Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [bit-tech.net]Piracy 'sales' charts on games
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[bit-tech.net]Piracy 'sales' charts on games - Page 6

post #51 of 203
I just read every post. And i agree to most of it...

One question i have is:

If i don't want to pay for whatever game because i don't have the money to pay for it, or i just don't want to spend the money, and later i have an option to download it for free and do it, are they still loosing money even though i would never buy the game to begin with??

I know that this really isnt a fair question, but it plays on what duckieo was saying about the 'good' games carrying the company through the not so good games.

Who's decision is it that makes a game 'good'?? isn't this the consumer to decide? What happens when the same consumer says, "i don't think this game is worth $50. I'm going to download it instead."

I know there's no answer, but something to consider when game marketing tells us whats good or bad, and the consumers say other wise...
good enough
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6600 3ghz Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L 9800GT 2x2gb fatility DDR2 1066 
Hard DriveOSMonitorMouse
2 x 74gb raptor raid0 win7 64bit Samsung 245BW Razer 3G diamondback 
Mouse Pad
glass core pad 
  hide details  
Reply
good enough
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6600 3ghz Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L 9800GT 2x2gb fatility DDR2 1066 
Hard DriveOSMonitorMouse
2 x 74gb raptor raid0 win7 64bit Samsung 245BW Razer 3G diamondback 
Mouse Pad
glass core pad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #52 of 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoBlo69 View Post
I just read every post. And i agree to most of it...

One question i have is:

If i don't want to pay for whatever game because i don't have the money to pay for it, or i just don't want to spend the money, and later i have an option to download it for free and do it, are they still loosing money even though i would never buy the game to begin with??

I know that this really isnt a fair question, but it plays on what duckieo was saying about the 'good' games carrying the company through the not so good games.

Who's decision is it that makes a game 'good'?? isn't this the consumer to decide? What happens when the same consumer says, "i don't think this game is worth $50. I'm going to download it instead."

I know there's no answer, but something to consider when game marketing tells us whats good or bad, and the consumers say other wise...
If you do not have the money to buy a game, and you know you do not value the game at the market rate, (i.e. if piracy weren't an option, you would not spend market rate on it) and you pirate it, you are not stealing the software.

Software is not a tangible thing; its replication and piracy does not mean devs have one less copy. In that respect, it cannot be compared to "stealing" in any way.

Listen to the audio clip in my sig (kinda drawn out, but gives you the picture.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post
LOL.... Do you have anything you want to sell? Name your price and I'll give you 1/4 of that price for the item.
YOU'RE NOT LOSING MONEY!!! YOU'RE JUST NOT MAKING AS MUCH!!!1!11!!!1
Again, software is not an object. The principles and questions of ethics surrounding software distribution are different from those of a DVD, a car, a TV, etc. (That's not what that stupid anti-piracy ad in movie theatres would have you believe).
post #53 of 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cait Sith Cat View Post
If you do not have the money to buy a game, and you know you do not value the game at the market rate, (i.e. if piracy weren't an option, you would not spend market rate on it) and you pirate it, you are not stealing the software.
Could you software theives please cut this "HAY ITZ NOT PIRACY CUZ I'M A BROKE JOKE!" crap already?

This is pure, unadulterated BS. Piracy is theft. If you don't like the price of a game, either don't play it, or wait until the price drops low enough for you to afford.

edit: You make make up all of the theories and excuses you want, and it still won't change the fact that you are playing a game you DID NOT purchase the rights to play.

You are basically saying "Screw you!" to every underpaid programmer who has ever spent months on end of sleepless nights with his peers to finish a game... just to drop it into the hands of a bunch of broke, disrespectful, ungrateful punks who would rather sit at home and make excuses for themselves than go out and get a !@$%#& paper route!
post #54 of 203
I just feel it needs to be said, many to pirate software/games do it becasue they can not afford to buy it. so are company's really losing money, I think not because those that download for the reason i just stated wouldn't be able to buy it anyway. that goes for music as well.
its like going over to a friends to watch TV because you don't own one.
post #55 of 203
I think a lot of you are misinterpreting the meaning of 'losing money'. By losing money they don't mean 'experiencing a net loss' rather than 'losing potential revenue to pirates.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.MidЯange View Post
What makes me sick are people who do not understand the word "sharing". The game comes from somewhere, not nowhere. Also, I so called "steal" cause the industry is too stupid to actually give a half decent demo that will do justice to the final product. Finally, games are just too expensive for the damn "7 hours" gameplay. I demo the game, then wait for the price to drop (if I am still interested).

Heck, I downloaded Stalker: Shadows of Chernobyl, and now I am going to buy it, just cause the game is awesome.

Or what else makes me sick, are people who buy into the lies that are told to them by the industry. Enjoy being a puppet.
A puppet? I hope you really don't think you're some sort of elitist rebel because you don't 'surrender yourself to the industry's lies' or whatever.
PWNzershreck
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4930K @ 4.6 GHz ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition MSI GTX 1080 FE Heatkiller Acetal 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600C9 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2x Samsung 840 Pro  ASUS DVD-RW SATA Koolance 380i & 2x HW Labs 480GTX Arch Linux x86_64, Windows 7 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG UC88-B Ultrawide, ASUS VS278Q Ducky Corsair AX1200i Caselabs STH10 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G500 Func 1030 ASUS Xonar Essence STX 
  hide details  
Reply
PWNzershreck
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4930K @ 4.6 GHz ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition MSI GTX 1080 FE Heatkiller Acetal 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600C9 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2x Samsung 840 Pro  ASUS DVD-RW SATA Koolance 380i & 2x HW Labs 480GTX Arch Linux x86_64, Windows 7 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG UC88-B Ultrawide, ASUS VS278Q Ducky Corsair AX1200i Caselabs STH10 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G500 Func 1030 ASUS Xonar Essence STX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #56 of 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by iandh View Post
Could you software theives please cut this "HAY ITZ NOT PIRACY CUZ I'M A BROKE JOKE!" crap already?

This is pure, unadulterated BS. Piracy is theft. If you don't like the price of a game, either don't play it, or wait until the price drops low enough for you to afford.
I didn't see any joke in my post. Try debating the topic instead of trolling it. Also, don't try to dumb what I say down by passing it through your "dip****" all-caps-haxxor parser. If you're going to debate a topic, especially one that people take seriously and apparently get quite angry over, then argue a point or a counterpoint, don't mock and name-call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binormalkilla View Post
I think a lot of you are misinterpreting the meaning of 'losing money'. By losing money they don't experiencing a net loss' rather 'losing potential revenue to pirates'


A puppet? I hope you really don't think you're some sort of elitist rebel because you don't 'surrender yourself to the industry's lies' or whatever.

If you're in college, I bet you're one of those kids that plays frisbee too much and is anti-everything.
Hey, I play ultimate and I'm not 'anti-everything'. <_<

And yes, I understand your point about opportunity cost/loss. Look at it this way:

Let's assume for a moment that a piece of software 'softWare' is un-pirateable. You can't hack it. No way. It costs sPrice dollars. The question someone can ask is, "Would I pay that much for softWare?" If the answer is no, then in the current world, piracy is not stealing by way of the fact that the company wouldn't have had that money anyway.

On the other hand, if you were willing to pay sPrice for softWare, the question of morals can get a bit murky. Can you afford to pay the price, or not? If you can, it is the closest thing to "stealing" that piracy can be. If you do not have the money to get the software, then it's certainly arguable.

This is why not as many people argue vehemently over Adobe CS3 ($2500) getting pirated versus Unreal 3 ($50) or other games. There's no way in hell that CS3 at retail price is going to be losing potential revenue from college students dabbling with it to make 'lolcat' pictures, but Epic could be losing potential revenue from those same students who have UT lans every Friday.
post #57 of 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by binormalkilla View Post
I think a lot of you are misinterpreting the meaning of 'losing money'. By losing money they don't experiencing a net loss' rather 'losing potential revenue to pirates'


A puppet? I hope you really don't think you're some sort of elitist rebel because you don't 'surrender yourself to the industry's lies' or whatever.
na. I just couldn't find anything else to add on. Just had to make it sound rebellious.
My PC
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD X6 1055T @ Stock ATM ASUS M4A79T Deluxe Crossfire Mobo ASUS 6970 Direct Cu II 2x4GB Patriot Extreme 1333 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSKeyboard
1xWD Black 1TB 1xWD Green 1TB Pioneer D-180 Windows 7 Pro Saitek cyborg .5 
PowerCaseMouse
Antect True Power New 650W Mod Zalman GS1000 HP Voodoo DNA Mouse 
  hide details  
Reply
My PC
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD X6 1055T @ Stock ATM ASUS M4A79T Deluxe Crossfire Mobo ASUS 6970 Direct Cu II 2x4GB Patriot Extreme 1333 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSKeyboard
1xWD Black 1TB 1xWD Green 1TB Pioneer D-180 Windows 7 Pro Saitek cyborg .5 
PowerCaseMouse
Antect True Power New 650W Mod Zalman GS1000 HP Voodoo DNA Mouse 
  hide details  
Reply
post #58 of 203
but what I am saying is many steal it becasue they cant afford to buy it. so really sense it would not be bought anyway how is it a loss
post #59 of 203
Because you cant afford to buy something it is suddenly A-OK to steal it?!?!

That is total rubbish.

If you don't even have enough money to buy a $50 video game, what the heck are you doing wasting your time playing video games?????

Go mow a lawn or something!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cait Sith Cat View Post
I didn't see any joke in my post. Try debating the topic instead of trolling it. Also, don't try to dumb what I say down by passing it through your "dip****" all-caps-haxxor parser. If you're going to debate a topic, especially one that people take seriously and apparently get quite angry over, then argue a point or a counterpoint, don't mock and name-call.
Would you mind replying to the point made in my post insead of nit-picking my obviously sarcastic jab at the preferred dialect of many software pirates?

Also, I was calling software pirates "BROKE JOKES" not your post bud. Hooray for reading comprehension!

Btw, I edited all of the capitals out of my post above, and have now switched to bold text, in hopes that it may now be easier for you to provide a counterpoint.
post #60 of 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by iandh View Post
Because you cant afford to buy something it is suddenly A-OK to steal it?!?!

That is total rubbish.

If you don't even have enough money to buy a $50 video game, WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU DOING WASTING YOUR TIME PLAYING VIDEO GAMES?????

GO MOW A LAWN OR SOMETHING!!!!!
I did not say it was OK to do, just that it is often why.

I am mainly reffering to buying the new latest new thing when it comes out. many people have computers already so they are not buying a whole system, its just a way some try to stay current with their peer's. hopefully in a couple years when the title comes down in price they will buy it.

again not saying its ok to do, but it is a reason many do it.

I was having this discussion with a friend of mine and he said this " if i could not download i just would not have anything"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Software News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [bit-tech.net]Piracy 'sales' charts on games