3K views 47 replies 36 participants last post by  JCJP 
#1 ·
See less See more
#6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by startekee
View Post

When new drivers come out, I'm sure those fps will increase by at least 10

Not likely. Nvidia Drivers tend not to increase performance because the make them good since the beggining. ATi in the other hand starts with crapy i mean crapy drivers.

Edit: Did anyone see Quad SLi for Ultra and 9800GTX.

#7 ·
Very nice pics...if only this forum were quicker i wouldnt have to wait for each pic to load =P

#9 ·
How come not tests with AA/AF? Does nobody play with those settings anymore, or are the numbers too disappointing to share?

#10 ·
I thought the 9800GTX used the G92-420 core. Anyway I doubt we'll see any big increases in performance because they've had plenty of time to perfect drivers (IE: 8800GT/8800GTS). Oh yeah, rebranding FTL.
I don't know why they bother blurring the numbers on the core because I can still read them.

#14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by startekee View Post
yes but no drivers for the 9800gtx were released as yet
This isn't some radical new internal CF thing like the 3870x2, its just an overclocked G92 GTS with an extra SLI connector, so the drivers have been out for a few months now.

#15 ·
Forceware 174.40 is designed to increase the performance of the 9800GTX. So there are drivers for the 9800GTX and I doubt we'll see much of an improvement because the card is nothing more than an overclocked G92 8800GTS with tri-SLi.

#16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by C.Jackson View Post
Forceware 174.40 is designed to increase the performance of the 9800GTX. So there are drivers for the 9800GTX and I doubt we'll see much of an improvement because the card is nothing more than an overclocked G92 8800GTS with tri-SLi.
Well yes but I haven't seen benchies where the G92 GTS is beating the crap out of an ultra...ever.

#17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by joemaniaci View Post
This is just the 8800GTS with tri-sli, nothing more.
that may not be correct. It was reported that the 9800GTX uses a slightly higher core voltage as well as faster memory.

#18 ·
I doubt it will beat the Ultra unless it's overclocked even more. The best way for nVidia to beat the Ultra would have been G92 + 384-bit bus + 768MB = 9800GTX but they got lazy and overclocked a 8800GTS. Basically if you've got a GTS you'd get the same results from opening RivaTuner and dragging the sliders as you would if you bought this card for $300+. nVidia really got lazy this time around but I'm not that mad, I'll just wait on GT200 which knowing my luck will probably end up being a die shrink of the G92 to 55nm.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Viper
that may not be correct. It was reported that the 9800GTX uses a slightly higher core voltage as well as faster memory.
I read this somewhere too. Nothing that'll help this card against a GTS at the same clocks though. I'd love to see a review where they overclock a GTS to the same speeds! I'd bet my grandmother that they'd be par with each other. It's simple really, if you've got a 8800 card you're still up-to-date.

#19 ·
I haven't read too much about this card but when I say the G92 on the core I kinda sighed. To me this should be a 8850 or something. It isn't a big enough leap to go right to 9800GTX... Oh well. And it looks like an overclocked GTS. The higher memory is probably where those extra FPS are coming from.

#22 ·
I think the overclocking potential of the 9800GTX will be much better than the 8800GTS 512MB. I think they added the extra power connector for this reason. I'm still on the fence as to whether or not I will step up. I'm not happy with my 8800GTS 512MB clocks of 764/1908/1069.

#23 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg121986 View Post
I think the overclocking potential of the 9800GTX will be much better than the 8800GTS 512MB. I think they added the extra power connector for this reason. I'm still on the fence as to whether or not I will step up. I'm not happy with my 8800GTS 512MB clocks of 764/1908/1069.
Well its not really a step up, its more of a step off to the side...

I wonder how much they'll charge you to step up, because if its anything higher than $30 its not worth it unless you want tri-sli.

#24 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by SugarySnack
View Post

I haven't read too much about this card but when I say the G92 on the core I kinda sighed. To me this should be a 8850 or something. It isn't a big enough leap to go right to 9800GTX... Oh well. And it looks like an overclocked GTS. The higher memory is probably where those extra FPS are coming from.

I thought the exact same thing. It doesn't even deserve to be 8900GTX.

#25 ·
I could see the 9800GTX being worth the $350 price tag if you never adopted the 8-series or went with a 8800GT. The GTS offers an upgrade over the GT, minimal but it's there, and the 9800GTX will offer even more of an upgrade. Plus the fact that this will possibly offer more OC potential and tri-SLi capability, which by looking at nVidia's slides looks like it scales incredibly well for the 9-series. While it may not be the 9-series we were all hoping for, it's not overly expensive and it's a building block to nVidia's next card.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.