Here's several days worth of modding compressed into one update. I've been working on it, I just haven't posted any updates
In the last update you could see there were a ton of scratches in the bondo. It just wasn't thick enough, and I did not have enough room (depth) to make it smooth. One more coat of bondo later I was able to work it down to something more reasonable. Sanded it down somewhat fine although I'll go over it again with 220 and probably 320 grit, but I'll wait until everything else is done so I don't have to redo my work
. Also put on a coat of primer just because.
Time to test fit the DVD drive and the fan controller.
This proves another point. The camera I use isn't necessarily crappy, just the 1" screen makes it hard to tell what is in focus. As I was just about to describe the dust inside the drive bays...
Lol, instead, what you were supposed to see was where I broke the pin hole to open the drive bay. I recently sealed that back up, but no pic yet.
Now for the side panel.
After much heartache, sorrow, and many sleepless nights wrestling with the idea of how I would conquer this side panel, I decided to use this design.
Finished cutting it out
Smoothed out the edges a little
I'd like to ask for a brief moment of silence to remember my beloved sandals that are no longer with us. As you see in the pic above I am now forced to wear plastic-y blue and yellow slip on sandals. My old war-hardened two strap sandals got thrown away. Only one sole was broken, and they were conveniently comfortable when worn without tightening the straps. Plus they didn't slip off as easily because of the extra strap behind the heel. They had lovely spots of paint, and were beautifully worn and frayed. I hope I don't fall off a ladder and die because of these new slip-ons.
Anyway, getting back on topic, here's the next part of the long update.
What's this, more bondo? You thought I was done didn't you
Like I described before, this is just because now the side panels are lower than the front and top. The bondo on the side panels is just to smooth it out.
I never thought I would do this, but I decided I needed to sand down the other side panel so I could properly apply bondo and paint to the bare metal.
Of course, the other side panel took me long enough, and this one had many many more coats of paint on top of the original paint. I had to sand down at least seven coats of paint...
Later that day...
I actually switched from hand sanding to a electric sander which I used to take off a lot of the paint. It still took a long time
That's about it for now. I have more progress with the bondo since I've sanded down the other panel, but not a lot and I haven't taken pics yet.
One last picture
The end is almost in sight, at least final painting anyway.