A two foot drop is nothing. There is nearly a full mm around the edge of the chip packaging that has no traces in it, LGA chips don't have any pins, and it takes one hell of a blow to knock off or really damage a soldered on, surface mount, resistor.
Originally Posted by dmbjohn
if solvents can get in the vent why not the water from the dishwasher
I said repeated exposure to powerful solvents. I've had trouble with 99.9% pure acetone before, but that stuff will take your skin off. Sometimes even oil based solvents can be a problem, because of their persistence, but that is rare. Worst case scenario (unless you have something like concentrated sulfuric or nitric acid and are trying
to disolve the chip in it) is that it disolves some of the tim between the die and heatspreader and the heatspreader has to be removed to make the chip not overheat.
Getting water in the chip won't hurt it one bit, just let it dry. If you need it to dry quickly, putting it in a toaster oven at just over the boiling point of water works very well.
I've had opterons and C2Ds go from being submerged in soapy water to being installed and stable at 50-100% OCs in the span of 30 minutes, with no hint of problems.
If they are not operating, most chips can take any temp that won't melt solder joints for moderate periods of time with zero damage. I did fry an opteron 165 at 300C, but that was just a stupid mistake with the setting on my stove, on my part.