Overclock.net › Forums › Specialty Builds › Servers › Server internet connection/Questions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Server internet connection/Questions

post #1 of 6
Thread Starter 
Hey all,



Anyways, I was wondering what type of afortable internet connections there are for servers, I will be hosting a website so I know that upload speed will be most important, as far as static and dynamic ip address, well static is prefered, but I could live with dynamic if I know how much/often it changed.

What are my options? (I would like to see a good deal, prefarably cheaper connections too.

Also, I want to configue a good deal of PC's to work togwether as a server on my website (FOr expandability etc)

What software would I use to "link" them together?
Oh The Glorrryyy
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 630 MSI THANG 2x4830 8gb Gskill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveMonitorPowerCase
2x250gb 1x100gb 1x20gb 1920x1080 23in  500watt Rosewill Open Air 
  hide details  
Reply
Oh The Glorrryyy
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 630 MSI THANG 2x4830 8gb Gskill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveMonitorPowerCase
2x250gb 1x100gb 1x20gb 1920x1080 23in  500watt Rosewill Open Air 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 6
You will need a business connection to legally host anything more than a small personal site. I would go with fiber - FiOS is great if it's available in your area.

You needn't worry about the IP. Dynamic DNS software is easy to use and often free for the service, it periodically monitors your external IP and reports it back to the DNS servers that your domain name is attached to.

You have a few options here - using a network of Windows servers or a cluster of linux/BSD ones. Either has it's strengths/weaknesses, but conceptually with Windows you have multiple servers and OSs working together to get the job done (web server connected to SQL server connected to FTP server, etc, etc) while with a cluster you have multiple computers configured so that they think they are one with SMP. (Think like HyperThreading, only in reverse)
Morpheus Mini
(7 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6700T SN970 GTX 960 Crucial CT102464BF160B 
Hard DriveOSAudio
Samsung 850 Evo M.2 Windows 10 Pro MOTU Audio Express 
  hide details  
Reply
Morpheus Mini
(7 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6700T SN970 GTX 960 Crucial CT102464BF160B 
Hard DriveOSAudio
Samsung 850 Evo M.2 Windows 10 Pro MOTU Audio Express 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 6
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipp View Post
You will need a business connection to legally host anything more than a small personal site. I would go with fiber - FiOS is great if it's available in your area.

You needn't worry about the IP. Dynamic DNS software is easy to use and often free for the service, it periodically monitors your external IP and reports it back to the DNS servers that your domain name is attached to.

You have a few options here - using a network of Windows servers or a cluster of linux/BSD ones. Either has it's strengths/weaknesses, but conceptually with Windows you have multiple servers and OSs working together to get the job done (web server connected to SQL server connected to FTP server, etc, etc) while with a cluster you have multiple computers configured so that they think they are one with SMP. (Think like HyperThreading, only in reverse)

Alright thanks CHIPP.

Well FiberFios is not in my area, altho like you said, its price is absolutly great. I have Windows 200Advanced server, but I was thinking of using Linux and having seperate machines doing seperate tasks. So what software would I need for Windows and Linux repectivly? Thanks Chipp, why cannot I rep you.
Oh The Glorrryyy
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 630 MSI THANG 2x4830 8gb Gskill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveMonitorPowerCase
2x250gb 1x100gb 1x20gb 1920x1080 23in  500watt Rosewill Open Air 
  hide details  
Reply
Oh The Glorrryyy
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 630 MSI THANG 2x4830 8gb Gskill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveMonitorPowerCase
2x250gb 1x100gb 1x20gb 1920x1080 23in  500watt Rosewill Open Air 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by iampoor View Post
Alright thanks CHIPP.

Well FiberFios is not in my area, altho like you said, its price is absolutly great. I have Windows 200Advanced server, but I was thinking of using Linux and having seperate machines doing seperate tasks. So what software would I need for Windows and Linux repectivly? Thanks Chipp, why cannot I rep you.
cause he's a director!

but for hesting a website on Linux, you'd need Apache (what most would also use with Windows if they don't like Microsoft IIS)

As a server distro, Ubuntu Server is very good and comes with a nice amount of stuff, including LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, Perl/PHP/Python)

if you want a GUI to work with, just hit "sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop", or whatever flavor of X-Window server you like, but remember that window servers open up possible security holes.

I personally go the Linux approach for home web serving, and use proftpd as the FTP server. Web pages are hosted through Apache... all running on Debian on a Single CPU, 512MB virtual machine.

do you have prior linux experience?

*EDIT*
P.S: for windows, Apache and FileZilla for ftp arent bad choices.
Are you looking to do DNS with the server or are you keeping a router?
Jesus PC v5.3
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-950 Gigabyte X58A-UD3R 5850 GSkill 1600 MHz 4x4GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
3x1200.12 500GB RAID 0, 2x2TB Deskstar RAID 1 Samsung Writemaster SATA Gentoo, Windows 7 x64 3x 21.5" Samsungs 
PowerCaseMouse
Thermaltake 750W RocketPwn G500 
  hide details  
Reply
Jesus PC v5.3
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-950 Gigabyte X58A-UD3R 5850 GSkill 1600 MHz 4x4GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
3x1200.12 500GB RAID 0, 2x2TB Deskstar RAID 1 Samsung Writemaster SATA Gentoo, Windows 7 x64 3x 21.5" Samsungs 
PowerCaseMouse
Thermaltake 750W RocketPwn G500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 6
10mbit for a couple sites, 100mbit for lots.
Big Daddy
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-4970k ASUS Z97-A 2 x EVGA GTX 980Ti Classified 32GB DDR3 1866MHz Corsair Dominators 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
2 x Samsung 1TB EVO SSD Corsair H80i Windows 10 x64 ASUS ROG Swift M 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Vortex Pok3r Corsair 1200W Jonsbo UMX3 Mionix 
  hide details  
Reply
Big Daddy
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-4970k ASUS Z97-A 2 x EVGA GTX 980Ti Classified 32GB DDR3 1866MHz Corsair Dominators 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
2 x Samsung 1TB EVO SSD Corsair H80i Windows 10 x64 ASUS ROG Swift M 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Vortex Pok3r Corsair 1200W Jonsbo UMX3 Mionix 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 6
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FearMeansControl View Post
cause he's a director!

but for hesting a website on Linux, you'd need Apache (what most would also use with Windows if they don't like Microsoft IIS)

As a server distro, Ubuntu Server is very good and comes with a nice amount of stuff, including LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, Perl/PHP/Python)

if you want a GUI to work with, just hit "sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop", or whatever flavor of X-Window server you like, but remember that window servers open up possible security holes.

I personally go the Linux approach for home web serving, and use proftpd as the FTP server. Web pages are hosted through Apache... all running on Debian on a Single CPU, 512MB virtual machine.

do you have prior linux experience?

*EDIT*
P.S: for windows, Apache and FileZilla for ftp arent bad choices.
Are you looking to do DNS with the server or are you keeping a router?
Alright thanks.

What are the minimum requirements for Ubuntu Server? Yes, I have some prior linux expierence, altho it is not much. I do hav some realtives and helpers who could help me out with it altho if I had any quick questions. Yep, I currently Use FIlezilla. I'm looking at doing DNS with a server for now (I think)
Oh The Glorrryyy
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 630 MSI THANG 2x4830 8gb Gskill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveMonitorPowerCase
2x250gb 1x100gb 1x20gb 1920x1080 23in  500watt Rosewill Open Air 
  hide details  
Reply
Oh The Glorrryyy
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 630 MSI THANG 2x4830 8gb Gskill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveMonitorPowerCase
2x250gb 1x100gb 1x20gb 1920x1080 23in  500watt Rosewill Open Air 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Servers
Overclock.net › Forums › Specialty Builds › Servers › Server internet connection/Questions