Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › How to install RAID1
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How to install RAID1

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
I have a 500GB SATA HD (not primary) in my server that has my life on it and I want to ensure the data on it is protected. I just bought a raid controller that supports RAID0 and RAID1. My question is, how do I go about setting up RAID1 so that the data already on my current HD is mirrored onto my new drive? Will it automatically start copying the data to that drive once they are setup in RAID or do I need to configure it? Is there any additional software I need?
post #2 of 11
Try PM'ing Chozart as he's like the king or google your controllers name and guides, might help.

[EDIT] Hope this helps - http://www.smartcomputing.com/Editor...12w02.asp&guid
post #3 of 11
I am no RAID god, however, I am almost positive you can not make a RAID 1 array and have the data simply duplicated immediately. A RAID stripes the data across both drives, and once you set up the array, it sees it as 1 drive, so any information you put on it is split (or copied on a mirror only array), you would have to format the array before it was recognized.

However, I think you have an easier solution......if all you want to do is backup current held data...........just add another 500GB drive to your computer as a stand alone, and then copy all the data from the old to the new.....then pull the new one out and store it properly.

It doesn't sound like you need a RAID 1 array, since you already have the data you want to save. A RAID 1 is best served to a fresh system where data WILL be saved along the way.

Now, if you will be actually using this drive as you go forward as well and you want to have the backup for all your newly acquired data as well, as far as I know, you will need 2 fresh drives to create the RAID 1 array and then copy all the data off your single drive into the RAID, leaving you with 3 total drives. Or use a backup service to archive the data on your old drive, then create the array and format it, then pull down the archived old stuff......
post #4 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
I am no RAID god, however, I am almost positive you can not make a RAID 1 array and have the data simply duplicated immediately. A RAID stripes the data across both drives, and once you set up the array, it sees it as 1 drive, so any information you put on it is split (or copied on a mirror only array), you would have to format the array before it was recognized.

However, I think you have an easier solution......if all you want to do is backup current held data...........just add another 500GB drive to your computer as a stand alone, and then copy all the data from the old to the new.....then pull the new one out and store it properly.

It doesn't sound like you need a RAID 1 array, since you already have the data you want to save. A RAID 1 is best served to a fresh system where data WILL be saved along the way.

Now, if you will be actually using this drive as you go forward as well and you want to have the backup for all your newly acquired data as well, as far as I know, you will need 2 fresh drives to create the RAID 1 array and then copy all the data off your single drive into the RAID, leaving you with 3 total drives. Or use a backup service to archive the data on your old drive, then create the array and format it, then pull down the archived old stuff......
Nah I don't want it just simply backed up. I will be adding more data constantly and just want redundancy. That'll really suck if I have to format.
post #5 of 11
Thread Starter 
No one has tried to implement RAID1 with a drive they already had in use?
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuffinMyLye View Post
No one has tried to implement RAID1 with a drive they already had in use?
You can't. Going to any type of raid config requires a wipe of all the drives.
The Leviathan
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 6700k @ 4.7GHz MSI Z170A Gaming M7 12GB NVIDIA Titan X (Pascal) 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V (DDR4 3200) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
2x 1TB Samsung 960 PRO 193TB unRAID Server 3x 140mm Noctua NF-A14 Noctua NH-D15 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro x64 65" LG 65E6P (4K OLED) Ducky DK9008 Shine 3  Corsair AX860 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Corsair Obsidian 750D Logitech G502 Proteus Sprectrum Denon X7200WA (Receiver) 2x Klipsch RF-7 (Front Speakers) 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
4x Klipsch RS-62 (Surround Speakers) Klipsch RC-64 (Center Speaker) 4x Klipsch CDT-5800-C II (Atmos Speakers) 2x SVS PB16-Ultra (Subwoofers) 
  hide details  
Reply
The Leviathan
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 6700k @ 4.7GHz MSI Z170A Gaming M7 12GB NVIDIA Titan X (Pascal) 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V (DDR4 3200) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
2x 1TB Samsung 960 PRO 193TB unRAID Server 3x 140mm Noctua NF-A14 Noctua NH-D15 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro x64 65" LG 65E6P (4K OLED) Ducky DK9008 Shine 3  Corsair AX860 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Corsair Obsidian 750D Logitech G502 Proteus Sprectrum Denon X7200WA (Receiver) 2x Klipsch RF-7 (Front Speakers) 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
4x Klipsch RS-62 (Surround Speakers) Klipsch RC-64 (Center Speaker) 4x Klipsch CDT-5800-C II (Atmos Speakers) 2x SVS PB16-Ultra (Subwoofers) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlocke View Post
You can't. Going to any type of raid config requires a wipe of all the drives.
Well actually that's wrong. My RAID card allowed me to setup my RAID with a drive already in use and it gave me the option to copy from the original drive to the new drive. It's currently doing that copy. It's gonna take hours but hey it's worth it.
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuffinMyLye View Post
Well actually that's wrong. My RAID card allowed me to setup my RAID with a drive already in use and it gave me the option to copy from the original drive to the new drive. It's currently doing that copy. It's gonna take hours but hey it's worth it.

Well if you already know how, why'd you ask?
post #9 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by F3t1sh View Post
Well if you already know how, why'd you ask?
I just found out now. I didn't want to go through with something that would erase all my data accidentally because like I said I have my life on this drive. Therefore I wanted as much info on it as possible but I wound up just going into the configuration and seeing what options there were.
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuffinMyLye View Post
I just found out now. I didn't want to go through with something that would erase all my data accidentally because like I said I have my life on this drive. Therefore I wanted as much info on it as possible but I wound up just going into the configuration and seeing what options there were.
Which RAID card did you get?

Can you put a link to it?

I don't have RAID on my mobo and I want a good inexpensive RAID PCI or PCI-e card for putting all my games and programs on to so they load faster.

Thanks!
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 EVGA 780i SLI 2x EVGA GTX260 216 Core Corsair Dominator DDR1066 4GB 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
XP 32-bit Asus MK241 24" 1920x1200 Crap Athena Power 850w 
CaseMouse
Ahtena Power - Rack Mount Logitech MX 518 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 EVGA 780i SLI 2x EVGA GTX260 216 Core Corsair Dominator DDR1066 4GB 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
XP 32-bit Asus MK241 24" 1920x1200 Crap Athena Power 850w 
CaseMouse
Ahtena Power - Rack Mount Logitech MX 518 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hard Drives & Storage
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › How to install RAID1