Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [FoxNews] Woman Accuses RIAA of Illegal Spying
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[FoxNews] Woman Accuses RIAA of Illegal Spying - Page 2

post #11 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinja_ninja View Post
I just feel that people who are no real threat to the music industry, such as myself, are targeted more-so than serial downloaders. I might get a few MP3 every month through sources I will not mention, however I use them as sample tracks to see if I genuinely want to buy the album.

There are people out there who distribute thousands of MP3s without getting fined by the RIAA, yet 10 year old girls get targeted. Wrong no?
You assume things about who the RIAA goes after without any supporting evidence. Besides the fact that even a few MP3s downloaded per month is still stealing (meaning you are not innocent so the RIAA has every right to target you), there are many legal ways you can go about hearing tracks on an album before you buy it. There is no excuse to steal, regardless of how little or how much you do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gex80 View Post
its not the fact that she stole and got caught they are complaining about, its how they went about catching her.

The RIAA does not have the power of the Government. Even the Government is SUPPOSE to get a search warrant to hack/break in to someone's house/computer. What makes the RIAA so special that they can circumnavigate the law when the government isn't allowed to(but they do it anyway)?

Yes the RIAA should get sued for spying and searching without a warrant. Hell technically the RIAA isn't allowed a warrant to begin with since they aren't a government agency. So technically they just hacked a computer which is against the law to begin with. Only the GovernmentFBIPolice isare allowed search warrants. Not a company a bunch of lawyers that got together.
I made no comment regarding the tactics used by the RIAA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenFaux View Post
From the article:



They're using scare tactics to force people into settling regardless of weather or not they did anything.
If she did not steal she has no reason to worry and the lawsuit is worthless, so your point is moot unless you are arguing that they are randomly going door to door and handing out lawsuits alleging illegal downloads without evidence.

But she did steal, so she is validly targeted. Whether the RIAA's evidence should be allowed in court because of the method with which it was obtained is another argument altogether.
BladeRunner v3.0
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-5930K @ 4.6GHz Core, 4.4GHz Cache ASUS X99 Sabertooth Sapphire R9 380 Dual-X OC G.Skill TridentZ 32GB DDR4 @ 13-15-13-33-1T 320... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Samsung 850 Pro 512GB Noctua NH-D15S Windows 10 Home 64-bit Logitech G910 Orion Spark 
PowerCaseMouse
EVGA SuperNova 1000W T2 NZXT Phantom 820 Black Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
BladeRunner v3.0
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-5930K @ 4.6GHz Core, 4.4GHz Cache ASUS X99 Sabertooth Sapphire R9 380 Dual-X OC G.Skill TridentZ 32GB DDR4 @ 13-15-13-33-1T 320... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Samsung 850 Pro 512GB Noctua NH-D15S Windows 10 Home 64-bit Logitech G910 Orion Spark 
PowerCaseMouse
EVGA SuperNova 1000W T2 NZXT Phantom 820 Black Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargate125645 View Post
You assume things about who the RIAA goes after without any supporting evidence. Besides the fact that even a few MP3s downloaded per month is still stealing (meaning you are not innocent so the RIAA has every right to target you), there are many of legal ways you can go about hearing tracks on an album before you buy it. There is no excuse to steal, regardless of how little or how much you do it.

I made no comment regarding the tactics used by the RIAA.
I know i'm just saying that while yes i agree to an extent the child should be punished(a small fine like 100-200 dollars) there should be a process the RIAA uses. Right now they are playing vigilante with lawyers to make it seem legal.

I can walk up to a house down the street dressed in a suit with a fake legal document saying that they were caught downloading music. Chances are that person was probably downloading music. If i told them they had to pay me 200 dollars for getting caught or go to court, chances are they are gonna just pay the 200 just to avoid any issues. Thats scaring a person into paying you. No one likes to go to court, unless your a lawyer.

Now how would they RIAA know that they were downloading music unless the RIAA was allowing Illegal music down loaders to connect to them
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6700 Intel DP45SG Visiontek HD 4870 2x2GB DDR3 1066 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
320 Western Digital + 1TB Black Caviar WD Samsung Sata vista ultimate x64/Windows 7 Ultimate 64x Samsung T220 22 inch 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Dynex(Temp until G15) BFG 800 Watt Antec 900 Logitech G5 Gaming mouse 
Mouse Pad
Commando(none) 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6700 Intel DP45SG Visiontek HD 4870 2x2GB DDR3 1066 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
320 Western Digital + 1TB Black Caviar WD Samsung Sata vista ultimate x64/Windows 7 Ultimate 64x Samsung T220 22 inch 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Dynex(Temp until G15) BFG 800 Watt Antec 900 Logitech G5 Gaming mouse 
Mouse Pad
Commando(none) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 52
The fact of the matter is the RIAA time and again has proved that they are no better than the theives they are going after. The RIAA is a low life organization that will stop a nothing to get results. How many times have you read online that the RIAA is being sued or taken to court for violating a United States Citizens Contistutional Rights.

Im sorry the Constitution is there to protect us from organizations like this.
post #14 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargate125645 View Post
As far as the woman's claim about the RIAA intimidating innocent people, that's bull. If you're innocent then you have nothing to worry about.
I take it you've never been harrassed by anyone in authority over you even if you were innocent. If you are innocent then you shouldn't be harrased and threatened.

Quote:
If she did not steal she has no reason to worry and the lawsuit is worthless
It's not worthless to her, she has to pay lawyers money I'm sure she doesn't have in todays economy to take care of this, she has no choice but to hire someone to defend her from this companies suit. They can't be allowed to go around accusing innocent people and demanding they pay a large sum of money or be sued and by the way we'll aslo harrasse your daughter and hack your pc etc. And don't come back and sya they wouldn't be after her if she was innocent cause you don't have any proof of that, just like you told jinja ninja that he didn't have proof. Assuming someone is guilty because someone accused them is the kind of thinking that allowed the witch hunts to kill so many innocent people.
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570k ASRock Z77 Extreme6 EVGA GTX 980ti Superclock 4x4GB Samsung 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung SSD840 2xMaxtor 200gb RAID0 Customer water cooling with '77 Bonneville rad Windows 10 Professional 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
27" Korean 1440p Razor mechanical Corsair TH850W CM Stacker 810 
MouseMouse Pad
Razor Lachesis generic 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570k ASRock Z77 Extreme6 EVGA GTX 980ti Superclock 4x4GB Samsung 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung SSD840 2xMaxtor 200gb RAID0 Customer water cooling with '77 Bonneville rad Windows 10 Professional 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
27" Korean 1440p Razor mechanical Corsair TH850W CM Stacker 810 
MouseMouse Pad
Razor Lachesis generic 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urufu_Shinjiro View Post
I take it you've never been harrassed by anyone in authority over you even if you were innocent. If you are innocent then you shouldn't be harrased and threatened.



It's not worthless to her, she has to pay lawyers money I'm sure she doesn't have in todays economy to take care of this, she has no choice but to hire someone to defend her from this companies suit. They can't be allowed to go around accusing innocent people and demanding they pay a large sum of money or be sued and by the way we'll aslo harrasse your daughter and hack your pc etc. And don't come back and sya they wouldn't be after her if she was innocent cause you don't have any proof of that, just like you told jinja ninja that he didn't have proof. Assuming someone is guilty because someone accused them is the kind of thinking that allowed the witch hunts to kill so many innocent people.
But she isn't innocent so your argument is worthless. Why is it so hard to understand?
BladeRunner v3.0
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-5930K @ 4.6GHz Core, 4.4GHz Cache ASUS X99 Sabertooth Sapphire R9 380 Dual-X OC G.Skill TridentZ 32GB DDR4 @ 13-15-13-33-1T 320... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Samsung 850 Pro 512GB Noctua NH-D15S Windows 10 Home 64-bit Logitech G910 Orion Spark 
PowerCaseMouse
EVGA SuperNova 1000W T2 NZXT Phantom 820 Black Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
BladeRunner v3.0
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-5930K @ 4.6GHz Core, 4.4GHz Cache ASUS X99 Sabertooth Sapphire R9 380 Dual-X OC G.Skill TridentZ 32GB DDR4 @ 13-15-13-33-1T 320... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Samsung 850 Pro 512GB Noctua NH-D15S Windows 10 Home 64-bit Logitech G910 Orion Spark 
PowerCaseMouse
EVGA SuperNova 1000W T2 NZXT Phantom 820 Black Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargate125645 View Post
But she isn't innocent so your argument is worthless. Why is it so hard to understand?
Has she been convicted?
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570k ASRock Z77 Extreme6 EVGA GTX 980ti Superclock 4x4GB Samsung 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung SSD840 2xMaxtor 200gb RAID0 Customer water cooling with '77 Bonneville rad Windows 10 Professional 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
27" Korean 1440p Razor mechanical Corsair TH850W CM Stacker 810 
MouseMouse Pad
Razor Lachesis generic 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570k ASRock Z77 Extreme6 EVGA GTX 980ti Superclock 4x4GB Samsung 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung SSD840 2xMaxtor 200gb RAID0 Customer water cooling with '77 Bonneville rad Windows 10 Professional 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
27" Korean 1440p Razor mechanical Corsair TH850W CM Stacker 810 
MouseMouse Pad
Razor Lachesis generic 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urufu_Shinjiro View Post
Has she been convicted?
And that's the strongest argument you can come up with? Please. It would be the worst possible PR disaster for RIAA if they just randomly picked someone without evidence, regardless of how it was obtained.
BladeRunner v3.0
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-5930K @ 4.6GHz Core, 4.4GHz Cache ASUS X99 Sabertooth Sapphire R9 380 Dual-X OC G.Skill TridentZ 32GB DDR4 @ 13-15-13-33-1T 320... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Samsung 850 Pro 512GB Noctua NH-D15S Windows 10 Home 64-bit Logitech G910 Orion Spark 
PowerCaseMouse
EVGA SuperNova 1000W T2 NZXT Phantom 820 Black Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
BladeRunner v3.0
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-5930K @ 4.6GHz Core, 4.4GHz Cache ASUS X99 Sabertooth Sapphire R9 380 Dual-X OC G.Skill TridentZ 32GB DDR4 @ 13-15-13-33-1T 320... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Samsung 850 Pro 512GB Noctua NH-D15S Windows 10 Home 64-bit Logitech G910 Orion Spark 
PowerCaseMouse
EVGA SuperNova 1000W T2 NZXT Phantom 820 Black Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargate125645 View Post
But she isn't innocent so your argument is worthless. Why is it so hard to understand?
No your argument is worthless and nothing more than a pile of red herrings. Until she is actually proven guilty in a courtroom, she is considered to be innocent. The fact of the matter is that the tactics used by the RIAA are completely unwarranted, unconstitutional and criminal in their own right - regardless of the fact whether she did download the songs or not.
Desktop
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 E2140 @2.67GHz Abit IP35 Pro Radeon X1900XT 512MB 2x1GB GSkill HZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x500GB Samsung HD501LJ + 2x80GB (1.16TB total) 2 X NEC ND-3550A Windows XP Home 24" Acer LCD (AL2324W) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Executive PC P&C Silencer 610W AeroCool AeroEngine II w/ 2x140mm intake fans Logitech MX518 
Mouse Pad
Generic foam rubber pad 
  hide details  
Reply
Desktop
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 E2140 @2.67GHz Abit IP35 Pro Radeon X1900XT 512MB 2x1GB GSkill HZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x500GB Samsung HD501LJ + 2x80GB (1.16TB total) 2 X NEC ND-3550A Windows XP Home 24" Acer LCD (AL2324W) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Executive PC P&C Silencer 610W AeroCool AeroEngine II w/ 2x140mm intake fans Logitech MX518 
Mouse Pad
Generic foam rubber pad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19 of 52
Well, this has turned into a flame issue. Glad to see that Stargate is on the side of strong-arm tactics, illegal computer hacking, and being all around a pain in the ass defending a profit-only group of companies/lawyers that will do anything in it's power to avoid technological change.
My System VII
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II 555 BE Asus M4N72-E BFG GeForce 8600 GTS OC 2 Gig Corsair Dominator 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD Blue Caviar 320Gb SATA Lite-On DVD Writer (DVD/DL-DVD/CD Burner) Windows 7 Ultimate Acer 191W 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
MS Natural Pro 4000 BFG 800 Watt Thermaltake Sunami Dream Microsoft Sidewinder 
  hide details  
Reply
My System VII
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II 555 BE Asus M4N72-E BFG GeForce 8600 GTS OC 2 Gig Corsair Dominator 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD Blue Caviar 320Gb SATA Lite-On DVD Writer (DVD/DL-DVD/CD Burner) Windows 7 Ultimate Acer 191W 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
MS Natural Pro 4000 BFG 800 Watt Thermaltake Sunami Dream Microsoft Sidewinder 
  hide details  
Reply
post #20 of 52
Excuse me?! I live in a country where you are innocent until proven guilty! The case against her by the RIAA was dismissed! That means there was no basis for it. You can run around and tell people they can't claim things about the RIAA practices cause they have no proof but you CAN claim that this person is guilty of something that was thrown out of court?!
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570k ASRock Z77 Extreme6 EVGA GTX 980ti Superclock 4x4GB Samsung 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung SSD840 2xMaxtor 200gb RAID0 Customer water cooling with '77 Bonneville rad Windows 10 Professional 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
27" Korean 1440p Razor mechanical Corsair TH850W CM Stacker 810 
MouseMouse Pad
Razor Lachesis generic 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570k ASRock Z77 Extreme6 EVGA GTX 980ti Superclock 4x4GB Samsung 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung SSD840 2xMaxtor 200gb RAID0 Customer water cooling with '77 Bonneville rad Windows 10 Professional 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
27" Korean 1440p Razor mechanical Corsair TH850W CM Stacker 810 
MouseMouse Pad
Razor Lachesis generic 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Software News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [FoxNews] Woman Accuses RIAA of Illegal Spying