 
  hide details  
Reply
post #108 of 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuNkDrSpOt View Post
LoL, it wasn't me that misspelled 'losing'.

I do rent but how many blockbusters stock PC games?
Yeah, I know you weren't one of the dozens who have done it, but if I had quoted someone then they would whine that I was targeting them. I just can't win!
BladeRunner v3.0
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-5930K @ 4.6GHz Core, 4.4GHz Cache ASUS X99 Sabertooth Sapphire R9 380 Dual-X OC G.Skill TridentZ 32GB DDR4 @ 13-15-13-33-1T 320... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Samsung 850 Pro 512GB Noctua NH-D15S Windows 10 Home 64-bit Logitech G910 Orion Spark 
PowerCaseMouse
EVGA SuperNova 1000W T2 NZXT Phantom 820 Black Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
BladeRunner v3.0
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-5930K @ 4.6GHz Core, 4.4GHz Cache ASUS X99 Sabertooth Sapphire R9 380 Dual-X OC G.Skill TridentZ 32GB DDR4 @ 13-15-13-33-1T 320... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Samsung 850 Pro 512GB Noctua NH-D15S Windows 10 Home 64-bit Logitech G910 Orion Spark 
PowerCaseMouse
EVGA SuperNova 1000W T2 NZXT Phantom 820 Black Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #109 of 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldovi View Post
Pirates are disillusion in their attempt to justify their thievery.
don't group pirates as a whole. I've said it and some other people here have as well.

I don't want to spend $50 on a game that doesn't work or just flat out sucks.

I don't have to justify myself because someone tries to assume they know my reasoning or lack of
Sunfire
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6300 @3.1 ASUS P5B Galaxy 8800gt 512 4gb g skill pc8000+ 4gb 6400 ballistix 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
500gb+640gb LG super multi Vista home premium 64bit Dell S2309W 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Corsair HX520 Antec P182 G5 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries pad 
  hide details  
Reply
Sunfire
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6300 @3.1 ASUS P5B Galaxy 8800gt 512 4gb g skill pc8000+ 4gb 6400 ballistix 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
500gb+640gb LG super multi Vista home premium 64bit Dell S2309W 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Corsair HX520 Antec P182 G5 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries pad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #110 of 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuNkDrSpOt View Post
Horrible analogy homie.

Now, if you came in and worked 20 hrs and your work only paid you for 10 hrs, under your very own analogy you've still made money so it's all good that your job shorts you on purpose. However, you are still owed due to your hard work and time. Same thing with software developers. Just cause people don't physically see the money being spent in the form of cd's, instruction booklets and other stuff doesn't mean that there isn't considerable investment, time and resources being used to create a game you just stole.

Stealing is stealing. If you've illegally obtained a copy, it's stealing. period.
I get paid for what I do, I don't expect to be paid more. Devs make many times more than what they spend to create a game. They spend 15-25 million to make the game, and sell 8-10 million copies each costing $50.00. Last time I checked, that is a lot more money than what they spent. If they break even, is anyone really hurt?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Software News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [bit-tech.net]Piracy 'sales' charts on games