Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Windows › Windows Updates won't install after repair...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Windows Updates won't install after repair...

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
Just repaired an install of XP Home Edition and the updates won't install.

sum1 told me that'd i'd have to completely reinstall windows and since i'm going to be leaving in a few hours(back to cali, i'm in vegas @tm) I don't have time to start over...

so any suggestions? also a few icons are not loading here and there... any ideas?
post #2 of 8
Is it downloading the updates at all? When I reinstalled my Vista, I got an error where I couldn't download any updates. I think it had something to do with my internet setup. I had to change something, but it works now.

I find your avatar offensive! JK, its true though. I should have gone with Q9450.
post #3 of 8
I had the same problem when I did a "repair install" after swapping motherboards...this is exactly what fixed the problem for me...

Stop the Automatic Update Service


Click on Start, Run
Type the following command and press Enter

services.msc


Right-click on the Automatic Updates option in the Name column and click Stop
Close the Services window

Show Hidden Files and Folders


Open My Computer
Click on Tools, Folder Options
Click on the View tab
Under the Hidden Files and Folders section, select "Show Hidden Files and Folders"
Click Ok
Delete the Previously Downloaded Windows Updates


Open My Computer
Double-click on Drive C (or whatever drive Windows is installed on)
Double-click on the Windows folder
Double-click on the SoftwareDistribution folder
Double-click on the Download folder
Click on Edit on the menu bar
Click on Select All
Click on File on the menu bar
Click on Delete and delete everything in the download folder
Return to the SoftwareDistribution folder by clicking on the green up arrow on the toolbar
Double-click on the EventCache folder
Click on Edit on the menu bar
Click on Select All
Click on File on the menu bar
Click on Delect and delete everything in the eventcache folder
DV7T
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 (Lynfield) HP Pavilion Laptop NVidia GeForce GT320 1GB 4gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveMonitor
350gb HP CD/DVD/RW with LightScribe 17" 
  hide details  
Reply
DV7T
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 (Lynfield) HP Pavilion Laptop NVidia GeForce GT320 1GB 4gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveMonitor
350gb HP CD/DVD/RW with LightScribe 17" 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 8
I had that problem and it turns out that my system time was wrong. I had to change the time zone and daylight saving time options (during setup I just went next, next, next, next, finish)

The error code I got was 2 (on Vista), if that changes anything
post #5 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatIsChazaq View Post
I had the same problem when I did a "repair install" after swapping motherboards...this is exactly what fixed the problem for me...

Stop the Automatic Update Service


Click on Start, Run
Type the following command and press Enter

services.msc


Right-click on the Automatic Updates option in the Name column and click Stop
Close the Services window

Show Hidden Files and Folders


Open My Computer
Click on Tools, Folder Options
Click on the View tab
Under the Hidden Files and Folders section, select "Show Hidden Files and Folders"
Click Ok
Delete the Previously Downloaded Windows Updates


Open My Computer
Double-click on Drive C (or whatever drive Windows is installed on)
Double-click on the Windows folder
Double-click on the SoftwareDistribution folder
Double-click on the Download folder
Click on Edit on the menu bar
Click on Select All
Click on File on the menu bar
Click on Delete and delete everything in the download folder
Return to the SoftwareDistribution folder by clicking on the green up arrow on the toolbar
Double-click on the EventCache folder
Click on Edit on the menu bar
Click on Select All
Click on File on the menu bar
Click on Delect and delete everything in the eventcache folder
HOLY CRAP! I just decided to start over from scratch(other things wer still a bit FUBAR'd)

+rep for the detailed walkthru, whether or not it's late, lol. I'm sitting back @ home on my rig
post #6 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sledgehammer1990 View Post
Is it downloading the updates at all? When I reinstalled my Vista, I got an error where I couldn't download any updates. I think it had something to do with my internet setup. I had to change something, but it works now.

I find your avatar offensive! JK, its true though. I should have gone with Q9450.
it DL'd 'em all, just refused to install 'em. +rep for the re anyways.

lol. *whistles and walks away* BTW ur avatar is awesome

:edit:

FRICK! I twitched and clicked post in sted of copying and editing my last post.... sry admin
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
Just repaired an install of XP Home Edition and the updates won't install.

sum1 told me that'd i'd have to completely reinstall windows and since i'm going to be leaving in a few hours(back to cali, i'm in vegas @tm) I don't have time to start over...

so any suggestions? also a few icons are not loading here and there... any ideas?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555615
post #8 of 8
If he had the same problem I had, that Microsuck fix makes no sense because Windows Update downloads...but fails to install the updates.

BTW - Thanks for the rep on that fix...but it was actually a copy/paste, but I can't remember where I originally found the fix.
DV7T
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 (Lynfield) HP Pavilion Laptop NVidia GeForce GT320 1GB 4gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveMonitor
350gb HP CD/DVD/RW with LightScribe 17" 
  hide details  
Reply
DV7T
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 (Lynfield) HP Pavilion Laptop NVidia GeForce GT320 1GB 4gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveMonitor
350gb HP CD/DVD/RW with LightScribe 17" 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Windows
Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Windows › Windows Updates won't install after repair...